SASS Wire Forum

UPDATE on my duck. found her-dog did it

Trigger Mike

I looked all over for my female duck but when my son got home from school he found her hiding in some tall grass by the water. she and her mate were damaged but she was even more so. very fe feathers on her back and both had marks on their necks. the tell tale signs of my yellow lab. one likes to torment them and then lay nearby to watch them. i am now thinking her sister or the male dog a black lab, shepherd mix might have joined in the festival.

my son and i tried to feed them into a bin to put them in the isolation portion of my chicken pen but she recovered and got in the water and wobbles but can swim. we therefore put all 3 dogs in their pen that attaches to the chicken pen. they can't dig into the chicken pen as i laid hog wire underneath the dog kennel panel pen and put dog kennel panel or in one section a metal roof on top. we fed the ducks a lot of fish food to give them strength. we also found an egg in the water that i assume is a duck egg that the rains caught and washed out of a nest.

Though as much based on your earlier posts. Your dogs have established a behavior pattern. It will be extremely difgicult to break it.

My uncle had a dog that killed one of the chickens. My uncle tied that dead chicken to the dog's neck and the dog wore that chicken until it rotted off. The dog never bothered another chicken.

My uncle had a dog that killed one of the chickens. My uncle tied that dead chicken to the dog's neck and the dog wore that chicken until it rotted off. The dog never bothered another chicken.

Maybe they could apply the same idea in Chicago?

My grandfather did that to my dog. Cured him.

The dogs are both hunting dogs bred for retrieving and finding hunters downed birds. They are just following their instincts. It will not be easy to change their behavior, especially when there are 2 of them as it becomes a competition between them to get at the ducks.

Tried this with our German shepherd. Didn't cure her of killing the chickens and planting them with their feet sticking up out of the ground. It did make her smell really bad though. She would scale a 6 foot chain link fence to get the chickens. It was her only bad habit so I just found a new home for the laying hens. Still miss that dog.

Though as much based on your earlier posts. Your dogs have established a behavior pattern. It will be extremely difgicult to break it.

^

This. Same thing happens when a beagle starts runnin' deer... or diggin' outta the pen. Bad habbits... hard to break.

Looks like yore gonna have to permanently fence-off somethin'...

ts

One other thing... I kill beagles who continuously run deer, kill chickens or escape.... not what I raised 'em for.

EDIT: Whoa... this could mean money. Hey... Slowpoke... if I gotta dog that runs deer... maybe you can buy him 'fore I snuff him.

If you have a reply... please take it to PM.

Thanks in advance...

ts

Get a tub of Corona Ointment from the feed store (don't get the tube). Keep it at room temperature. Liberally rub it on her bare skin and on abrasions, cuts and irritations It wil help heal, prevent irritation, help keep her warm, keep parasites at bay, etc. Sorry to hear about this. I wouldn't keep a dog tat did this. My dogs learned early on who is part of the "family."

Archived