SASS Wire Forum

Lost/forgotten skills and practices?

Ive shown several of the younger guys (nephews, son in laws, daughters boyfriends, etc) a lot of the mechanical things. A lot of these kids/younger guys want to know how to do these things, they just havent had anyone to show them. Too many parents are too busy or dont have the patience to teach them. But then again, Ive seen a lot of the parents who cant do them either.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive shown several of the younger guys (nephews, son in laws, daughters boyfriends, etc) a lot of the mechanical things. A lot of these kids/younger guys want to know how to do these things, they just havent had anyone to show them. Too many parents are too busy or dont have the patience to teach them. But then again, Ive seen a lot of the parents who cant do them either.

Smokey is on to something there. I work with middle and high school students on a robotics team. They come to the program with a solid background in computer skills, but near total ignorance of tools, both hand and power. After some safety lessons to make sure their eyes and fingers stay intact, they pick up quite quickly and really enjoy building their own machines.

I'm not sure how we our culture got away from teaching such basics, but it doesn't have to be that way.

My grandson, Sebastian (aka Boo), 14 now, early on paid attention to how his food was prepared. Two times I visited in a chef's coat and we made clam chowder one time and a birthday cake the other.

His mom also took him to cooking classes for cookies and some other treat.

When I brought Mom and Boo to Russia, he cooked breakfast. was not asked just cooked.

Then see if they can tell why a stillson wrench is better than an alligator wrench. Hint, they are both used on pipe.

Hadn't heard of an "Alligator" wrench me own self

Also came across a forgotten practice....but glad to see its being forgotten

Im a smoker, yes I know its a nasty and deadly habit. Anyways, a few of us was sitting around after a match one day, my zippo ran out of fluid, so I reached in the the truck, punch in the cigarette lighter and lit my smoke. My daughter, 11 at the time, thought it was neat. She didnt realize it could be used to light a smoke. She said she just thought it was a "weapon" Seen too many movies where the kidnapped person used it to burn the bad guy....lol

First, I ask them if they know what a crescent wrench is and proceed from there.

That is one of the moon shaped wrenches with the buttery, flaky crust, right?????

Archived