SASS Wire Forum

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Subdeacon Joe

What is the fascination with certain types of people in this country with grilled cheese sandwiches and the "proper" way to boil an egg? I think they're the off-spring of people that did LSD...or smoked lots of dope. Websites like Yahoo, Salon and MSN have almost weekly analysies of these two subjects. Strange.

But I do love grilled cheese sandwiches.

I have discovered tomato bisque soup. Very nice with the griddled cheese.

Geeez oh man.....this guy is high on coffee or something worse! I toast the bread, put a couple of slices of any kind of cheese inside the toast and pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds! WALLAH!!! I have a microwaved cheese sang-which and ya know what, it's delicious! :) Yes tomato soup with it is a must :)

Alton Brown needs a bag of chips, a beer and to sit down and watch the game.

I have discovered tomato bisque soup. Very nice with the griddled cheese.

griddled or grilled?

Geeez oh man.....this guy is high on coffee or something worse! I toast the bread, put a couple of slices of any kind of cheese inside the toast and pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds! WALLAH!!! I have a microwaved cheese sang-which and ya know what, it's delicious! :) Yes tomato soup with it is a must :)

You never had something where somebody tried to do it a little better?

griddled or grilled?

You never had something where somebody tried to do it a little better?

Yea of course but I'm happy with the way I do it, is that okay with you??? :blink:

Absolutely. You are the consumer.

I put in the extra effort to win culinary competitions, so I follow what others do and then add or change embellishments.

And maybe I should add that my embellishments are usually not cost effective except in a very pricey restaurant.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1

Absolutely. You are the consumer.

I put in the extra effort to win culinary competitions, so I follow what others do and then add or change embellishments.

And maybe I should add that my embellishments are usually not cost effective except in a very pricey restaurant.

I'm happy for you, "To each his own"!!

It must be the dead of winter when a thread about cheese, bread and tomato soup can get snarky.

On a below zero day in the deer blind together, my daughter and I discovered our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were frozen! We grilled them on the buddy heater to thaw them out. Came off toasted and smelling great. Best sandwiches we ever ate.

• Like 2

Crab is delicate so one would want to watch what kind of cheese was used.,

so it didn't overpower the crab meat. Salmon flakes might be a little stronger

flavor, but crab sounds better to me.

A word of caution: DO NOT USE LIMBERGER CHEESE FOR GRILLING.

On a below zero day in the deer blind together, my daughter and I discovered our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were frozen! We grilled them on the buddy heater to thaw them out. Came off toasted and smelling great. Best sandwiches we ever ate.

Cold weather generally makes food taste better. But that said, PB&J is good stuff.

Oh man, I haven't had toasted PB&J in decades.......always had that extra tasty zing!!

I love watching Alton Brown. I always learn something about cooking and chemistry. I love to cook.

So it's all good.

Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup or bisque. YUM!

Maybe not the best sandwich you ever had, but pretty close, It's an old idea. The Croque Monsieur is a a grilled ham and cheese (sometimes with a tomato slice) assembled in a fold-over "iron" press and cooked over a stove burner. The iron seals the bread on all four edges, sealing the steaming melted cheese and ham inside the bread. The iron often has a seashell design that gets embossed into the both bread slices.

Don't get the electric Croque Monsier iron. Get the "manual" version on eBay or Etsey or Amazon? You can assemble the sandwich any way you want, of course.

Some people butter both sides of the bread, but I use a cooking spray on the iron. Lay a slice of bread on the iron, layer in cheese, ham, tomato, cheese. Then, lay the other slice of bread over the assembly, fold the other side of the iron over the sandwich, while pushing/cramming/stuffing the edge of the bread in. Clip the retainer/lock over the handle. Pop it on the stove burner, let cook for 2-3 minutes until toasted, flip and do the other side. At first you have to check often to be sure it's toasted but not burned.

Maybe not the best sandwich you ever had, but pretty close, It's an old idea. The Croque Monsieur is a a grilled ham and cheese (sometimes with a tomato slice) assembled in a fold-over "iron" press and cooked over a stove burner. The iron seals the bread on all four edges, sealing the steaming melted cheese and ham inside the bread. The iron often has a seashell design that gets embossed into the both bread slices.

Don't get the electric Croque Monsier iron. Get the "manual" version on eBay or Etsey or Amazon? You can assemble the sandwich any way you want, of course.

Some people butter both sides of the bread, but I use a cooking spray on the iron. Lay a slice of bread on the iron, layer in cheese, ham, tomato, cheese. Then, lay the other slice of bread over the assembly, fold the other side of the iron over the sandwich, while pushing/cramming/stuffing the edge of the bread in. Clip the retainer/lock over the handle. Pop it on the stove burner, let cook for 2-3 minutes until toasted, flip and do the other side. At first you have to check often to be sure it's toasted but not burned.

We have an old one, called a Toast Tite. It is round and seals the bread in a circle. It came to the marriage with hubby. He would slice hot dogs and cheese between the bread. YUMMY!

My favorite watering hole/restaurant just changed their menu and has a grilled crab and cheese sandwich. Thanks for helping me decide what to have next time I go there.

Give us a report if you will, Allie. If I get to my favorite seafood market, I may pick up some crab meat and try it.

• Like 1

We have an old one, called a Toast Tite. It is round and seals the bread in a circle. It came to the marriage with hubby. He would slice hot dogs and cheese between the bread. YUMMY!

Allie,

Google:

croque monsieur iron

and about 1/3 down are images of the CM irons. I think I see a picture of yours and mine. Mine has long handles and two spaces with seashells. I see the round one, probably same as yours.

They are yummy! :-)

I like the things Alton Brown does. For me, though, a grilled cheese, or griddled cheese, if you prefer, is something that is simple, fast, and tasty. While what he did sounds good, it is neither simple nor fast.

Allie,

Google:

croque monsieur iron

and about 1/3 down are images of the CM irons. I think I see a picture of yours and mine. Mine has long handles and two spaces with seashells. I see the round one, probably same as yours.

They are yummy! :-)

I bought one with the seashell shape. Hubby didn't like it. So, I gave it to Goodwill. The round one was his mom's from the 50s.