SASS Wire Forum

DD 214

Subdeacon Joe

:D:D :D :D

USS Tracy (DD-214/DM-19) was a Clemson-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. She was the only ship named for Secretary of the Navy Benjamin Franklin Tracy.

Tracy was laid down on 3 April and launched on 13 August 1919 by the William Cramp and Sons' Shipyard, sponsored by Mrs. Frank B. Tracy, and commissioned on 9 March 1920, Commander Lawrence P. Treadwell in command.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

Why would people say a WW l Destroyer? Seems to me WW l ended Nov 11th 1918. This ship may be from that ERA but the WAR ended before she was ever started. 1919-1946 is a great run. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Why would people say a WW l Destroyer? Seems to me WW l ended Nov 11th 1918. This ship may be from that ERA but the WAR ended before she was ever started. 1919-1946 is a great run. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Big Jake

The Tracy, being a Clemson class destroyer, was a WW1 Class ship, kinda like the Garand is a WWII rifle, even those made post war.

Maybe I jumped the gun on the WWl (class) ship by the dates of the war, but I assure you I do know what a DD-214 is. I have my original and used 25 copies over the years for things asking for it. USMC 1969-1972 Vietnam 1970-'71..8541 Scout Sniper. just sayin'

Big Jake

• Like 1