SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 45LC Bullet Weight

Marshal Ruger

Just curious to see what bullet weight does most folks use for the Marlin 1894 in 45LC. I have been using the 250 grain bullet mold from RCBS but I use a 200 grain bullet for my Blackhawks. Like to hear from anyone who uses 45LC. Thanks.

Have shot both 200 (Ultramax) and 250 (Black Hills), and also some Schofield 230 (Ultramax) and at Cowboy ranges could not tell any difference. This is out of a Cowboy Limited with the 24" barrel. I really ought to put them on paper at 100 yards.

I rarely shoot a Marlin anymore but when I did I always used the same 200gr. load I used in my revolvers.

Randy

+1

life is to short to be using different bullets in rifle and pistols. Used the 200 in both and did not have trouble with blow back and a full case of BP.

+ 1

In all 6 of my 45 Colt rifles I use 200 grain with smokeless and 225 grain with blackpowder. Barrel lengths from 17" to 24-¼". If you're having blowback in your eyes... try addin' sufficient powder and crimp, no need for heavier bullets!

250gr. the blowback from 200gr. had my right eye almost swollen shut one evening after a match. I shoot 200gr. in my pistols for the less recoil.

Edited by Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463

life is to short to be using different bullets in rifle and pistols.

I typically use three different bullets, one for rifle (44-40) and two different pistols (45 and 44special). For me, life is too short to limit your choice in guns.

I typically use three different bullets, one for rifle (44-40) and two different pistols (45 and 44special). For me, life is too short to limit your choice in guns.

actually only need two. 44 can be made to go into the 45, U don't need to ask how I know this...

Depending on the reloading mood that strikes me ... I reload 45LC's with 200 - 230 and 255gr bullets. At the distance we shoot at, with BP, the bore doesn't know the difference with the different bullets

Looks like I am the oddball of the group. 160 RNFP in my vaqueros and Marlin 1894.

I actually have just started playing around with a 160 RNFP in my wife's 45 LC Rossi and she hasn't had trouble with blow back as of yet.

BD

If you're having blowback in your eyes... try addin' sufficient powder and crimp, no need for heavier bullets!

This is correct for any caliber :excl:

Up the powder charge some, and firm crimp will work wonders.

OLG

200 grain bullets work fine in rifle and pistol. Use a fast burning powder, like Clays, at top load amounts, to keep pressures at near maximum. Then apply a very firm crimp. (I use a Redding Profile Crimp, which applies a taper crimp AND a roll crimp). No blowback occurs with these loads.

RBK

Since you cast your own, look at the RCBS 45-225-CAV

I found it cycles like butter in my Rossi.

And in 1860s, 1866s, 1873s, 1885s, 1892s, and 1894s! With SPG lube & BP, it still works a wonder... 10-12 stages with no crusting of the foulng... Seated correctly, it's also a great performer in the 1911! I don't just LIKE this bullet... I LOVE IT!