SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Phantom Trigger concerns

Jimmy Niner

I have a question on the Marlin Phantom Trigger from Slick Magic Guns. I installed the trigger in my 1894 Cowboy. The Phantom trigger installed fine; the break was nice and clean and the pull was just what I wanted; however, I noticed I could now pull the trigger when the lever was open. The trigger plunger was no longer making contact with the trigger at any time resulting in a situation where the rifle could fire when the bolt is not locked up and secure. Obviously, that doesn't work for me. Has anyone else experienced this? I read this trigger was SASS approved, but now I'm not so sure. See the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1O...ature=youtu.be

Have you tried talking to Slick about it yet? He is a great Cowboy and I am sure will get you some help with this.

Jimmy,

I had a similar problem in my Marlin 1895 with the Wild West trigger happy trigger I posted here. The consensus was it was my fault and not that the trigger was made bad, it too would fire out of battery not touching the trigger block, maybe the hole was drill in the wrong place in the sear and trigger making it short. Yes if you still have the 3 peace firing pin in your gun it wouldn't matter but like a lot of cowboys they have put the one peace firing pins in and yes it could go off out of battery. I put the stock trigger back in, may be floppy, but gun is safe again. Wild West was no help and I had it to long to send it back to who I bought it from. Like the one cowboy said Marlin work good right out of the box.

Your lucky you get to send it back.

Rough'N'Ready Rob

maybe to ease your mind a bit,,,, the out of battery discharges I've seen it didn't matter if the lever safety worked or not, it was caused by the lever being jerked back and forth during a malfuction and the firing pin had enough inertia to fire the round...

jmtcw

Edited by Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

The phantom trigger is a one piece trigger sear design. For that reason it can not allow the lever safety to work as it was designed. That is why the factory trigger is a 2 piece. The happy trigger works like a factory 2 piece but has a spring in it to remove the flop. The happy trigger will work with the lever safety.

• Like 1

If the lever is open and the bolt is away from the chamber how can the round fire out of battery if the FIring pin can't reach the round?

*Side Note*

It's always polite to contact the manufacturer before going on public forums with unhappy rants. I always stand behind all my products and support SASS/shooters to the fullest.

Slick.

Edited by Slick McClade
  • Like 6

Slick is making things right, so I'm not concerned about that. :) .

I replaced the original firing pin a while ago when I was working the action. I haven't tried the WWG trigger in this rifle but they work fine in my 1895 and 308ME. I was actually hoping the Phantom would work in my 1895's as the WWG trigger curve has an edge that brings blood after a magazine load or three. The PT has a much better profile and edge.

To expand on my original question, can the out of battery firing damage the rifle or cause the bolt to move/eject aft out of the receiver? With the block not in place that would only leave the lever holding things in.

To expand on my original question, can the out of battery firing damage the rifle or cause the bolt to move/eject aft out of the receiver? With the block not in place that would only leave the lever holding things in.

An 'out of battery' is a VERY RARE occurrence in an 1894 Marlin. And allow me to explain why.

First of all, when the lever is moved downward to cock the hammer (and eject empties and feed a new live round), the lever actually moves the firing pin rearward. So there is no part of the firing pin extending thru the firing pin hole.

If the trigger can be activated and cause the hammer to start dropping while the action is open, the hammer will do one of two things:

1. it will either pop up in under the bolt into the recess and cause the action to lock up until the hammer is manually recocked.

2. OR, your Half-Cock notch should catch your hammer during its fall, preventing it from hitting the FP. If you fully close your action, you will have to manually cock the hammer before firing.

AND, if you continue to use the factory firing pin system, your bolt locking lug HAS to be in its upward position in order to align the rear section of the firing pin with the front section before the firing pin can strike the primer.

I ain't saying that it can't happen, but in the 12 years of my SASS/CAS involvement, I have never seen a Marlin 1894 have an Out Of Battery. And from the Marlin's I have seen, over 75-80% of them have had 1-piece firing pins installed AND have also had the 'lever-trigger' safety bar removed or neutralized.

Hope some of this info helps.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054
  • Like 1

Slick is making things right, so I'm not concerned about that. :) .

I replaced the original firing pin a while ago when I was working the action. I haven't tried the WWG trigger in this rifle but they work fine in my 1895 and 308ME. I was actually hoping the Phantom would work in my 1895's as the WWG trigger curve has an edge that brings blood after a magazine load or three. The PT has a much better profile and edge.

why in the world wud you take the block out????

why in the world wud you take the block out????

Cheyenne,

I think he means the block has dropped down as the lever is opening. But again the OP needs to read Slick's post again to understand how an out of battery discharge would not occur. However where there is a will there is a way.

The OP needs to give Slick a call and work this out.

Mackenna

I've got Slicks, phantom trigger installed in my 1895 and have installed them in other 1894 s too.

I've never had a problem with them and they work fine.

Widow maker has the right explanation and for a Marlins to have an out of battery discharge is almost impossible.

Slicks products are great and he is a excellent support of SASS. On separate note it is very possible to shoot a Marlin out of battery, I have done it dozens of times during matches over the years.

it hurts your pinkies when you do that too!! at least mine!

Howdy Doody pards: Just wanted to add that the Phantom Trigger installed on my Marlin Cowboy Competition rifle along with the Widdermatic works is a fantastic shooting rifle and have not had any problems with Slick's Phantom Trigger.

You all take care, God Bless and see you on the Range some where in time.

Jackrabbit Joe #414