SASS Wire Forum

NRA's View of Judge Neil Gorsuch...

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

...can be summed up in one sentence from an article in the latest First Freedom magazine.

"Gorsuch follows the law as it is written, which shows that he respects the written Constitution."

That's all I need or want in a Supreme Court Justice. We can't expect nor demand more than that--simply an honest following of the supreme law of the land.

Just the view from my foxhole...

...can be summed up in one sentence from an article in the latest First Freedom magazine.

"Gorsuch follows the law as it is written, which shows that he respects the written Constitution."

That's all I need or want in a Supreme Court Justice. We can't expect nor demand more than that--simply an honest following of the supreme law of the land.

+100

Hopefully he is not totally constrained by Stare Decsis. Which if the Warren court had followed it would have taken until the mid 60's to eliminate Separate But Equal schools. With another SCOTUS vacancy filled by a Neil Gorsuch type judge in the Trump presidency we may see the end of "Penumbras and Emanations" in law.

Hopefully he is not totally constrained by Stare Decsis. Which if the Warren court had followed it would have taken until the mid 60's to eliminate Separate But Equal schools. With another SCOTUS vacancy filled by a Neil Gorsuch type judge in the Trump presidency we may see the end of "Penumbras and Emanations" in law.

It would depend on which decision the precedent was based on. In the now infamous Scott v. Sanford decision: " It would give to persons of the negro race, who were recognised as citizens in any one State of the Union, the right to enter every other State whenever they pleased, singly or in companies, without pass or passport, and without obstruction, to sojourn there as long as they pleased, to go where they pleased at every hour of the day or night without molestation, unless they committed some violation of law for which a white man would be punished; and it would give them the full liberty of speech in public and in private upon all subjects upon which its own citizens might speak; to hold public meetings upon political affairs, and to keep and carry arms wherever they went. And all of this would be done in the face of the subject race of the same color, both free and slaves, and inevitably producing discontent and insubordination among them, and endangering the peace and safety of the State." The implication here is that white citizens enjoyed the right "to keep and carry arms wherever they went." Not a bad thing.

Archived