SASS Wire Forum

Cerakote how long did it last

Bullett Sass 19707

You might want to look into powder coating,it will last a lot longer than any painted on finish and it comes in many colors.

It's easy to find info on Cerakote on the Internet, and, companies that specialize in applying it to firearms. Query "Cerakote durability."

I also found that there is a similar product for firearms only: Cera-Hide (something like that)

This was on a Glock forum here:

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/cerakote-durability.1234926/

I guess what I picked up is that it might be wise to contact one of these firearms coaters and check with them to see if they'll coat a Ruger alloy frame and if they have a color you're interested in. They pay attention that the coating thickness won't interfere with proper function of the firearm. Anyway.....

I had a FN FAL STG58 cerakoted. Baked on type. We meticulously prepped each part. I put a couple of thousand rounds through it, with normal care and handeling. The finish held up well no chips or scratches.

I was going to post that Cerakote didn't have a brass finish but they must have come out with one recently.

Look at the gun in this link that has been done in their brass color: http://www.imgrum.net/media/1236451619588686554_1689305655

I have some experience with Cerakote. I have a Winchester 94 that I had done and it is a very tough coating. I have seen many guns that have been Cerakoted and it holds up better than anything else out there and it doesn't chip, like powder coat, but Cerakote is a ceramic based baked on coatng. They also have have an air dry coating but it is not as tough as the baked on. And YES, IT WORKS ON ALUMINUM ALLOYS. A great many custom AR-15s are a testimant to that.

Do a search on Cerakote Durabilty. See what people say in other forums.

Here is a link by Cerakote regarding how durable it is. https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/testing/

With a pair of SAAs in that gold you'd be the darling of the B Western set.

Just had a set of grip frames done in a custom mixed antique brass color by a good friend. Alloy frames can be done for sure. Just like with any finish application it's all about prep of the item. Cerakote needs a surface to adhere to for best results so the item is usually bead blasted or etched somehow. The best job is going to be by whoever does the best prep work. I love the look and it goes well with the bead blasting, some have told me they are ugly and others like them so they are perfect LOL. My buddy that did the job has been doing old army frames and trying to come up with the perfect mix. The base color that most are using is too gold for my taste and his as well so it's taken some time to come up with the right look.

21314E37-A9F5-401F-9463-B79FAC390B53_zps

Deuce, that looks like the color "burnt bronze". That looks nice. Did you Cerakote the frame too or is it bead blasted?

Typically the surface to be coated is "sand blasted" with 100 or 120 grit aluminum oxide but what is used also depends on the material being coated and the finish desired. Do not bead blast. Check out the link below:

Here is a link for prep: http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/news/article/surface-preparation-tips-for-applying-cerakote-ceramic-coatings/

There is another product that doesn't get the promotion that ceracote does and is said to be equal or superior to ceracote and is chosen for military applications.

KG Industries Gun kote. It still all comes down to prep though.

There is another product that doesn't get the promotion that ceracote does and is said to be equal or superior to ceracote and is chosen for military applications.

KG Industries Gun kote. It still all comes down to prep though.

Sgt, Eli, Cerakote will take more punishment and wear. It's a good product. I had a gun that had it on it but the Cerakote will wear better.

Sheesh, I am starting to sound like a commercial...and No, I am not a Cerakote rep. I just know about it because I studied up on it when I was working on my ARs.

Check out this video for a wear test that was done against Duracoat, Gun Coat, and a couple others, including Parkerizing.

This is a wear chart from the video if you don't want to watch the video.

Screenshot2012-03-11at81317PM.jpg

Archived