SASS Wire Forum

Got my Leather..I'm ready to shoot!

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

As a Christmas present, my lovely wife took me down to CLASSIC LEATHER WORKS to meet with Half-Breed Don to have my custom leatherwork done.

7f5106f1-1602-4b88-a5c4-f3281a93b2c7_zps

Don came highly recommended by:

Since you live in Tavares, you have a great custom holster maker in Altoona. This is Classic Leather Works, owned by Halfbeed Don, who shoots CAS with the Lake CO Pistoleros in Eustis. His phone Number is 407-669-1700. He does excellent work and has made two rigs for me which I use and have received many compliments.

Jersey Bird

Garth
I would also suggest that you talk to Halfbreed of Classic Leather Works as recommended by Jersey Bird. He is almost always at the Lake County Pistoleros monthly match in Eustis, next Saturday June 18.

Something to keep in mind when choosing a rig: Even though CAS is not a quick draw game, it IS a quick re-holster game. You'll find that you can loose a great deal of time if your guns don't go back to leather easily.

Hope to see you in Eustis Saturday.

After spending considerable time talking about the different styles and showing me the methods he uses to ensure a quality product, along with what I was looking for in a set of holsters, a final decision was made.

Just recently they were completed, and I couldn't be more pleased with their construction and how they look, as they exceeded not only my expectations of what they would eventually look like, but they fit my alias perfectly.

See for yourself:

Total%20Rig_zps0ga6zpii.jpg

Rig%20With%20Guns_zpsfvc765vx.jpg

Holster%20with%20Gun_zpsahbqoznf.jpg

Bullet%20holders_zpsiaqpk6dx.jpg

455db896-79e5-409c-9807-2bca70a04cbd_zps

Thanks Don for the beautiful craftsmanship. A true artist.

​Thank you Jersey Bird & Cypress Sam for recommending Don.

And Lots of Hugs and Kisses for my lovely wife.

I'm ready to shoot!!!!

yosemite-sam_shooting.gif

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
  • Like 1

Really nice looking rig.Go shoot now cowboy.

Congratulations Sir, That's a mighty fine rig. Enjoy the game! Now get that generous Missus involved too.

what caliber?

see someone told you, or you knew it already, not to use brass cases in bullets. Yea, I know it's fine for a day or two but I'm known to forget from month to month

cr

Mr. Ranger: 38 Special / What are you referring to in this statement?

Mr. Ranger: 38 Special / What are you referring to in this statement?

Tanning solutions will corrode brass cases, first signs are a green verdigris. The inside of cartridge loops are generally rough-out, and very hard to seal. Even nickel cases will eventually corrode.

• Like 1

Tanning solutions will corrode brass cases, first signs are a green verdigris. The inside of cartridge loops are generally rough-out, and very hard to seal. Even nickel cases will eventually corrode.

Mr. Griff:

Thank you for the insight into the relationship between tanned leather and brass ammo casings.

see someone told you, or you knew it already, not to use brass cases in bullets.

cr

Mr. Ranger:

I must confess, that I was completely unaware, and no one told me, I actually used CCI Blazer aluminum cased ammo to compliment the color scheme that I was looking for. Unfortunately, now everyone knows, but sometimes you fall into the right decisions hap-hazardously. Thank you for catching that for me as well.

Nice setup. To complete the look, you ever thought about adding some "hand of god" grips? I'd be willing to bet they make those for rugers. Regardless, now you've got to get out there and do some real shootin'. But looking good is at least half the battle.

Below is my original post when I first inquired about getting a holster.

​(Includes a pic of what I was trying to go for in a gun belt/holster design.)

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=251887

Yep. Needs a matching shell belt now! Got your boots and spurs yet? How about a camper? Ya need a camper now too so ya can make a weekend out of a shoot. Let's see.... what else are we missin here?.....

What are you doing for the shotgun shells?

Mr. Kid:

Here it is. I went with the canvas shotgun belt with a black leather stop on it.

HalfBreed Don added three (3) 38 caliber slots. I guess he anticipated I might need them.

A wise Cowboy he is. :D

ShotGun%20Belt%20-%20Rig_zpsjpfvy6th.jpg

ShotGun%20Belt%20-%20Rig%20close-up%202_

ShotGun%20Belt%20tongue_zpsaxifjnly.jpg

ShotGun%20Belt%20Buckle_zpscdjqbtl1.jpg

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Now that you have all of the equipment (especially that good looking gun belt), come on down to Olando and shoot with us this Saturday, Feb 4. It will give you some experience preparing for the Ides of March state championship.

Now that you have all of the equipment (especially that good looking gun belt), come on down to Olando and shoot with us this Saturday, Feb 4. It will give you some experience preparing for the Ides of March state championship.

Cypress:

I appreciate the invitation.

My intentions are to use the Lake County Pistoleros match on the 18th as my first official shoot.

I haven't even had a chance to practice with my firearms, which I intend to do this weekend and next.

I've mostly dry-fire practiced in the house.

My schedule has been so hectic that I am really trying to get ready for the 18th.

I may see if I can fit the 4th of March in my schedule to come and shoot with your club in Orlando on that day to get extra practice before hitting my first Major Match with the Ides of March.

You and Cypress Sun have been wonderful in your kinship with a newcomer to the sport, and it is greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I don't even know what I'm trying to say :)

Since I'm old with a questionable back I found that the weight of the cartridges on the gun belt will be noticeable by the end of the match.

I'm the guy that will also stage my pistols in my gun cart between stages--pretty much anything that will removed weight from the old back

Again just my 2¢

cr

Halfbreed is a true stand up guy. Bought a canvas shotgun belt from him when I first started. Over the years, with the sweat and wear/tear, the tongue finally split. Asked him if he could replace the tongue and make it longer as I had become larger. Not only did he repair the belt as requested, when I asked how much did I owe him..........he said nothing, I stand behind my work. I told him that it wasn't his work that caused it, it was me.........same response. Halfbreed is one of kind and does great work. I highly recommend him and his company Classic Leather Works.

Looking forward to seeing you at your first match.

Sun

Edited by Cypress Sun