SASS Wire Forum

mailing a handgun - need help

Deadeye George

I, an individual not an FFL, need to ship two single action revolvers (Ruger Vaqueros) from Arizona to an FFL address in Texas with a copy of the FFL license inside the box.

It appears that it is not legal to do this using the United States Postal Service so it appears that my only two choices are 1. find a local FFL dealer to mail it for me or 2. Use UPS and pay the overnight express fee.

Would this be a correct assumption or have I missed some new law allowing single action revolvers to be mailed via USPS Priority mail?

If you can help with the answer I would appreciate it but PLEASE......answers like "I do it all the time, just mail it" without evidence of legality won't help me and I'm not interested in shipping to Canada or California or shipping machine guns or bazookas or ammunition, just two unloaded revolvers from Arizona to Texas.

Have had to do this through UPS and it really went smoothly. Definitely some cost involved, but UPS is providing a service and for the most part it is hassle-free. Certainly if you could find a local FFL to ship it for you that might save you some money--or not, since the FFL will likely charge you the normal transfer fee as well as the cost to ship via USPS, whose rates all just went up on January 1 this year. I'd just keep it simple and go through UPS.

If I was in your position , I would check with your friendly local FFL first if time allows. UPS and FedEx both are quite expensive compared to USPS rates. Two Vaqueros in the factory boxes will easily fit a large flat-rate box , cost about 20.00 to mail anywhere.

Rex :D

Include a copy of your drivers license inside the box also.

It may not be like this everywhere, but among the 4 clubs I regularly shoot at, there are at least six FFL holders who will perform the service for a nominal fee for other shooters. There are also 2 pawn shops in town that charge me only $20 for a transfer. Twenty bucks, or less, plus a medium or large flat rate box ($13.60/$18.85) is much cheaper than overnight or 2nd day air. ;)

Make sure that you stipulate that you want a signature on delivery. Not sure about Fed-Ex but UPS has been making that a selection rather than the norm when shipping anything.

Even a "signature required" is no guarantee it won't be left by the door. I had a Bond derringer shipped back to me from Bond by UPS and it clearly stated adult signature required and my UPS guy left it next to my door when I was out.

Even a "signature required" is no guarantee it won't be left by the door. I had a Bond derringer shipped back to me from Bond by UPS and it clearly stated adult signature required and my UPS guy left it next to my door when I was out.

I also experience almost the same, but had the SG barrel sticking out of the box.

A friendly FFL will usually ship a pistol for $20 plus the Flat Rate Box cost. That's far cheaper than UPS over night service. My FFL will ship for a Veteran for $20 flat, including FR Box. I know that is exceptional, but it does exist.

A good solid relationship with a local FFL is always a good thing.

RBK