SASS Wire Forum

Using Snapcaps in Shotgun Reload Practice

Bart Solo

I have been encountering a problem using Snap Cap shells during reload practice. I have a Stoeger that has been tuned by one of the better known shotgun gunsmiths. I say that to tell you that the cylinders and extractor have been honed and polished. Occasionally a shell will slide behind the extractor and block it from falling into place. The problem hasn't occurred using actual shells in a match, but I am afraid it might during a run. Anybody else have this problem using Snap Caps?

Edited by Bart Solo

Could be several reasons for that. Smaller diameter shell bodies/Very short shell length/Undersized rim diameter are a few. If it does'nt happen during live fire training then it's not an issue.

That is what I thought, but wasn't sure. My guess is the some of the metal snap cap rims are undersized. I have some dummy shells on the way from Brownells.

I don't like to use snap caps because they don't feel like real shells when pulled from the belt, so I use dummy shells with corn meal in place of powder and the same lead pellet charge that is in my match shotshells.

I don't pull the triggers when practicing loading and shucking out shells, so I don't replace the dented primers with anything. I already know how to pull a trigger, don't feel I need to practice it. Get the dummy shells out of the belt, load them into the chambers, close the action, think "bang-bang" when the gun is mounted to the shoulder completely and the practice target is centered, then open and shuck them out.

I know using heavy dummy shells is not a good idea for a '97, but they work fine in a double barrel. And I like not putting any extra wear on the lockwork by cycling the trigger unnecessarily Since you are using a Stoeger side-by-side you might consider this alternative.

I recommend against using snap caps for shot gun practice because they're too heavy. I say that because the added weight can let you get away with being lazy and or bad habits when shucking that you won't be able to get away with using empty hulls. For loading weight means nothing. Adrenaline during the stage means you wouldn't be able to tell if the shell weighs 10 grams or 10 pounds. But when it comes to shucking spent hulls, weight means a lot. Use empty hulls for more realism and thus better practice.

The Traditions plastic snap caps are light, but not as light as an empty shell. They work okay for a while but the plastic rims get all banged up and they break. The A-Zooms are heavy and feel almost like a real shell so they are good for loading practice but Shooting Bull has a point regarding the weight differences of the snap cap and empty shells. I don't think there is a "perfect" practice solution short of actually firing the gun with live ammo.

I really don't trust that the Traditions snap caps protect the firing pin that well after extended use because the brass plug that is supposed to simulate the primer gets dinged and almost looks as if it's a fired primer after a while.

The A-Zooms have a polymer insert where the primer would be but on many of them the polymer is recessed, probably from the curing process, and they don't look like they give that much resistance or support to the firing pin. But I am sure they are better that the Traditions snap caps overall.

I would love to find a snap cap that makes me feel comfortable that it is doing what it's supposed to do.

I recommend against using snap caps for shot gun practice because they're too heavy. I say that because the added weight can let you get away with being lazy and or bad habits when shucking that you won't be able to get away with using empty hulls. For loading weight means nothing. Adrenaline during the stage means you wouldn't be able to tell if the shell weighs 10 grams or 10 pounds. But when it comes to shucking spent hulls, weight means a lot. Use empty hulls for more realism and thus better practice.

+1

If you want I can set you up with practice shells that are almost as light as empty hulls. AFAIK they are lighter than anything you can buy commercially.

The primer has been replaced with a hard rubber insert that will protect your firing pin. If you practice with them in an 87 or 97 they are light enough that they will not damage the extractors.

I can also make weighted ones if you want a few of those as well.

I make them out of Hot Pink shotgun hulls so they are easy to visually ID.

Pit Bull Tex was kind enough to share his technique for making them with me.

Sedalia Dave,

I'd be interested in about a dozen or so of your "Hot Pinks." Can you send me a PM with your payment requirements and where to send the $$? Many thanks.

OK

Don't really mean to toot my own horn, but there are a number of folks that don't make their own shot shells and might be looking for this

Yes, it's mine, but I post it mostly as a public service

http://pvgunworks.com/product/shotgun-12-ga-snap-caps/

I use A-Zoom snap caps and it happens with my Stoeger and SKB occasionally especially once the snap caps get old and the flange beat up a little. Never has happened with any real shells. Don't worry about it.

Sedalia Dave,

Return PM sent to you....thanks

OK