SASS Wire Forum

Incoming!

Started snowing here about 6:30 am; forecast is for 12-18" by 7:00 p.m. Winds running high, and some bands of snow will fall in the 2-4" per hour rate.

Fire's burning in the fireplace; extra buckets of water in the baths (we have a well with an electric pump; if we lose power, we're back to manual flushing); Mrs. L is working from home and squeezing in some baking, as well. Grandpa has his feet up in front of the fire. The Lab is curled up on the hearth.

No body is going no where.

LL

Sounds cozy for awhile.

18 this morning, be around 80 Saturday. Been like that all this winter.

While we don't have snow, we do have a well, so we also keep 12 one-gallon chlorine-laced water bottles on hand to keep the toilet functioning during outages. Hope all goes well for you and your wife during this storm.

Boy, I can tell that a lot of you old bushwhackers are retired.....

Ice, snow or rain, I run my practice out of my home....so I have no excuse not to be working unless the power is out.

Hmm...if the snow is heavy enough, and the winds are high enough, we might just see the power fail.

I feel like a 10 year old waiting for school to be cancelled.

LL

Howdy Loophole

It didn't start snowing here until about 9:00 AM. Prediction is for 12" - 18". I ran out to the store early to stock up on beer and dinty moore beef stew.

I dunno about you, but I hope we don't lose power.

18 this morning, be around 80 Saturday. Been like that all this winter.

Same down here.

LL,

You could use a generator. Living in the forested boonies in a sparsely populated area, we need ours several times a year. You could at least write a % off purchase and fuel due to the home office.

Unfortunately for poor Hubby, I don't know how to set it up and he has to go out, rain or shine to do so.

Regards,

AM

I spent a winter in Mass once. I much prefer Colorado.

It is storms like this that remind me of The Germinator. She had her profession, I had mine, but we were the closest when the power failed and the primitive things like food, water and survival were the important things. It has been 7 years now and storms like this bring memories.

LL,

You could use a generator. Living in the forested boonies in a sparsely populated area, we need ours several times a year. You could at least write a % off purchase and fuel due to the home office.

Unfortunately for poor Hubby, I don't know how to set it up and he has to go out, rain or shine to do so.

Regards,

AM

Ours comes on in a few seconds after the power goes out. it runs automatically once a week to keep the battery charged. That is a very reassuring sound

Someone (Rowdy Yates?) told me that his power went out... this was a long time back... and he and his wife were reduced to talking to each other for a day or two.

He allowed that she seemed to be like a nice enough woman and he wouldn't mind another power outage.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ah, the annual generator debate!!

Every Fall I start thinking about a generator. I'd prefer one of those hulking big whole house units from Kohler with the automatic transfer switch; but we have no natural gas here, which means we'd need a 500-1000 gal. propane tank, which Mrs. LL is not real keen on seeing in the yard and I'm not real keen on paying for. And then we have a Cape house, which does have natural gas, and will be even more susceptible to power losses once we retire...so maybe we should do that one first...or maybe some of those high efficiency Honda units could do the trick, with the pre-wired port on the outside of the house - just plug her in, start her up, and away you go.

So many choices, so many variables...let me do a spread sheet...Hey...it's Spring again! No more winter storms! Well, I guess we can put that decision off again... :wacko:

LL

Hey Loophole

The snow stopped around 6:00 PM here tonight. Looks like about a foot.

Biggest storm yet this winter. I hear the groundhog saw his shadow the other day, so we should have about 5 more weeks of winter now.

I did notice yesterday that the sun is setting later, spring can't be far off.

Ah, the annual generator debate!!

Every Fall I start thinking about a generator. I'd prefer one of those hulking big whole house units from Kohler with the automatic transfer switch; but we have no natural gas here, which means we'd need a 500-1000 gal. propane tank, which Mrs. LL is not real keen on seeing in the yard and I'm not real keen on paying for. And then we have a Cape house, which does have natural gas, and will be even more susceptible to power losses once we retire...so maybe we should do that one first...or maybe some of those high efficiency Honda units could do the trick, with the pre-wired port on the outside of the house - just plug her in, start her up, and away you go.

So many choices, so many variables...let me do a spread sheet...Hey...it's Spring again! No more winter storms! Well, I guess we can put that decision off again... :wacko:

LL

Here's a thought. You work from your home, right? Conduct a merger where LL World Headquarters relocate to the cape house. By moving offshore, your overall operating expenses are reduced, plus you're likely to get some sort of tax abatement.... :D:lol:

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Gray ME
1242 PM EST THU FEB 9 2017
...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT SOUTHEASTERN WALDO...
SOUTHEASTERN ANDROSCOGGIN...SOUTHERN KENNEBEC...KNOX...YORK...
LINCOLN...SOUTHEASTERN CUMBERLAND...SAGADAHOC...ROCKINGHAM...
SOUTHEASTERN SULLIVAN...STRAFFORD...HILLSBOROUGH...SOUTHEASTERN
BELKNAP...SOUTHEASTERN CHESHIRE...SOUTHEASTERN MERRIMACK AND
SOUTHEASTERN CARROLL COUNTIES...

At 1240 PM EST, a band of very heavy snow extended from southern New
Hampshire north and east along the Maine Coast.

Snowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour are expected within this
band through mid afternoon. Snow is expected to become lighter
towards evening.

Visibilities will drop quickly to near zero in this area of heavy
snow.

Travel will be very hazardous within this band and motorists are
encouraged to delay travel if possible until the snowfall rates
decrease.

Locations impacted include...
Manchester, Nashua, Portland, Derry, Rochester, South Portland,
Biddeford, Portsmouth, Brunswick, Westbrook, Hampton, Exeter,
Kittery, Bath, Rockland, Belfast, Gardiner, Camden, Henniker and
Alfred.

LL,

Our generators use gasoline; we have two. One that I carry around for my trailer or use at night at home (a quiet Honda 6500) and a big noisy one. Hubby is thinking of getting a propane generator. We already have two huge propane tanks (pool and house); this would require a third-I think. :blink: Whatever he wants to do is okay with me.

HH, that sounds great!

Regards,

AM

Here's a thought. You work from your home, right? Conduct a merger where LL World Headquarters relocate to the cape house. By moving offshore, your overall operating expenses are reduced, plus you're likely to get some sort of tax abatement.... :D:lol:

Slim:

Have you been hacking my server? Somehow, you are privy to my secret business plans!!!

And believe me, the real estate tax cut will be substantial once I'm able to decommission the present World Headquarters building.

Actually, I've been working out of the Cape most summers; laptop on the picnic table out back, with my Lab curled up under my feet; my wife calls him my "parabeagle". :P

LL

Another overly exuberant weather forecast. At best, we got 8-10" - about 1/2 the forecasted amount. Very light and fluffy; blew out the driveway in a flash this a.m.

Not complaining; it's just that you get all worked up and prepared for the blizzard of the decade, and then it goes "Pfffttt!!!"

LL

Archived