SASS Wire Forum

I may start carrying a cane

It used to be an article of fashion and self defense against four leg and two legged varmints. At my age no one would even blink unless it had blades and spikes growing out of it.

"Don't mess with that old man he's got a mean cane made out of black locust with a bois d'arc head, carries a 1911, and a big knife!"

Anyway, sometimes they come in handy.

I guess we'll need to start a thread on the best self-defense cane.

Diameter, length, type of material, weight, brand, short stroke, holster, etc.

Glad the senior citizen stepped in.

Old Guys Rule!!!

About six years ago my son-in-law gave me a genuine blackthorn walking cane that he picked up in Dublin. I never carried it until I got a kidney stone last year and now I never go anywhere without it. Mostly use it to help with my balance nowadays, 'specially on snowy icy days.

Just ordered two more cane this AM from a company back east. These are sufficient for my use, but are mostly decorative for when I'm in my docent costume at the Elks Opera House and Theater.

Been using this occasionally (and carrying a 1911 & a knife or 3) since learning to walk again three years ago.

1485791613961-881621577-S.jpg

That would do it! Also be handy for spearing the last piece of steak at the end of the table!

Been using this occasionally (and carrying a 1911 & a knife or 3) since learning to walk again three years ago.

1485791613961-881621577-S.jpg

You don't even have to show the blade. The skull handle alone says "I'm a bad ass!"

Well, look here what changed! I can carry my Bowie too:

TULSA, Oklahoma -

One of the many new laws that went into effect this month in Oklahoma is a change to a knife law that was originally put on the books in 1921.

SB 1159 became effective November 1, 2016, which removes dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife and sword cane from the items prohibited from carry in Oklahoma, according to the law.

It also repealed the ban on carrying switchblade (automatic) knives

I think Texas still forbids big knives and such as sword canes.

About 25 years ago I bought a blackthorn walking stick (Cane) on a visit to Dublin. It is heavy and thick and near as I can tell unbreakable. I use it all the time now, since I have leg problems. I'm sure it would do nicely for beating an assailant off a bus driver though I have not used it for that purpose yet. If it didn't work, my Kimber Ultra Carry .45 would. I don't leave home without them.

The O'Meara Himself

Years ago I had knee surgery in California and a friend bought me a sword / cane to use. It wasn't very sturdy but it was cool. I was showing it off at a party at a friends house and a lot of the attendees were police officers. That's when I found out that possession of a sword cane was a felony. I didn't get arrested as it was conveyed to me as "friendly advice" but I got rid of that thing pretty quickly after that. I am pretty sure they are still illegal in CA.

Years ago I had knee surgery in California and a friend bought me a sword / cane to use. It wasn't very sturdy but it was cool. I was showing it off at a party at a friends house and a lot of the attendees were police officers. That's when I found out that possession of a sword cane was a felony. I didn't get arrested as it was conveyed to me as "friendly advice" but I got rid of that thing pretty quickly after that. I am pretty sure they are still illegal in CA.

Isn't everything...? :(

Mine is made of oak. I use it when my ankles hurt and I need to take weight off one side or the other. Airport security didn't like it or when I didn't want to take off my shoes. When they found out the extent of my injuries though they were great.

17 years ago I was walking a swap meet and came across this Vintage Brass Eagle head and bought it for a future time in my life when I would be needing to use a cane That time is getting closer by the minute. Now I gotta find someone who's good at woodworking and make me a stick to screw it onto. Just sayin'

PS.......it's gotta be a long stick, I'm 6'6" tall. It's a long way to the ground.

vintage-brass-eagle.jpg

Big Jake

Eagleshead cane.jpg

Eagleshead cane.jpg

Edited by Big Jake1001
blurry picture

I walk a lot of trails and have a trick knee that surprises me occasionally.

I made a cane: 1" diameter red oak 35" long with a 2.5" diameter ball on one end.

It has enough weight to punch surprising well, rather than swinging it.

NC law: a 6" or longer fixed blade cannot be concealed, even if you have a ccw permit. Unconcealed must be mounted on the waist or under the arm, visible from front or back (must be on the side). Tucked appendix style or small of the back does not count as visible enough.

When I was a young man, my mother's friend had her grandfather's cane. She showed it to me and how you could turn the handle and a small trigger would pop out and the bottom of the cane opened similar to a camera lense. By turning it the other way you could insert a .38 cartridge. I wish I knew what happened to that came after she passed away.

I always have one with me..especially in places I can't carry...like airplanes...no one ever challenges it anywhere I go. Where I can carry, I certainly do and look at the cane as my first line of defense. Like was mentioned above, in the proper hands a cane can be a formidable self defense weapon.

I highly recommend that if your considering this route do it right and get the training on how to effectively employ it in a threatening situation. If you don't, you may find yourself on the receiving end after its been forcibly taken from you. I've had just such training. It was very enjoyable as well as very valuable. Then as with all skills, practice, practice, practice.

Just the view from my foxhole.

A side note: I bought a stock cane from Tractor Supply for less than $20. It's a one inch thick piece of solid oak. I cut it to fit me for length, lightly sanded it then rubbed it with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. Looks good and is extremely effective.

Edited by Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

Manzanita, it'll crack a head & break bones.

[/url]">http://http://s383.photobucket.com/user/dradbrown/media/003_zpsm6g6b98t.jpg.html'>003_zpsm6g6b98t.jpg

Years ago in one of the muzzleloader magazines an event was related by an anthropologist who also made Iroqouis war clubs

in his spare time. Parking at a museum he unloaded his wares for a show and tell session and had them in a bag. As he moved toward the door three toughs accosted him asking if he had some expensive cameras and cash to give them. Their menacing smirks disappeared when he withdrew a club and commenced to put all three in the hospital. They were lucky they weren't put in the morgue.

And fer you younger fellas who might look out of place with a cane...

If you are traveling, travel with a backpack and throw some sort of a hiking stick in with your ensemble. Maybe a nice heavy oak walking stick or even a pair of hiking sticks that are collapsible, easily transportable, and all the rage with trendy carless hippies these days. They can certainly serve the same purpose a collapsible baton does without looking tactical and insensitive.

Sam,

Thank you for reminding me of that Bill being passed. I had for got all about it. I have to get one light PaleWolf. I got one years back at the convention, Kat and I was walking around conversing with Capt Baylor and he noticed one in a booth and said that would go great with my outfit for the judging contest. And I made Kat put her switch blade in the safe. Now she can get it out.

Forty Rod I still heard there are horns under Allie's hat. The guys say she is mean, I hope you run fast

Rev

I have over a dozen and several staffs. Never leave home w/o one. One has a light in the handle and the lower two feet or so is a stun gun that makes an impressive display anyway at least when you hit the button, do not know how effective it might be but no matter as I also carry the latest Taser device available on Amazon for $400 and a Kimber pepper blaster and a 31" airweight ASP. I have one of the Cold Steel sword canes and several of their poly canes and one of their poly staffs, all quite effective and indestructible. If an attacker takes my cane he will have to survive a hail of lead to pummel me with it.