SASS Wire Forum

What cal. is 11.15 X 55r ?

Pit Bull Tex

I can't find it any where I have looked.Found 11.15 X 60 Rmm called a .43 mauser.I found 11.43 X 55R mm Turkish.If you wanted to reload for the 11.15 X 55R mm ,where would you start?

Edited by Pit Bull Tex

Doing the conversion makes it .434 X 2,145 So its just a hair over ,429 or 44 caliber and .53 or slightly over a half an inch longer than .44 mag OAL. Something from a French or Eastern European rifle from a century ago? I dunno. Where did you get that spec? This inquiring mind wants to know, too.

Imis

That is what is on the tag,Yusta.It is a nice looking old rolling block.Was just wondering if a person could find dies to reload for it.It did not have the LK after the 55R

Edited by Pit Bull Tex

If you have a case for the 11.15x55R, CH4D can make the dies. But unless you have the rifle ( and did a chamber cast & slugged the bore) for that caliber and plan to shoot it frequently ... your wasting your money for custom dies that will be expensive

CH4D

740-397-7214
Monday - Friday
10am - 6pm EST

Edited by John Boy

If I get it Slim ,you may get your chance.I guess I don't like to do thing the easy way.I just like this old gun.

Not a one.

I have never been call the brightest bulb on the tree.I load .45 and don't have a .45.Load cowboy .45 because it looked like a nice case.Reloading is fun for me.

Pit Bull, let me get this story correct:

* You have a rifle for an obsolete caliber

* There are no parent cases for this caliber and not in any catalog

* You have no brass

* You have no cases and 99.9% there are none available except lathe turned based on a chamber cast by Rocky Mountain Cartridge. Very expensive if RMC Co will do it. Otherwise, your SOL!

You want custom dies that will drain your wallet based on the chamber cast

Next, bullets. You will have to find a German catalog that MAY give the dimensions & weight of the bullet to properly fit into the leade of the chamber. Then do a CAD drawing of the bullet ... and have a custom mold made for casting if you do cast

No doubt, this caliber is black powder only - Welcome to the Dark Side

I would only do this if the rifle is mint and engraved being of high value as desirable for resale

I went through the explained process for a 9.5x47R round that was invented in the 1880's and lasted for less than 20 years. I did find the only 80 cases in the world that cost $3.89 per case. In my case, it is for a fully engraved high value Schuetzen rifle so the effort was well worth it. Two other collectors in the US have this caliber rifle and they went through the process too but they have no brass to make reloads and shoot theirs. So the parent case for this caliber is 11mm Mauser and they had to make the cases ... but for your caliber there is no known parent case to make the brass

Good Luck!

Edited by John Boy

John Boy I did not think it would be easy,but I think in maybe fun to try.It is not a mint rifle,it is just a nice rolling block.I have nothing to lose but the price of the rifle.It will be nice just to have it even if I can't shoot it.

• Like 1

Remington Built thousands of the 43 Spanish cal rifles for foreign military use, in their famous Rolling Block design. I would think you could find specimens of the ammo at Old Western Scrounger. I have one of them myself. Just a wallhanger though, although the action is in good shape.

Here ya go!

43 Spanish
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spanish military cartridge that came out in 1871, replacing the Reformado cartridge. It was chambered in the Remington Rolling Block and was fairly popular, being used in some South American countries. The Rolling Block is a sturdy rifle and the .43 Spanish is capable of good accuracy. There were a couple of variations of this cartridge so if in doubt take a chamber cast.

HDS makes brass and bullets. Bullet weights are generally 340, 370 and 385 grains. Black or smokeless powder loads can be used if you are careful. While a good gun, most are over 100 years old so have any new purchases checked by a gunsmith and load accordingly.

.43 Spanish
11mm Spanish
11.15×58mmR Spanish Remington
U.M.C. 43-77
Type Rifle Specifications Neck diameter Bottleneck[1] Overall length 2.845 in Primer type Berdan

The .43 Spanish was a centerfire firearms cartridge. The .43 Spanish was adopted about 1867,[citation needed] and was used in early rolling block rifles that Remington manufactured for the government of Spain.[citation needed] The cartridge is also referred to as "11mm Spanish", and identical cartridges for the US Peabody rifle were marked "U.M.C. 43-77".[2]

In 1869 the Spanish government put in an order for 10,000 rifles in this chambering.[3] The Spanish military version of the cartridge was later upgraded in 1889 to a "heavier, brass-jacketed reformado bullet".[4

Sometimes it is about the challenge in front of you.....I hope you exceed your wildest expectations! Man made it at one time, so another one can do the same....

Keep us posted on your progress.

Bugler

Slim's offer to do a chamber cast is the best idea in town. There are so many variants from straight to bottle neck. Parent cases could turn up, once you get the measurements GW

I found only two other threads on other forums on these 11.15x55R Turkish rounds, with no resolution.

I'd chamber cast first, then, if nothing matches and if no cases are to be found, sell it, re-barrel it or:

A) Find other calibers close to the chamber cast along with same/close rim diameter.

B See if 4-D has some reamers to open the chamber up to, in an available caliber. (may take a couple of different reamers to get what you need,plus headspace gauges -$42 or so per reamer set-up w/ guages)

Example ( say it could be opened up to 43 Mauser): http://4-dproducts.com/product/43-mauser/

C) Find a competent gunsmith to ream it out.

Another thought, and John Boy may be able to chime in,

If you come up empty on finding the correct case, maybe you could get lucky enough to find a common case really really close.

Close enough to fire-form, cut to length (which may take some trial and error experimenting).Then you could resort to only neck-sizing and crimp with a die close enough to do the seating/crimping only.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins

Can't the rifle be converted to a "close" caliber that you CAN find ammo and/or brass for? If it's not a collector piece, the only real value is in its ability to function properly and its intrinsic value to you. The cost to make it serviceable for you to use sounds prohibitive to me.

I would suggest comparing the specs of the .43 Spanish & the Turkish rounds to see if the longer brass could be trimmed back a few millimeters...after verifying the actual caliber with both chamber & bore castings.

I've had both Spanish and Reformado chambered RBs...still have an 1879 Argentine Remington in primo condition, as well as an Egyptian carbine rechambered to .45-90.

Good info on RB ammo on Track of the Wolf website:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1171/1/CASE-43-SPANISH

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

Or...You can sleeve it for a 40 or 41 caliber (405 Winchester) and keep it black powder only. I've got an 1895 in 405 Winchester and it's bullet is .410 diameter. And holds 65 grains of Black. When people ask me what chamber my rifle is, I tell them it's a 41-65.

Could this be an answer?

11.15 X 55R LK EXPRESS
11.15X55R%20LK.jpg
11.15X55R%20LK%20FULL.jpg

The 11.15 X 55R LK EXPRESS was never officially listed in any catalogue. There are however numerous specimens in existence with varying case lengths. All cartridges were manufactured between 1890 and 1910 and have H Utendoerffer headstamps.

RWS purchased the company.

Full Company Name: Heinrich Utendoerffer

Additional Information: Heinrich Utendoerffer began production in 1855. In 1889 he sold his business to Rheinisch-Westfälischen Sprengstoff-Fabriken A.-G.

The way to proceed is to make a chamber casting using Cerro Safe (available from Dixie Gun Works or Brownell's). DO NOT USE BULLET ALLOY! Cerro Safe is a low-melting point bismuth alloy that can be heated over boiling water. Slug the bore using a lead .45 caliber slug. If this is truly a 11.15mm, it probably, but not necessarily has a groove diameter of .446", the same as .43 Mauser. The chamber casting will determine if there is a basic case that can be used to form brass. I have seen a Belgian-made buscheflint (shotgun-rifle combination gun) that had the rifle barrel chambered for 11.15 x 47R. It utilized the basic .43 Mauser case shortened and necked down to hold .446 bullets. A bullet sizing die was used to reduce .45 cal. lead bullets. Custom dies were obtained from RCBS. Best of luck with this project!

Lazy, that is the numbers on the tag but it does not have LK EXPRESS after the number.

Trailrider - there is no parent case for this 11.15x55R caliber. And all the closest parent cases in the 11.15x 56 to 58 ... all have different neck - shoulder - base - rim and case length. The length is easy, but the others would need lathe work and could weaken the cases. Best is to do a good chamber cast - send it to Rocky Mountain Ctg to see if they will lathe cut the brass and it's not going to be cheap. Then there is the issues of proper bullets - mold and dies, all custom. That's if Pit Bull wants to go through all the technical details and purchases to make it happen to keep the obsolete caliber. He's stated he is a reloader and no mention of his gun smithing skills that would be required in this project

Otherwise, he should talk to a competent gunsmith who has the skills for options, decide on one and then he comes back to the Wire with the results instead of all these posts shooting holes in the sky with no results!

Pit Bull, I believe the nickel is now on you to resolve your issue!

Slim if I get it we will talk.Want bother the rest.

• 1 year later...

Pit Bull, did you ever figure this thing out?  I've been working with the same caliber in a double rifle for about 2-1/2 years now.  It took me a while to work up a usable load, but I took a nice whitetail buck with it last fall, and plan to hunt with it again this year.  I shoot it regularly, and may be able to help.

Good Grief !! I just read thru all this thread and when got to the last one , checked and saw it was over a year and a half old. 

Gotta pay more attention at the beginning.:P

Rex , who wouldn't have messed with the rifle's original chambering 5 minutes. It would have been passed over or re-barreled to something available.:D

I just saw a video of a guy reloading for this caliber rifle.The cases can be bought Downunder.I have been trying to find the video again just to take notes.He case the bullets .sized them loaded them. The cases had a offset rim.The rifle he was shooting was tube fed bolt action but the said the load would work on the rolling block also.He also Gail all the part number for the press he used and the dies and and the sizer,the power the primers.I just can't find the video.He has a site on you tube.

Edited by Pit Bull Tex
add some info.