SASS Wire Forum

What appetizer would you bring to a party?

Maybe you will go to a superbowl party, or some other get-together. What appetizer would you bring? Or would you just bring a six pack and a bag of chips?

From another thread, I decided to make an appetizer based on a grilled cheese sandwich recipe. The bread will be from a baguette, maybe I will make the bread, maybe buy it, I don't know yet. I am working up the cheese formula: maybe a dash of tabasco or a strip of jalapeno, certainly some bacon or bacon fat

Howdy,

Well, of course, chili....

But I also have some awesome chip dip recipes and one of those

together with a few bags of chips can be tasty.

Think back about git togethers and what stood out.

Best

CR

A cracker with a dollop of spinach dip and a sundried tomato slice (packed in olive oil) pressed into the dip?

Little cube of cheese with the sundried tomato slice speared to the cheese with a toothpick?

Pre-prepared avocado dip (Costco?) and thin tortilla chips? (NO double-dipping, >:-( dammit!)

Stuff like that. :-)

:-)

Some ideas.....

Quesadillas

Buffalo Chicken Dip- I like mine on thin sliced toasted french bread

Jalepeno poppers

Hollowed out brown and serve rolls stuffed with sloppy joe and topped with shredded sharp cheddar- bake and serve.

Since Mrs. Lose manages a big avocado ranch we'll be bringing guacamole. We have avocados running out of our ears. I make shrimp, bacon and cream cheese stuffed grilled jalapeños that usually don't last long.

Celery stalks stuffed with ranch chip dip, and fancy crackers with summer sausage on top,

and/or smoked slamon and crackers.

Edited by Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172

Depends on the crowd. For some of our more casual friends, some cream cheese with chili sauce in the center of a platter of crackers. For some of our more sophisticated friends, fresh guacamole dip with organic blue corn chips with flax seeds. Maybe some pastry baked Brie topped with mushrooms sauteed in white wine and green onions. Those are my top three.

Since Mrs. Lose manages a big avocado ranch we'll be bringing guacamole. We have avocados running out of our ears. I make shrimp, bacon and cream cheese stuffed grilled jalapeños that usually don't last long.

Yowza, sounds great. But the Avocado Ranch sounds like a major operation. Is it anything like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz5vwUM_uuM

Depends on the crowd. For some of our more casual friends, some cream cheese with chili sauce in the center of a platter of crackers. For some of our more sophisticated friends, fresh guacamole dip with organic blue corn chips with flax seeds. Maybe some pastry baked Brie topped with mushrooms sauteed in white wine and green onions. Those are my top three.

Kris,

Your 'sophisticated' friends probably don't go to Super Bowl parties..... they go to the Super Bowl..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

A friend takes blocks of cream cheese, splits them in half, rlls each half into a log then rolls the log in Chili powder. Gooood, simple and easy spread on crackers.

If I throw a party, I supply the appetizers.

Quality control I calls it. ;)

Been re-engineering pretzels and everybody really enjoys them. Add ranch dressing mix with garlic powder and cayenne pepper to vegetable oil then bake in 200 degree oven till dry. GW

Kris,

Your 'sophisticated' friends probably don't go to Super Bowl parties..... they go to the Super Bowl..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

They think they be sofistikated, so we let them................Drink lots of whine and such............

Up in the Pocono mountains, a big crock pot of perogies with sauted butter and onions, or deep friend perogies, is going to make you the appetizer king.

My favorite app to make and bring is tiny cheesecakes. They're a cupcake liner, with a Nilla Vanilla wafer in the bottom, and cheesecake on top. You cook them like a regular cheesecake, but it doesn't take an hour to make them. I top them with a spoonful of whatever fruit or jam I have in the refrigerator. They are super easy, but people think I slaved over them.

Got this from a Iowa gal that moved to Nebraska chasing a guy. Either way very tasty!

Italian Ham and Cheese Sandwiches

1 package Kings Hawaiian buns

1 package Honey Ham

1 package dry Italian seasoning

1 stick of butter

Cheese slices

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray the pan before you place the Hawaiian buns into it. Place desired ham and cheese onto buns. Melt the stick of butter and mix the Italian seasoning with the melted butter. Spoon the butter/seasoning mixture over the tops of the buns and dump whatever is left in between the rows of buns for extra flavor. Bake for 10 minutes covered in foil, and then another 5 minutes without the foil on. Enjoy!

Weenie tots.
Little Smokie sized weenie tots -- take a package of bacon, slice it in half right in the package, open a can of sliced water chest nuts, drain.

Mix half a cup of ketchup and half a cup of clear Karo. Or honey. Or whatever your favorite sweetnin' is.

Other'n yer wife, mines' my sweetie.

I get distracted easy.

Take a half strip of bacon, wrap it around the weenie tot, spear it with a tooth pick and then impale a water chest nut slice with the coming-out end.

This makes a nice flat foot so it'll stand up in one place and not roll around none on the cookie sheet.

Rank these in rows on a cookie sheet and bake for a half hour at 350 degrees.

Drain off the grease, drizzle or paint brush on your half and half ketchup and Karo and bake another half hour at 350.

Make plenty.

They go fast!

A friend takes blocks of cream cheese, splits them in half, rlls each half into a log then rolls the log in Chili powder. Gooood, simple and easy spread on crackers.

Oh! Cream cheese!

Get a big block of it (like the 3# block from a food service place). Cut a pound of it off and let it soften.

Peel some carrots and rough chop them. Rough chop some celery and a few green onion. Put 'em all in your food processor and chop 'em fine.

Take the softened cream cheese and put it in a mixing bowl and whip it with an electric hand mixer. Add in the chopped veggies, a little salt, a goodly amount of ground black pepper, and Tabasco (or your favorite pepper sauce) to taste. Beat well, transfer to container and refrigerate. Serve with crackers, tortillas, toast, whatever Heck, slather it on deli sliced ham, add some pickle, and roll it up.

Other good mix ins are green onion and spinach.

Toasted sesame seeds.

Smoked salmon and capers.

Or ??????

Something to play with.

This is more a solution to an appetizer problem than it is an appetizer.

I love shrimp with cocktail sauce - not that wimpy tomato dip they sell in jars - but REAL cocktail sauce, with enough horseradish in it to make steam come out your ears, followed by a spray of lemon juice from a real lemon. And I like to double or triple dip, adding more sauce and lemon as I work my way through each shrimp. But Mrs. LL advises that double dipping is socially unacceptable; so what to do? Stand around the shrimp bowl with a dozen other folks? And dip from each end?

From my lovely wife came a simple yet elegant solution. She bought a package of small (4 oz.?) clear plastic cups - about the size of a double shot glass. And she half-fills each with real cocktail sauce, hangs 2 or 3 whole jumbo shrimp over the edge, alternated with lemon wedges or slices. Voila! Your own portable shrimp bowl. No muss. No fuss. And no dishes to wash.

For the non-meat folks, she uses a Ranch or cucumber dip and stalks of celery, peppers, carrots and skinny bread sticks in the same cups; again, easy pre-party prep and no dishes to wash. Colorful, too.

LL

In our house during football season, my Latvian wife make "Patriots Piragi" - hundreds every weekend. They are gone by the end of each game. Best served warm.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Speka-Piragi-Bacon-Turnovers

How can you go wrong with bacon, onion, and dough from Heaven?

Try it; you'll like it.

LL

I love several cans of Smoked Oysters and stacks of Nabisco saltines and RITZ crackers. Poke a toothpick in each Oyster and have crackers spread on a plate....yummy for the Tummy. Just sayin'

Big Jakr

In our house during football season, my Latvian wife make "Patriots Piragi" - hundreds every weekend. They are gone by the end of each game. Best served warm.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Speka-Piragi-Bacon-Turnovers

How can you go wrong with bacon, onion, and dough from Heaven?

Try it; you'll like it.

LL

Copied into our recipe file, also printed out. Thanks!

How bout a good cigar!!!

In the world of today:

My crock pot venison/velveta/chili dip. Made with my home made venison burger, browned, added to hot spicy Velveta cheese (I know you purists don't consider Velveta cheese!) with chopped New Mexico chilies.