SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder Shotgun Shells

Maddog McCoy SASS #5672

Does anybody know where I can buy some 20ga Black powder shells?

I will be shooting black powder some this year and I only have 20ga shotguns.

I am looking for shells with black powder or Black powder substitute.

I don't reload shotgun shells and would need like 6-10 boxes.

:angry::angry: :angry: Maddog McCoy :angry::angry: :angry:

Lee makes an inexpensive, attractively priced shotgun shell reloader, the Lee Load-All. It's available in 20 gauge. I suggest you investigate that option to start with, then see where you can get the best deal. It may be your best option, given what seems to be your limited requirement.

I had one in 16 gauge and it worked very well. I later switched to 12 gauge and decided to use commercial shells.

Start with this link.

http://leeprecision.com/shot-shell-reloading/shot-shell-reloading-press/

Cat Brules

If you have hulls fired in your gun you probably wouldn't need a press. Mike Beliveau put out videos on three methods.

You can buy primers in 100 increments and powder by the pound but buying shot in less than 25 lb bag would be difficult. Maybe someone that reloads shotgun shells would share you a cup.

Real black loading data is simple. One part (or less) of powder by volume to one part shot by volume.

Some substitute powders are more powerful than real black so use less powder. Something like 2/3 by volume to 1 of shot.

I apologize for giving information you didn't ask for but there is a reason there is not a lot of loaded black powder shells on the market. It's just too easy to just load your own.

I use a variety of methods to load black powder shells. Here I'm loading using a roll crimp tool by BPI. And I'm using plastic cup wads that simplify the process. Again, you wouldn't need the Lee press or Lyman 55 powder measure. I did because I have it. You wouldn't need the roll crimp tool either. You could just glue in the top card.

Lee makes an inexpensive, attractively priced shotgun shell reloader, the Lee Load-All. It's available in 20 gauge. I suggest you investigate that option to start with, then see where you can get the best deal. It may be your best option, given what seems to be your limited requirement.

I had one in 16 gauge and it worked very well. I later switched to 12 gauge and decided to use commercial shells.

Start with this link.

Cat Brules

This.

Easy peasy. I bought one for the sole purpose of reloading BP shells. You can usually find the press new for around the $50.00 price. You might as well buy it 'cause as soon as you try black from a scattergun, you will be hooked.

I had never reloaded shot shells of any kind before I tried reloading BP and with a little help from the good folks here, I had the process down in no time.

Since you'll only usually be loading 25 at a time, it does not take much spare time either.

Good luck!

Lee makes an inexpensive, attractively priced shotgun shell reloader, the Lee Load-All. It's available in 20 gauge.

Cat, the Lee Load-All will do a fine job loading 20ga BP rounds ... IF, there is a shot bushing to dump 61.75gr or 68.5gr of BP for the 7/8 and 1 oz shot reloads Otherwise, a powder bushing sleeve will have to be made. Or the option will have to be a Lee adjustable shot dipper and the powder dumped manually not using the slide.

Lee Load-All's with the supplied powder bushings are designed to reload smokeless rounds, not black powder

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/8307/inline/1

I have one of the adjustable Lee dippers but find the set of Lee dippers will cover off all the dipping I need to do.

The one item I've never been able to buy is a loading block. I've made several. First for 12 gauge and then later for 10 gauge. Sure comes in handy when doing 50 in batch that I tend to do.

I use Grafs Reenactor powder. As Grafs is right on my way when we go grocery shopping, no shipping or hasmat fees but have local tax.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23165

Edited by Warden Callaway

Gads Custom Cartridges reloads just about anything you need. He is showing 20 gauge for 16.99/bx. I've dealt with him and was very happy with his product. Call and talk to him if you want something special.

http://gadcustomcartridges.com/

Loading BP shot shells is easy. One night my wife came down to the loading room and announced she wanted to learn............SHE loads our shot shells now.

Knarley

Start with this link.

Cat Brules

+1 .

You could buy a Lee loader for about 45.00.

And never have to buy BP shells again.

Keep your hulls from the ones you shoot and reaload them.

I use a Lee load all to load my 12ga BP loads .

It works great.

There is virtually zero market for BP shotshells, especially 20 gauge shells. Even in SASS, which is one of the few places BP shotshells are used, there are VERY few people using 20 gauge BP shells. You say you need 6 to 10 boxes. That is going to run around $120.00 to $200.00. If you buy a Lee loader for $45.00 and then load 10 boxes you will be money ahead. Here is one source that advertises them and had some in the past. I don't know if they have any in stock.

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=125

• Like 1

Cat, the Lee Load-All will do a fine job loading 20ga BP rounds ... IF, there is a shot bushing to dump 61.75gr or 68.5gr of BP for the 7/8 and 1 oz shot reloads Otherwise, a powder bushing sleeve will have to be made. Or the option will have to be a Lee adjustable shot dipper and the powder dumped manually not using the slide.

Lee Load-All's with the supplied powder bushings are designed to reload smokeless rounds, not black powder

FOR A TWENTY GUAGE?!!!!!!! I don't use that much by nearly a third in my 12 gauge BP shotshells.

Griff - that's a square load! Sure one can charge a lower amount of powder.

I don't use that much by nearly a third in my 12 gauge BP shotshells.

Do they go Boom or do they just go Pufff! :D

Gads Custom Cartridges reloads just about anything you need. He is showing 20 gauge for 16.99/bx. I've dealt with him and was very happy with his product. Call and talk to him if you want something special.

Believe Maddog's search is ended ... get your credit card out. And Enjoy Shooting Black Powder

Start with this link.

Cat Brules

I second this... the Lee machine can be had new for $60. BP 20 ga shells would most likely cost you at least $XX/box. If you buy the loader, shot, powder, and primers, I'd bet that you would still come out ahead just loading 10 boxes. Loading BP Shot shells is easy as pie. I'm sure that you can get a recipe from any number of people on this forum.

Snakebite

Snakebite

Edited by Snakebite

I second this... the Lee machine can be had new for $60. BP 20 ga shells would most likely cost you at least $XX/box. If you buy the loader, shot, powder, and primers, I'd bet that you would still come out ahead just loading 10 boxes. Loading BP Shot shells is easy as pie. I'm sure that you can get a recipe from any number of people on this forum.

Snakebite

Snakebite

60.00 ! Were are you shopping ?

They are bending you over at those prices.

I just bought a New 12ga Lee load all on Amazon for 43.59 Delivered.

But the bottom line is if someone does the Math of buying BP loads,

Vs buying a Lee load all .

And making BP loads them selves.

Cost wise its a No brainer .

But Not everyone can or wants to reload .

There is a lot of good information here for them to make that decision.

Hand loading works. I got my kit when I bought 200 brass shells. The kit is a brass rod decapper,

a brass rod for loading, a brass guide and a metal base plate. Just place the shell on the plate

over the 209 primer, tap it down, scoop and pour in the Holy Black, tamp in a nitro wad over the

powder with the brass rod, add and tamp fiber wads, scoop and pour in the shot, tamp the over shot

wad and glue it down with Duco cement.

It works flawlessly, travels hundreds of miles easily and takes up almost no space. I have a little,

ancient 20' RV with very limited space and do my decapping, cleaning and and reloading on the road.

60.00 ! Were are you shopping ?

They are bending you over at those prices.

I just bought a New 12ga Lee load all on Amazon for 43.59 Delivered.

But the bottom line is if someone does the Math of buying BP loads,

Vs buying a Lee load all .

And making BP loads them selves.

Cost wise its a No brainer .

But Not everyone can or wants to reload .

There is a lot of good information here for them to make that decision.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Load-All-Reloader/741150.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dlee%2Bload%2Ball%26CQ_st%3Db

This is just what came up when I typed it into the browser.Obviously they are available for less.

Point being made was that for the occasional 20 ga BP shooter they could get setup to produced a few boxes without spending much money and avoid the task of trying to find a place that sells 20 ga BP shells.

It would certainly not be my first choice for shell loading, but if I only wanted a few boxes a year, and didn't already have a shell loader, I would consider one just for those few occasions.

Snakebite

• Like 1

I agree that an old Lee Loader would work fine. There are a couple on sale on eBay now pretty cheap, around $20. You could resell it for at least this much if you did not want to keep using it. I used a 12 gauge Lee Loader like these for several years before switching to a MEC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-LOADER-SHOTSHELL-RELOADING-SET-FOR-20-GA-/302209665678?hash=item465d198a8e:g:C4MAAOSw2xRYjlX6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-LEE-LOADER-KIT-20-GAUGE-in-original-box-NO-RESERVE-/172508534967?hash=item282a4f58b7:g:nBcAAOSw2xRYhoIy

disclaimer: I have no financial interest in either of these auctions, just picked them as examples.

Edited by J-BAR #18287

Check with people in your local area, you can probably find some one to do it for you for the price of the components (and maybe some rolls, a dinner, jug of hooch, you get the picture). I'd suggest a box or two before you go whole hog with ten boxes.

Jailhouse Jim is right!! Gad does nice work and I've been pleased with their products!!

Griff - that's a square load! Sure one can charge a lower amount of powder.

Do they go Boom or do they just go Pufff! :D

Danged if I know... I'm too busy watching the targets fall down... and trying to see the next one thru the smoke! :P:D:D

Thanks everybody.

I usually buy shotgun shells as work interferes with my time to get stuff done. I use cheap promotional loads for local matches, and trap, and AA or STS for big matches. I will probably just order 2 or 3 boxes to start, then if I find I need more, I have several 100 AA hulls or I will get some brass hulls and try making some.

:angry::angry: Maddog McCoy :angry::angry: