SASS Wire Forum

SASS New Vaquero Question

Shakey O'fart

I got my SASS New Vaquero's in .357 and have a question about the reverse paw operationl. It was my understanding that these come with the reverse pawl but mine do not turn counter clockwise and wondering if I am missing something. TIA

Shakey O'fart

They have a reverse pawl to help align the chambers with the loading gate. To get this alignment correct it has a spring loaded detent that engages the ratchet teeth. Cock the hammer and look in the hammer channel and you can see the set screw that holds in the spring and detent. If you remove the detent in many cases the reverse pawl will work. In some cases it may require a little more work for it to allow the cylinder to turn fully backwards.

Two reasons are typically given for removing the detent. First, if you have a high primer sometimes you can back it up far enough to clear the jam. Key word, sometimes. Checking for high primers is not something people should be doing while firing or at the loading table. It should be done at home as part of your ammo inspection.

The second reason is that it might help with a reload. For the past several years reloads on-the-clock have become more and more rare at SASS matches, especially matches above the club level. Even with the reverse feature a lot of people screw up the reload anyway because they don't practice reloads.

So, for 99.9% of shooters the reverse spin is of little or no value.

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933
  • Like 1

They have a reverse pawl to help align the chambers with the loading gate. To get this alignment correct it has a spring loaded detent that engages the ratchet teeth. Cock the hammer and look in the hammer channel and you can see the set screw that holds in the spring and detent. If you remove the detent in many cases the reverse pawl will work. In some cases it may require a little more work for it to allow the cylinder to turn fully backwards.

+1 .

If you want it to spin in both directions.

Cock the hammer and remove the tiny allen screw and spring .

It will then spin both ways .

• Like 1

Hole where detent is fitted. ({Punch in hole to show where it is.)

P1050524_zps7advlcpe.jpg

Detent, spring, and set-screw.

P1050527_zpsvilpbctx.jpg

To me the easier loading and unloading more than offsets any perceived benefits of the reverse spin. Unless I am installing s short stroke I leave them in.

• Like 2

I agree with Larson's last sentence in his last post...actually I agree with everything that he said here. I had shot original models for years and I have one New Vaquero and I really love the cylinder alignment when loading. I, personally, consider the reverse pawl on original models a waste of money and time. As for New Models I like the way they are set up from the factory so I will not be modifying mine. I am buying another one soon as a mate to the one that I have.

Like Larson said, check for high primers away from the loading table and if you do get one slipped in on you, pull the cylinder pin and remove the cylinder to clear it.

The only times I encountered a high primer I was using ammo that I didn't load myself. Once was a factory load and the other was when I was trying a load that someone else had made up but that one wasn't at a match.

• Like 1

Fire five, open gate, turn to hole, insert round, do a Clint Eastwood spin, and sliphammer like crazy.

• Like 1

Huh?...Red Cent, Eyesa, am I missing something?

Pat--- I was just following Red Cents lead on loading another round. Nothing to do with the OP. So far I've had no need for a free spin cylinder.

:D Ok Eyesa. I just thought I was missing something. :D

I thought perhaps someone posted something that got deleted to cause you Gents to post what you did.

Thanks.