SASS Wire Forum

Ammo question

ORNERY OAF

Pards and ladies,

Just came in to a bunch of 338 remington ultra mag ammo....I've not dealt with this caliber and couldn't get the rifle with the ammo, it was promised to someone else..although I have been looking as it is a phenomenal round...is there a market for this ammo, looks like either factory or very well done reloads..I see the prices on this ammo as pretty high and the brass alone is expensive ...anyone know if this is worth putting up here or should I try to sell locally? ? I still have to sort a lot of this out but I got a bunch.

Some look factory, some look like handloads...I got a bunch I have to go thru...should I pull the bullets, which are beautiful and the brass and sell parts maybe?? Firstly I'm dying to shoot it but I don't know anybody that has a 338 Remington Ultra Mag. I've been looking around for a gun and it seems they are kind of hard to find now.

Ya I checked gunjoker, way to rich for my blood, the one for 700 needs a lot of stuff so it is out too....remington made the sender in 338 rem ultra mag but I think stopped last year. ..custom shop makes them but I don't have custom shop money;)

Ask yourself if you trust your well being and that of a very expensive rifle to an unknown reloader of undetermined skill.

If you do shoot them.

If not pull the bullets and recycle the components.

One of my brothers has a .338 of some description, I think it's the RUM. I'm not a masochist so I have no desire to shoot one.

If you think that stuff is expensive, look at .340 Weatherby.

LG-yes ive fired a tactical chassis 338 lapua a few times, bunch through 300 win mag(mdt tac 21 chassis) and a bunch of barrett M82 50....but not much exp with a big banger with a light hunting stock, my 30-06 with full house loads and the light hunting stock has a good bump to it..if i do get the 338 it will definitely sport a better stock, wouldn't mind finding a nice action and barrel and i would build it. I went through the rounds, a lot of soft points-norma , spire points and two different polymer tips like an a-max and white tip nosler accubond. i pulled one of the spire points it weighed 300 grains, and 78 grains of unknown powder. not h1000 for sure. I would imagine these are all reloads. Im checking the source and loader so worst comes to worse i pull bullets and brass-all reallly nice..

Archived