SASS Wire Forum

Power factor

Joe Breed

Bullet weight in grains x velocity in fps divided by 1000. For example 200 x 750 =150,000 divided 1000 equals 150 power factor. Believe power factor is currently 60. which would be a 100 gr bullet at 600 fps. GW

I use Full case BP and 200 gr bullet .

Power factor is ment every time .

No question what target you hit .

Or if you hit it .

Use what works for you .

This is what works for me !

Not judging .

Just saying .

As well as power factor, there are muzzle velocity limits for rifle and handgun loads. Found in the shooter's handbook.

As your question kind of implies, monthly matches usually will just use eyeballs and ears for guessing if your loads are acceptable. Sanctioned state and above matches should have a chronograph and scale available, because it is possible there will be times where loads need to be measured, not just "guesstimated" to be legal.

We don't have a lot of problems with this now that several major matches got serious about measuring suspected loads several years ago - the lessons learned stuck pretty well.

Good luck, GJ

If the rounds you fire just go "Piffit" and you have time to run down and move the target, your probably not meeting "power Factor." :)

Unless your first name is Clark. :)

From Page 12 of the Handbook:

The minimum standard for center-fire ammunition used in all smokeless categories in all SASS matches State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship Competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps. The maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400 fps. Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor and velocity requirements.
Power factors are simply calculated by multiplying the bullet weight times the velocity and then the resulting number is divided by 1000. Some examples are as follows:

• 100 gr bullet traveling at 600 fps has a power factor of 60: (100x600)/1000=60.00
  • 77 gr bullet traveling at 800 fps has a power factor of 61.6 (77x800)/1000=61.60
  • 200 gr bullet traveling at 400 fps has a power factor of 80 (200x400)/1000=80.00

I use Full case BP and 200 gr bullet .

Power factor is ment every time .

No question what target you hit .

Or if you hit it .

Use what works for you .

This is what works for me !

Not judging .

Just saying .

Power Factor only matters in smokeless categories. Black powder rounds in black powder categories have to meet the Smoke Standard.

BLACKPOWDER CATEGORIES

It is expected the blackpowder competitor shall contend with smoke obscured targets. To ensure this, all shotgun, revolver, and rifle powder charges must produce smoke at least equivalent to a baseline load of 15 grains by volume (1 cc) of ffg blackpowder.

And of course the load you mentioned would meet the Smoke Standard every time.

Randy

It's pretty difficult to accidentally load below 60 pf with 38 cal and above.

That is not true. I built and tested 105 g loads from 300 to 1000 fps, on purpose. My 650 would easily drop the correct amout of Bullseye using the extra small powder bar. I also tested with no powder and mag primer. All to see the min load that would clear pistol and rifle barrels. Then wanted heaviest 105 g loads to see how POA varied for difficult knock down targets.

Edited by Gold Canyon Kid #43974

.45 Colt packed with Holy Black and a 255 grain bullet and a 10 gauge 3-1/2" BP and 3 oz shot is my

marginal load. Hopefully it meets the Power Factor minimum!!! :-)

I didn't say it couldn't be done. You did it intentionally, not accidentally as I stated. I'm not talking about the measure being able to drop a small charge. I'm talking about the load data you choose to use. Other than SASS shooting there's not a lot of load data published for sub 60pf loads.