SASS Wire Forum

Antique Guns in Canada

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

There is a chance to go to Canada this summer to a town that actually has a SASS club in it. I have done some very preliminary research on how to legally take guns up North. It looks like a lot of work, but can be done.

In the course of my research, I saw something that said that antique firearms are not subject to most of these regulations.

Then I saw that in Canada, "antiques" are one year older than they are in the US. No problem, I've got enough guns that qualify.

But then I got a little confused. In a nutshell it *looks* to me that even if a gun is old enough to be an antique, if it can fire cartridge ammo it is not one. In other words a 1890 vintage Winchester 87 would not be antique because it can chamber and fire 12 gauge shotshells. A Colt SAA or Winchester 73 from the same year is also not an antique because it is chambered for .44-40. (These and other calibers were actually listed as disqualifying old firearms on the webpage I saw)

The thing seemed pretty clear to me. But can any Canadian pards confirm this for me? Antique or modern, I would of course do whatever is legally required. I just wanna make sure I understand the rules and don't get jammed up over the differences in what defines an antique and how it is or is not regulated.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Just Google Firearms Act & Regulations - Royal Canadian Mounted Police. It will give you everything that you wanted to know.

Where, in Canada are you heading?

The Ottawa Valley Marauders, (Ottawa area). The Wild Turkey Posse, (Prescott & Brockville areas), Ruff's Regulators, (Cornwall) are not too far from the Medicine Line and put on matches almost every Saturday through out the spring, summer and fall.

FYI, you can get a Possession and Acquisition Licence, (PAL) to allow you to bring modern toys into Canada.

If you take guns out you better have PROOF that they are your guns when you try to get back INTO the US.

I've heard but have not experienced that that is the tricky part.

Waimea

Can't answer definitively about the "antique" classification but will tackle the concern noted above about getting them back into the US. SImply fill out a customs form 4457 and have the guns verified by a customs officer BEFORE leaving the states. This form provides the proof that you took them with you so you will not be accused of importing them on your return.

If you stop by a US customs station and show them your firearms, they'll give you a pass that allowes you to bring 'em back into the US when you're done. That said, a bunch of us got PAL permits a few years ago and it was a real chore that involved taking their national test. In reality, it will be easier for you to borrow handguns, long guns are allowed after paying a fee, it's the revolvers they don't like. It will help if you get a written invite from the match.

Have fun, we sure do everytime we go up there!

To answer a few questions, I have a friend who lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He has gone with me to some SASS matches when he visits me in the states. I discovered today that there is a SASS club in Winnipeg, and my friend has an open invitation to me to come and visit him. The idea of also being able to shoot with him again, as he really enjoyed it, is a plus (but not a requirement) but he does not own any guns.

So, I am doing a little quiet research to find out what is permissible/easiest way to do it

Send a message to the contact person in the Winnipeg club, they can probably answer your questions and can help with a set of loaner handguns if the antique thing doesn't work out. Again, taking the long guns across is not a problem.

To qualify as antiques up here, the firearm needs to be manufactured before December 31,1897. It also can not be on the short list of "no go" cartridges ( includes .45 LC, 44-40, 38-40, etc.). That's for a revolver. So my original S&W #3 in .44 Russian qualifies as antique. Your SAA in 44-40 doesn't. For the shotgun, about the only guage that would qualify is 28 guage. All others are "no go". For the rifle, anything with a magazine is NOT an antique no matter when it was made. So single shot only, and in about .40 cal or larger ( not dead sure on the caliber but big is ok). Welcome to Canadian firearm laws. Get ahold of the club, and there will be someone ready to cheerfully loan you guns. Bring your own gunleather & shotshell belt. If you ever get to Ontario, I'll loan you guns. Lord knows I've got enough to go around.

I shoot regularly in Canada and have had no hassles. Just fill out US Customs Form 447, get a PAL,

an invitation from the match(es) you wish to enter and contact the club or clubs to ensure you are

following the latest gun laws. Some of the most fun that I have had shooting was in Alberta, British

Columbia and Saskatchawan.

I have NEVER had a problem at either border coming or going. Those of us experienced in International

travel know that it is imperative that you list ALL of your expensive items on Form 4457 including items

like binoculars, cameras, scopes, firearms, etc.