SASS Wire Forum

Do odd noises drive you nuts? Article on why...maybe.

Pat Riot

My daughter and I were discussing how certain noises drive us nuts. Those certain random noises that do not seem to bother most people but drive me completely nuts. To the point of getting angry and leaving an area or lashing out at the person causing the noise. She and I have certain noises that we mutually agree get on our nerves. Well, she found this link to an article regarding this very thing and sent it to me.

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/getting-enraged-by-specific-noises-has-a-genuine-neurological-basis/

Noises that "set me free":

• rattling plastic bags, like potato chip bags for an extended period
  • people eating or while on the phone with me, especially if they eat loudly. I need background noise at a restaurant
  • being in a restaurant and the only noise being silverware scratching and clanking on ceramic plates and bowls

There are other noises that annoy me, mostly due to Tinnitus but the noises or sounds above drive me nuts.

Cool! Thanks for posting that. "Misphonia" from "mis" meaning dislike or hate, and phonia, sound.

The crinkle of bags is a big trigger for me. Also squeaky chairs.

The sound of silverware on crockery doesn't bother me, to me that is the sound of people enjoying good food.

We went out last night to celebrate my wife's birthday. We met another couple at a steakhouse and when we finally got seated there was so much noise around me that I had to mute my hearing aids and when I did that conversation with the others just about became impossible because I couldn't hear. I unmuted my hearing aids and turned down the volume but then I couldn't hear what was being said either. Yes some noises are very irritating.

Incoming mortars! Dislike that very much. 175's going off when I am 20 feet away from them. And women's voices before I have my coffee. "-)

STL Suomi

I couldn't whistle around the house when I was a kid. It would trigger something in dad that would make him mad or at least moody and he'd yell at me to stop. I once asked mom and all she said that it was because of his experience in WWII in Europe. The sound of shells coming in.

Yul, I have the same problem in noisy places. But I don't have hearing aids....yet. I just have bad Tinnitus.

On the subject of Tinnitus, yes, I am highjacking this :)

My doctor told me that nicotine and caffeine exacerbate it and I believe it. I cut way back on smoking nicotine use (Snus and nicotine lozenges) and my ear ringing diminished a great deal. I am not giving up caffeine though. :)

I am still struggling to completely quit smoking and nicotine but I have a plan and I am going to make it work.

Screaming child. Not hungry or hurt just throwing a fit.

Okay, yeah, add screaming kid to my list...I don't know how I forgot that one.

Warden, more than once I have gotten into it with people like that over that same thing or just ignoring the kid as it screams. Drives me crazy.

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

Okay, yeah, add screaming kid to my list...I don't know how I forgot that one.

Warden, more than once I have gotten into it with people like that over that same thing or just ignoring the kid as it screams. Drives me crazy.

+10 and add someone tapping finger nails on the table-- rates right up there with someone else using nail clippers. For some reason clippers don't faze me when self executed!

The thing I will not tolerate is when I'm in a restaurant and some brat (not an infant) is throwing a fit and the parents are allowing them to do it. This is probably my number one trigger....it just infuriates me. The parents and the restaurant management.

I will finally get up, go to the restaurant management and tell them that we are leaving because they haven't put a stop to the disruption.

• Like 1

The thing I will not tolerate is when I'm in a restaurant and some brat (not an infant) is throwing a fit and the parents are allowing them to do it. This is probably my number one trigger....it just infuriates me. The parents and the restaurant management.

I will finally get up, go to the restaurant management and tell them that we are leaving because they haven't put a stop to the disruption.

We often ask for the smoking section even though we didn't smoke simply because less chance of brats.

Now most restaurants are smoke free but I have ask to set in the no brat section.

"No Brat Section" What a great idea. Do ya think any restaurant would actually do that these days?...I doubt it, but they ought to.

I have often been tempted to start mocking the kid screaming by screaming as well but right next to the parents.

When I go in to a restaurant I tell them I want a corner in the back by the wall. They look at me funny and will try to seat me in the middle of the room in a crowd. Usually I end up telling them that I don't hear well and I want a quiet place so I can talk to the person I am with. Most of the time it works.

I was in a restaurant with my Mom and Dad a while back and they seated us under a TV that was blasting and a bunch that was watching a game on it. The girl came up and asked for our order and my dad and I just looked at her and never heard a word she said. She looked kinda irritated and repeated herself and my mom spoke up and to her neither of us could hear her over the noise. She got them to turn the tv down and talked louder when she came back. The manager came over an offered a different table but there was no anywhere in the place that was any better. The hard part for me was she had a voice that blended into the noise that was hard to pick out.

Most of the time I am ok but the ringing in my ears get really loud sometimes and other times it is quieter. It started when I was about 14 and a bicycle tire blew out when I was airing it up with the air compressor. Shooting and working in factory years without hearing protection has not helped.

:angry::angry: Maddog McCoy :angry::angry:

Edited by Maddog McCoy SASS #5672

My above statement was the "nice Cat" that my wife wishes that I be all the time. Now, my wife gets up and we leave before tshtf.