SASS Wire Forum

44 mag Marlin feeding problems HELP

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

I have a 44 that will not feed consistently. Occasionally when the lifter brings up the cartridge it

jams the bullet against the top of the back of the barrel above the chamber. I've had a good cowboy

gunsmith work on it but it still does not function properly. Anyone else have this problem ? Tried

different bullets lengths and longer seems to work better but not consistently. Thinking of trying some truncated cone bullets if I can find some in 44 cal. Am now using 200gr RNFP. Also tried 44 specials and they don't work either. I am really frustrated with this rifle.

Anyone have a few truncated cone bullets I could load up dummies to see if they will work ?

Edited by Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

Howdy Dee Mak.

I have in my notes that I worked on a Marlin for Dee Mak last July.

PLUS, I also have a note that its problem was "rounds rolling left and hitting high on the chamber entrance".

But, I don't have any other notes pertaining to any work I did, etc....

Naturally, I am curious, but is this the rifle I checked out last summer?

Thanks

P.S. - sending you a PM with serial number info.

..........Widder

Call SnS Bullet, they are just north of you. I use their 44 200 grain RNFP and they feed fine in all my 44's. If the carrier is a V shape, Change it to one that is a half moon shape, these work better in a 44. Also, change the loading gate with a new one and see if that helps. After that, call Widder and send it to him.

Maddog Mccoy

I have a 44 that will not feed consistently. Occasionally when the lifter brings up the cartridge it

jams the bullet against the top of the back of the barrel above the chamber. I've had a good cowboy

gunsmith work on it but it still does not function properly. Anyone else have this problem ? Tried

different bullets lengths and longer seems to work better but not consistently. Thinking of trying some truncated cone bullets if I can find some in 44 cal. Am now using 200gr RNFP. Also tried 44 specials and they don't work either. I am really frustrated with this rifle.

Anyone have a few truncated cone bullets I could load up dummies to see if they will work ?

I can give you my experience. I have an 1894 44SS that has been set up with the angle feed, and it would feed great using 44 special with 200 RNFP, but would occasionally hang when I would use 44 mag brass with the same bullet. Well, a good pard (Doc Fill Em) helped me adjust the tension on my extractor, and that fixed the issue. Now I can tell you she still seems to prefer the length of the 44 special brass, but she will feed both, I just never get a hang up, even with shooter error. The mag brass once in a great while might hang when I don't run the lever as clean as I should. just my experience with a similar rifle.

BD

Occasionally when the lifter brings up the cartridge it jams the bullet against the top of the back of the barrel above the chamber.

It's a COL issue for every specific bullet you've tried. Different bullets require different seating depths