SASS Wire Forum

1851 Navy

Jed I. Master

How often does cabelas run sales on their Navies? I want to pick a couple up and have heard they drop to <$150 upon occasion but they are advertised at $250 right now for the steel frame. Kinda wish they made a G & G replica (love the history). The black powder provision in the legislature is also nice as I can get it right to my door.

Like Judgem All said. The brass frames go on sale for $150 all the time, but I have never seen the steel frames come down at all.

Last best price I saw on the steel frame was $199 or $210

--Dawg

I think it was two thanksgivings ago when I saw the steel frame ones for $175. I'm still kicking myself for not buying at least two. Should have bought a dozen though.

I bought a pair of the 5-1/2" brass framed models the last time they were on sale at Cabelas. I already had a pair of the steel framed model with 7-1/2" barrels but I wanted to see how the brass frames would hold up and I wanted the shorter barrels. The only modifications I have made to date is to install Tresso nipples and a plug on the hammer faces to make them smooth. I have used them in two matches so far and have had NO problems at all either mechanically, with ignition or cap jams.

I plan to make them my main match pistols and see how they hold up.

Lucky grin_zpsebe960c5.png

Lucky

If ya don't overload them they will hold up just fine

15 grains fffg & round ball in 36s

20 in 44s

Will do ya just fine and be easy on the frame/arbor attachment

Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Pietta%20Confederate%2051s%2044_zpsvl4cp

I bought this pair of conservative serial numbered Pietta Confederate 44s at Cabelas on Black Friday sale year before last. On sale for $139. $308 out the door with taxes. I cleaned up a few sharp edges. The bolt spring leg that runs over the cam on hammer was way too strong. I stoned them thinner.

When you order or buy the Pietta from Cabelas, get the stare parts kit. It is a real value. I've not needed any parts yet, maybe the kit works!

I was recently reading about the 1851 Navy for first black powder pistol. I live in the Great Republic of California do BP Pistols have to go to FFL do they have 10 day waiting period. In other words could I order from Cabela's and have shipped to my house. As I recall there is some type of antique clause. There are no Cabela's in California that I am aware of!

I was recently reading about the 1851 Navy for first black powder pistol. I live in the Great Republic of California do BP Pistols have to go to FFL do they have 10 day waiting period. In other words could I order from Cabela's and have shipped to my house. As I recall there is some type of antique clause. There are no Cabela's in California that I am aware of!

Yes you can. They do not have to go through FFL. I have ordered quite a few, and I live in Oakland. Certainly you can up there in the Creek. Cabelas will ship them right to your door. I believe you'll have to sign for them, but that's about it. I can bring a set next time we shoot together if you want to play with them. Where have you been shooting at lately?

Yes you can. They do not have to go through FFL. I have ordered quite a few, and I live in Oakland. Certainly you can up there in the Creek. Cabelas will ship them right to your door. I believe you'll have to sign for them, but that's about it. I can bring a set next time we shoot together if you want to play with them. Where have you been shooting at lately?

Started shooting again down in Gilroy Coyote Valley. Stopped for awhile family, racing Motocross and moving!

Hope we meet up and I would like to get a chance to try BP.

I think it was two thanksgivings ago when I saw the steel frame ones for $175. I'm still kicking myself for not buying at least two. Should have bought a dozen though.

I bought a pair at that time, one of these days I'll get around to shooting them. At the time I thought it was too good of a price to pass up.

Randy