SASS Wire Forum

Stainless Steel Media

Hashknife Cowboy

I just came upon several pounds of stainless steel tumbling media for cleaning brass. Any tips from those who are using or have used that process?

Thanks in advance.....

Great pointers, thank you.

If your brass comes out dull instead of shiny you need to rinse your steel pins more often. Don't overdo it on the LemiShine or your shiny brass will dull faster, 1/4 teaspoon seems to be about right for me. Get one of those big magnets with the release handle from Harbor Freight makes things much easier. I use ceramic media myself so I don't use the magnet. You don't need to use a whole bunch of the pins either. I found that about 3/4 of a cup of them did a very nice job.

If your brass comes out dull instead of shiny you need to rinse your steel pins more often. Don't overdo it on the LemiShine or your shiny brass will dull faster, 1/4 teaspoon seems to be about right for me. Get one of those big magnets with the release handle from Harbor Freight makes things much easier. I use ceramic media myself so I don't use the magnet. You don't need to use a whole bunch of the pins either. I found that about 3/4 of a cup of them did a very nice job.

Yul: What size ceramic media do you use and where do you purchase it? Also what are the benefits of ceramic vs stainless steel pins. I have been using the stainless steel pins and was just wandering about it. Thanks

Cheatin'

Yul: What size ceramic media do you use and where do you purchase it? Also what are the benefits of ceramic vs stainless steel pins. I have been using the stainless steel pins and was just wandering about it. Thanks

Cheatin'

The label isn't on the box anymore but they are little pyramid type ceramic blocks. I got them from an outfit out of Phoenix, Az. The size that I use will not get jammed in a .38WCF, .44-40, .45/.45 Schofield case. They will never wear out and you really don't need to use more than a handful to get the job done. I probably have enough to last a lifetime. PM me your address and I'll send you some to try.

Ditto on the Stainless Tumbling Media website instructions. Ditto on 1/4 tsp Lemishine only. Also, I only use one tablespoon of Dawn as any more takes way too much rinsing. I've had my wet system for about a year and a half and my first batch of brass is still as shiny as my last. I've read here on the wire that some fellers use monstrous amounts of Lemishine. Don't do it, no need to. Also, like Yul says, wash yer media.

Ditto on not overdosing Lemishine.

I use the FA wet tumbler with SS pins, about 1/8tsp Lemishine, just a couple drops of Dawn and hot water. Tumble for about 2-3 hours. Just did 400 .45 Colt a couple weeks ago, came out looking new.

First time I used Lemishine I used about 1/2tsp and brass came out dull gray.

Usually around 2 hours does the trick. If I'm cleaning .40-65 BP cases, then closer to 3 hours.

I started out with the STM package deal--no problems

so decided to mess with the media

found a guy on FB that sells stainless steel chips (looks somewhat like fingernail clippings)

cut my time in half from the pins.

Also use Armor-All Wash and Wax which leaves a coating on the brass. have some that were cleaned 2 years ago now and while they have darken a bit they still are shiny.

Lemishine: 1/4 teaspoon

here is the FB link: https://www.facebook.com/southernshinetumblers/

you have to send him a note or call him and he will get back with price and shipping.

And as always....I do not have any connection with this guy other than being a happy customer. I further acknowledge the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of me should I be captured.

2 Tablespoons of Maguiar's Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner Car Wash leaves a waxy finish after tumbling and I personally think it helps brass going through the dies easier.

1/4 teaspoon Lemishine

1 Gallon cold water, that's it.

I used to use Dawn dish soap but did not like how it tarnished the brass shortly after tumbling, since I have switched to the Maguiar's brass remains shiny longer.

I highly recommend this with the Stainless Steel media.

Archived