SASS Wire Forum

What appetizer would you bring to a party?

This is more a solution to an appetizer problem than it is an appetizer.

I love shrimp with cocktail sauce - not that wimpy tomato dip they sell in jars - but REAL cocktail sauce, with enough horseradish in it to make steam come out your ears, followed by a spray of lemon juice from a real lemon. And I like to double or triple dip, adding more sauce and lemon as I work my way through each shrimp. But Mrs. LL advises that double dipping is socially unacceptable; so what to do? Stand around the shrimp bowl with a dozen other folks? And dip from each end?

From my lovely wife came a simple yet elegant solution. She bought a package of small (4 oz.?) clear plastic cups - about the size of a double shot glass. And she half-fills each with real cocktail sauce, hangs 2 or 3 whole jumbo shrimp over the edge, alternated with lemon wedges or slices. Voila! Your own portable shrimp bowl. No muss. No fuss. And no dishes to wash.

For the non-meat folks, she uses a Ranch or cucumber dip and stalks of celery, peppers, carrots and skinny bread sticks in the same cups; again, easy pre-party prep and no dishes to wash. Colorful, too.

LL

Did you ever make your own cocktail sauce with a real horseradish? Chop the root and put it into a food processor? Brings tears to your eyes.

Did you ever make your own cocktail sauce with a real horseradish? Chop the root and put it into a food processor? Brings tears to your eyes.

In more ways than one.. :D :D :D :D :D

At some point, one must draw the line.....is there any substantial difference between high quality processed horseradish and that which you grind at home? Properly applied, they will both clean out your sinuses and give you a permanent wince.

When you build a brick wall, do you insist on making your own bricks?

I saw a Chronicle program a few years back about a family in CT (I believe) that are one of the major producers of processed horseradish. They buy the root from local farmers. They wash it. They grind it in a hand-turned grinder that looks like Granma's meat grinder. And they stuff it into jars.

Not sure that I could add much to the end product by doing that part myself.

LL

Sausage cheese balls made with Bisquick, hot sausage, and grated cheese. Easy to make if you have a food processor. Harder to mix if you don't.

At some point, one must draw the line.....is there any substantial difference between high quality processed horseradish and that which you grind at home? Properly applied, they will both clean out your sinuses and give you a permanent wince.

When you build a brick wall, do you insist on making your own bricks?

I saw a Chronicle program a few years back about a family in CT (I believe) that are one of the major producers of processed horseradish. They buy the root from local farmers. They wash it. They grind it in a hand-turned grinder that looks like Granma's meat grinder. And they stuff it into jars.

Not sure that I could add much to the end product by doing that part myself.

LL

Never know how old the stuff in the store is, that's all