SASS Wire Forum

SKB Question

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

I recently "adopted" a SKB 280. I noticed that extractor on this model is split in the middle, unlike the two SKB 100s that I own.

Does this feature present any problems when making this gun race ready?

• Like 1

Most 200s & 280s were made with split extractors. My 10 yr old 200E still has them. Most skb smiths, i.e, Johnny Meadows, now weld them up as part of the action job.

DC

I recently "adopted" a SKB 280. I noticed that extractor on this model is split in the middle, unlike the two SKB 100s that I own.

Does this feature present any problems when making this gun race ready?

Most of the folks I know have modified the extractors a lot including welding the two pieces together. Many reform the extractor. In it's basic form it is hourglass shaped. Many knock off the two two side ears of the hour glass area (leaving something more like an upside down T), then filing a ridge sloping down from the middle of the vertical portion of the extractor on both sides for ease of separation of 2 shells into their chambers. In this manner the extractor vertical portion looks like a dull knife or ax blade. This leaves the bottom of the extractor to do it's job.

Doc Noper welds them up nicely and also modifies them to allow for more extraction of the hull since the ejector guns have slightly less than the extractor guns. For me I would want that little bit extra shell extraction.

Cannot imagine how the split extractor would affect anyone's ability to shoot anywhere near as fast as the gun is capable of. More modifications is not necessarily better. I built a Bunch of 200's with split extractors ( used to be ejectors) and never had an issue with them needing welding,

Cannot imagine how the split extractor would affect anyone's ability to shoot anywhere near as fast as the gun is capable of. More modifications is not necessarily better. I built a Bunch of 200's with split extractors ( used to be ejectors) and never had an issue with them needing welding,

Take nothing away from Dirt Merchant, he was doing SKB action jobs before they were popular.

That said, I can see where a stuck hull might be a little bit easier to shuck with a unified extractor versus a split. No over governing evidence, just my thoughts, be that right or wrong.

When two split extractors are welded together there is one moving piece, versus two moving pieces doing the work. I would imagine that the welded one piece is more reliable and efficient then two. Speed aside, I am referring to consistency in doing a particular job.

Any game is about efficiency, the fewer unknowns or moving parts one has to worry about.... the more focused one can be. Another example is the Ruger Vaquero transfer bar....Some shooters say it works perfectly and are happy with leaving it in, other shooters remove it, do to the potential risk of breaking during a match. Shooters choice.

Any way you look or feel about it, shooters get to do, (within the current laws) what they think will work best for them.

Great sport. :D

Dee you make a good point about a shell slipping under the lip of extractor from split ejectors. It can happen when the rim ring is chamfered down too far or it's taken past 180'. The bottom part of the rim of the ejectors (now extractors) should be left alone just for this reason.

Split extractors is the easy way to tell if your gun has ejectors or extractors, if they are split you need the ejector mechanism disabled, shouldn't be a problem otherwise.

Gee I thought all SKBs come with ejectors that have to be modified??

There were 2 levels of guns from SKB. 100 and 200, the 150 came along later which was a higher grade 100, splinter or beaver fore end. The 100 was extractors only, 150 could be either. The 200 always was an ejector gun.

The 200 and 280 English straight stock had split ejectors which have to be disengaged for our sport. Pretty easy to do.

ALL of the models could be ordered with engraving, silver nitride , and different fore ends. They were the poor mans answer to the BSS and were all hand fitt d and extremely well made.