SASS Wire Forum

Napoleon

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I have been a student of Mr. Bonaparte. He was an interesting man, but I cannot say that I am an admirer. He saw battles in the simplest sense of force, but often defeated foes with the threat of a flanking move. He understood artillery and movement of troops like no one in his times. He knew the power of feeding his troops and keeping troops healthy.

He provided the ignition to a European powder keg of people ready to rise against old fuedal systems.

He had no understanding of the navy and depended too much on the admirals who had different ideas of battle.

His name can be attached to the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives and indescribable upheaval of the lives of millions.

His return to power and final defeat are beyond any writing or movie making efforts.

I have always found the following amusing. I guess the press hasn't changed much?

The following is a list of Paris newspaper headlines reporting the journey of Napoleon across France, on his return from exile on Elba, March 9 to March 22, 1815:

March 9

THE ANTHROPOPHAGUS HAS QUITTED HIS DEN

March 10

THE CORSICAN OGRE HAS LANDED AT CAPE JUAN

March 11

THE TIGER HAS ARRIVED AT CAP

March 12

THE MONSTER SLEPT AT GRENOBLE

March 13

THE TYRANT HAS PASSED THOUGH LYONS

March 14

THE USURPER IS DIRECTING HIS STEPS TOWARDS DIJON

March 18

BONAPARTE IS ONLY SIXTY LEAGUES FROM THE CAPITAL

He has been fortunate enough to escape his pursuers

March 19

BONAPARTE IS ADVANCING WITH RAPID STEPS, BUT HE WILL NEVER ENTER PARIS

March 20

NAPOLEON WILL, TOMORROW, BE UNDER OUR RAMPARTS

March 21

THE EMPEROR IS AT FONTAINEBLEAU

March 22

HIS IMPERIAL AND ROYAL MAJESTY arrived yesterday evening at the Tuileries, amid the joyful acclamation of his devoted and faithful subjects

Candy is dandy, but...

It's a family forum.

My kids loved Napoleon Dynamite and played it continuously for several months. I watched it once with them, at their request, and couldn't figure out what they were laughing at.

Then I started laughing at, of all things, tater tots.

I thought candy was dandy.

But likker's quicker.

I'm sorry. I had to do it

Light Field Gun, 4.62" bore, smooth bore, 1, 227#, 66" bronze tube (or 1,249# iron tube). Could fire solid shot, common shell, spherical case shot, and cannister. Range at 5o elevation 1,663 yards (2 1/2 pounds of mortar powder and 12# solid shot).

xPT0712.JPG.pagespeed.ic.YahkiA82XU.jpg

He had nice swords. :) This one is like what Napoleon's young officers in the Mounted Hunters of the Imperial Guard welded. ^_^

6xVzMh.jpg

ul2pmF.jpg

pJRpaW.jpg

LaVkNf.jpg

What did the use to weld it? MIG or arc?

What did the use to weld it? MIG or arc?

"Wield" :unsure:

Dern!! :blush: I hate it when I get busted by the grammar police. ;) Will someone come down to the jail and bust me out? :unsure:;):D:lol: I'd hate to think of my head being detached from the my body in the public square by the guillotine. :(

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663