SASS Wire Forum

Colt Dragoon - Problem with loading lever

Black Angus McPherson

I finally got around to trying out my Colt Dragoon copy. Nice, satisfying BOOM :D with 45 grains of FFFg although it shoots a little high.

The problem is the loading lever keeps coming loose after almost every shot. What's the fix for this? I backed the load off to 40 grains FFFg but the problem remains. If I go much lower what's the fun of having this big thing? :mellow:

Suggestions for a fix? Stronger spring? Deepen the cut in the catch? Leather strap to tie up the lever? :lol:

What's been working for those of you that have suffered a similar problem?

Angus

Usually that is the problem the Walker has. I have been toying with the notion to install catches like on the Dragoons, or perhaps an 1860 to solve the loading lever problem.

I have seen black electrical tape used to keep the lever in place. It doesn't look great but it works.

Do like they did 150+ years ago. This issue you describe was a "feature" on the original Walker Colt, too. Supposedly, it was remedied with the introduction of the Dragoons. You may be able to locate other fixes by running creative web searches. Maybe your Dragoon is defective, and, as previously stated, if the pistol is new, demand a replacement.

So, here's one common low-tech 19th century fix:

Take a very thin, very narrow strip of leather, wider on one end, pointy on the other end. Cut a tiny slit in the wider end with a razor knife and poke the pointy end through. It should be a tight fit. Slide the resulting loop over the barrel and loading lever, both. Draw the loop up tight, with the free end hanging down, under the barrel. Remember, the leather loop thong is thin and narrow. If the lever disengages when the pistol is fired, the tight loop secures the loose lever.

I bought it used so I can't return it.

Tape? Nah, leaves sticky stuff on the barrel and I plan on using the lever to load.

I already figured I'd use a leather strap if all else fails. I'd really like it to work the way it's supposed to tho.

2f instead of 3f? I'll have to give that one a try.

I've still got a month or two to ponder on this before the shooting season starts for me.

Thanks all,

Angus

Take the latch off of the lever and stretch the spring or put in a stronger one.

The previous owner may have used a cheater bar on the lever when loading and over time could have bent it ever so slightly. Doesn't take much to keep it from engaging the latch fully. You think it's latched, but then it lets loose on recoil. I've seen this happen.

Good luck!

Yeah, you may wish to consider not using the lever and instead, get a c&b, bp cylinder loading tool. There are several topics on just that subject...one fairly recent.

Archived