SASS Wire Forum

Long Hunter Cap n Ball Action Package

Cemetery

I picked up a brace of 51s in .44 recently, and am thinking of sending them to Long Hunter for some magic.

Anybody get work done on their C&Bs from Long Hunter? Thoughts? Likes? Dislikes?

Are your 51's Ubertis? They won't work on Piettas, just Ubertis.

I have heard his cap and ball guns are smooooooth. :)

Here's my question. I was told that Longhunter was selling the next best thing in Cap & Ball pistols. So I ran out and bought a set. And yes they are nice. They are my very expensive backups. So far the only thing I would not recommend is that they offer the cylinders to be open up to .380. I did and that was a mistake. But after it was all said and done. I felt a little mislead. I've been told that Long Hunter has nothing to do with these guns. If I understood right and please correct me if I'm wrong. Has turn the shop over to another person and has nothing to do with the guns. Again please correct me if I'm wrong. With all that. being said the guns are okay. But they are very expensive and after doing my homework I wish I would have not spent so much on them but instead went to a couple of other guys that do amazing work. And I did and that's why the so called Long Hunters are my backups.

I can't post the other gun smiths but with a little research on the wire you will know who they are.

Deacon Stone

So far the only thing I would not recommend is that they offer the cylinders to be open up to .380. I did and that was a mistake. But after it was all said and done. I felt a little mislead. I've been told that Long Hunter has nothing to do with these guns. If I understood right and please correct me if I'm wrong. Has turn the shop over to another person and has nothing to do with the guns.

How was opening the cylinders a mistake? Somebody else mentioned they did this, since the chambers were smaller than the bore, and it didn't work out too well.

I sized the chambers and bore on my .44s, and the chambers are larger than the bore.

I did read that Long Hunter had somebody working 'with' him on the guns, but I am unaware of him not touching any of the guns being worked on under his banner. I had guns worked on by him years ago, but I sold them cause I'm stupid.

What catches my eye is the cap fence that they do.

Jim (Long Hunter) sold the shop to Jared and Heidi a few years ago and has been out of the picture since then. To the best of my knowledge Jared does all the 'smithing. I believe there was a story in the Chronicle on these cap and ball pistols a few months ago (if not the Chronicle I know I saw it in print somewhere) and I believe the article clearly stated that these guns were the product of the new owners.

If any pards have an issue with the quality of their work I can only suggest that they give Jared and Heidi the chance to make it right. They recently slicked up a '73 for me (haven't shot it in competition yet) and they are currently in possession of a Marlin 1894 of mine for similar work. They have been kind and responsive and prompt and their work for me thus far has been excellent. Seems only right to give them a chance to address any dissatisfaction with their work.

I had contacted them and asked about doing some work on a cap and ball I owned. They said they only worked on the uberti guns as they back the work they do and they felt the uberti was the best made of the replica guns. It sounds from what

I have read that they do extensive work to the gun. They will be at Winter Range this year and will have some of their Cap and Ball guns with them.

I believe there was a story in the Chronicle on these cap and ball pistols a few months ago (if not the Chronicle I know I saw it in print somewhere) and I believe the article clearly stated that these guns were the product of the new owners.

I don't recall seeing anything in the chronicle, but would like to read more about their work.

Last year at Winter Range I handled a 51' that Jared had worked on, it was extremely smooth. I felt the price was fair considering the cost of a Uberti pistol and all the work he had put into it. The arbor's are always an issue with the Uberti's, not all gunsmith's fix that issue, Jared does. The article was in the December 2016 Chronicle. I looked at the pictures, but didn't read it. Here's the link, scroll down to page 34. The cap guard is a neat idea, but looks to be at additional cost.

Tully

Here's the link, scroll down to page 34.

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/16eChron/16decchron.pdf

I am a big fan of Jared's work and dealing with Heidi on the phone. I haven't had the chance to try out the cap and ball guns, but I have spoken in detail about it with Jared. Jared even has a video that's really well done on their web site regarding the cap guns. You will find a lot of useful information there. As others have stated, they only work on Uberti guns. If yours is a 51 in 44 cal, it is most likely a pietta I believe. Best of luck and keep us posted I am very interested in this thread.

Cemetery,

It does sound like your guns maybe Peitta's. I've had very good results using Larson Pettifogger's two part article on tuning the Pietta cap and ball, also Utah's article on installing a cap rack. By following the directions the guns become very reliable.

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_One.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/colt_cap_and_ball.pdf

Tully

If that fella Long Hunter...

Long Hunter Cap n Ball Action Package

If that fella would add a glove and bat to the package... we could play baseball.

Put me in... Coach!

(Joshin'... first time, in a long time... that I have felt good. Love that Long Hunter stuff. Over the years... folks that has had his stuff... have always been happy.)

ts

Archived