SASS Wire Forum

Caliber / Power Categories?

Bronc

So, Just wondering.

Why, with all of the costume categories (some that require a specific firearm), are there no Major / Minor caliber categories.

Surely I am not the only one who has ever broached this subject?

I mean the .45 Colt and 44/40 were the most popular / produced calibers.

Why??

Bronc - There are many now who feel there are too many, perhaps way too many categories already. Adding a major / minor power factor category, or divisions to all existing categories would just not be practical.

Back when things moved from pretty much just Modern and Traditional the powers than be chose to break out the ages, costumes, and shooting styles rather than power factor. With shooters from about 8 to more than 80 that seems to make sense.

Classic Cowboy is the only category with a caliber requirement other than just the basic minimums, but it doesn't have any power factor restrictions other than the minimums for all categories.

Grizz

OK. What about Duelist, Gunfighter, etc?

Now you're talking. My ultimate category would be frontier cartridge gunfighter classic cowboy. You get BP, shoot gunfighter, and have to shoot 40 cal and up, not to mention the clothing requirements. It's pretty much what I shoot anyway. I call it True Grit category.

What is your suggestion for expediting the pre-match verification process?

Aside from the task of convincing the WB and general membership that doubling the number of categories is a good idea?

• Like 1

I wonder what category Wild Bill Hickok would shoot with his mighty 36's (I think that was his caliber of choice).

My 'guess' is that the caliber & power factors of the shooter are deemed no more important than how tall or short they are.

Pards like PWB and The Wild Bunch (TWB) can probably answer your question as well as anyone.

p.s. - RYE, I'll take a bag of that popcorn... ;)

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

I think we also need to break it down further for stock guns and slicked guns. Every category can double! LOL And every club could have a gunsmith on site to verify. :P

But SLIM,

what category would there be for someone shooting an unaltered Colt buntline in .45 in their left hand, and a Ruger 'SASS' Vaquero in the right hand? ;)

:ph34r::o

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

There is: Classic Cowboy is "Major"... all the other categories are "minor". (At least when you're talking to a Classic Cowboy/girl)! If you're talking to a Frontiersman, all the other categories are "minor"...

• Like 1

But SLIM,

what category would there be for someone shooting an unaltered Colt buntline in .45 in their left hand, and a Ruger 'SASS' Vaquero in the right hand? ;)

..........Widder

Confused?

You may be correct with this statement in regards to Colt's SAA. However, in S&Ws, Iver Johnsons, H&Rs and hundreds of other makers, 22 Short and Long, 32 S&W, 38 Colt were wY more common.

There is: Classic Cowboy is "Major"... all the other categories are "minor". (At least when you're talking to a Classic Cowboy/girl)! If you're talking to a Frontiersman, all the other categories are "minor"...

Yea Brother, I believe

!!!!!

I disagree with not adding categories. We really need a 90 and over category. All categories over 70 should

absolutely allow Gunfighter. Further, there should NOT be a requirement that more than one entrant for those over 70.

Be aware that I am seriously considering adding a 100 and over category!!!

Please don't make me any more grumpy than this OF already is...........!!!! :-) Stay off the grass and don't cut

through my yard!!!!! :-(

Why?? Simple. With ALL things considered ... It's STUPID.

Re-Cycled SASS Number?? WHY??

WHY??

Are you kidding me???!!! Is SASS really issuing low "recycled" numbers???

Seamus

But SLIM,

..........Widder

You mean like when once a year I take out my 12" Buntline and my 3" Sheriff's Model, both nickeled in .44 Special?

Sheriff Buntline to the rescue!

The top shooters would determine how a major pf (150 for example) category would be perceived. If most of them stayed in their normal category and the shooters moving to the higher pf category were just shooters who wanted to compete against other similar shooters it would then be just another category. If most of the champion shooters moved to the higher pf category it might become the elite competition category.

Wow...Deja Vu...It's 2000 all over again...but I am older, slower and know better about sticking my nose in it when it JUST DOESN"T MATTER!

Rye, trade ya some jerky for some of that popcorn...have some of this jerky Widder....it ain't bad for store bought.

• Like 1

What ever the power factor or caliber constraints are, the thing that will stay the same is the competitors. A stage that takes an average shooter 30 seconds now will take longer. Guess what? The shooter who pushes themselves to be faster now, will be faster then.

Besides, this is a game and a shooter can play it however they wish! You want to shoot full power black powder 45 Colt loads? You certainly may! Plenty of categories to go around where a person can choose to play this game their way!

• Like 1

Let's add an Indian Category !!! (or Native American).

All targets must be shot with a Bow and Arrow and any Knock targets must be knocked down with a tomahawk.

You must dress period correct (historically accurate)for the category ( Dress code to be debated at a later date.)

The category can be split in to modern (Compound Bows)and Traditional(standard bows).

All arrows must be completely made of wood to prevent sparks for using metal or flint arrowheads.

The timer stops when it is hit with the tomahawk at the end of the shooting string.

:) Maddog McCoy :)

Note: Pass me some popcorn but don't tell anybody as it is not listed on my diet...............

Edited by Maddog McCoy SASS #5672
  • Like 1

These fellas don't seem to have arrows and bows. :D

i wonder if their costumes would be period correct?

geronimo-and-braves.jpg

So, Just wondering.

Why, with all of the costume categories (some that require a specific firearm), are there no Major / Minor caliber categories.

Surely I am not the only one who has ever broached this subject?

Why??

cause .38spl trumps both of those in current popularity.

i wonder if their costumes would be period correct?

As you all know by now I seriously dislike the term Period Correct. However the guy all the way on the right in that photo is Geronimo, and you can bet what he is wearing is historically accurate.

I gotta get to the kitchen. Need another PopCorn. Wash it down with some Dead Guy. Yum.

No. I think the original holder of the low number either sells it gives it to a newbe. Front office then reassigns it.

• Like 1