SASS Wire Forum

Tip #2 Shot Shell Reloading

John Boy

First of all, I detest the primer trays on presses that drop the primers into the cup for seating ...

So, here's a method that's easy and fast ...

* W209 primer trays are the exact size of a plastic credit card, fitting on top of the primers inside the tray ridge. I use an expired AAA card for this and other purposes

* Cover 50 primers with the card - turn the tray upside down with the card holding the primers in the tray

* Set the upside down tray of primers on the bench and slide the plastic card out ... 50 primers are now sitting on the bench with the primer bottom facing up.

Then the routine is Station 1 = deprime while putting primer face down without needing to turn it upside down in the Station 2 cup.

Works for single and progressive stage presses

Howdy John Boy, for CFDA loading 209s I just put the box upside down on the bunch and push tray-pull carton. They are all in line upside down on the bench. I like the primer feed on my Grabber, once you have the right height drop you may need to adjust the tube in or out to hit perfect every time. To fine tune use open end wrenches on retaining clip and ease up or down depending where you need the primer to fall. Minor adjustments can be made with feed tube installed using wrench on both sides of the clip. When in doubt remove the primer feed and add a filler block, or screwdriver tip or shaft to take up the space inside the clip. Then adjust in (down) or out (up) with good fitting wrenches. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I just slide the cardboard cover back to expose the number of primers needed, then put cover of primer flip tray over and turn over. Poof all primers are on the cover primer end up.

I just slide the cardboard cover back to expose the number of primers needed, then put cover of primer flip tray over and turn over. Poof all primers are on the cover primer end up.

Yep! No need to leave a credit card stuck in a primer tray, either, and not remember that until you get to the LGS!

Good luck, GJ

After 40 years I had the slot holding the chain on my 600Jr. break-off. Ordered the new primer feed assy. from MEC. I don't like handling primers by hand. The #2 (or maybe #1), Shot Shell Reloading Tip should be... "buy a Shot Shell Reloading Manual and stick to the formulas provided EXACTLY!"