SASS Wire Forum

Uberti SAA in .44 Magnum!

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Well, today I made a great fine, a Uberti SAA clone with a 7.5" barrel for $390. And it was in .44 Magnum! Always wanted an SAA type pistol in this caliber, and it was amazing to find one here in Massachusetts.

I doubt very much that I'll ever fire "full power" loads in it even though I know it would be perfectly safe to do so.

Questions:

1. Anybody here have one of these things?

2. Anybody who has one ever fire full power loads in it, and if so what's the recoil like?

Howdy HK

Just curious, where did you find it?

I was not aware that Uberti was chambering the Cattleman for 44 Mag, but I just checked their webpage and 44 Mag is one of the listed calibers.

Did you find it new or used?

I have one with a 5 1/2 inch barrel that bought when I started in SASS many years ago. I have shot it with full loads once just to see. The recoil wasn't too bad for a full Mag. The design helps the recoil by rolling the pistol up. But i would not want to shoot full loads as there is just no need. And the gun will last much longer with moderate loads.

I like shooting about 1100 fps when shoot mag loads, but not for cowboy.

At Shot Show, Cimarron was showing their new "Bad Boy" with flat top frame, octagon barrel, target sights, and Army grip from Uberti.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/bad-boy-44-mag-8-in.html

At Shot Show, Cimarron was showing their new "Bad Boy" with flat top frame, octagon barrel, target sights, and Army grip from Uberti.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/bad-boy-44-mag-8-in.html

You know, if that had a Navy grip and regular sights, it'd be a very close approximation of the "Big Iron" in the Marty Robbins song, and I would want to buy one.

But I live in Massachusetts. :(

Well, it's just as well that I am too busy this weekend to go to the show in Marlboro. I have been spending too much money on guns lately.

Looking at the Uberti web page they do list 44 Mag as one of the calibers for the Cattleman.

But looking at the specs it appears that the only one chambered for 44 Mag is the Callahan model, which comes with either 4 3/4" or 6 1/2" barrel. There is also the 'target' model with 6 1/2" barrel only. So that model probably is heftier to take the 44 Mag cartridge.

What say you H.K? I know you have a few Colts. Is your 44 Mag heftier than a standard SAA?

What say you H.K? I know you have a few Colts. Is your 44 Mag heftier than a standard SAA?

Well, that's a question that calls for some photographs. :)

Let's start by taking a look at a First Generation made in 1881 that started life as a .44-40 that has been redone as a .32-20

1st%20Gen%2032_zps3ealbldr.jpg

Up next is a Second Generation .45 made in 1971

2nd%20Gen%2045_zps3egj1h0s.jpg

Next is a Third Generation .44 Special. Not sure exactly when it was made.

3rd%20Gen%2044_zpssr1mwm1m.jpg

Sorry about the Buntline nature of this one, but it's the only "long barreled" 3rd Gen I have.

And finally, here's the Uberti .44 Magnum.

Uberti%2044_zpsbnu81dkd.jpg

Comparing the four revolvers, they feel pretty much the same in the hand, and at a glance to they don't look all that different to me. The one that is most similar to the Uberti is the .45, and they feel to weigh about the same.

But let's take a closer look at some of the details.

Frames_zpsqjjkdg8v.jpg

Upper Left is the 1st Gen, Upper right the 2nd, lower left is the 3rd and lower right is the Uberti.

The topstrap of the First is noticeably thinner than the 2nd and 3rd, while Uberti is clearly thicker than the Colts. And that's not all.

Cylinder%20Beefy_zpszlwc67uc.jpg

The cylinder on the left is the .44 Special from the 3rd Generation Buntline.

The one on the right is from the .44 Magnum Uberti.

It is very easy to see how the Magnum cylinder is just a little bit "beefier" than the Colt.

And then there is this...

Cylinder%20Length_zpsclwhq0hu.jpg

As you can see the Uberti Magnum cylinder is just a little bit longer than the Colt one. A quick check confirmed for me that 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Colts all have the same length cylinder, regardless of caliber. I also checked a couple of others at random and made it a point to check my ASM and my other Uberti that are both in .45, and they have the same length cylinder as the Colts. I am gonna assume that Uberti made this cylinder longer so that it would not accidentally dropped into a gun without the thicker frame.

So to answer Driftwood's original question, yes, the Magnum does seem to be slightly heftier than a standard SAA.

Oh, and according the box it's an S.A. Buckhorn revolver. Imported by American Arms and made by Uberti.

Okay, that's it. Comments?

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

H.K.

The most useful photo is #7, comparing two cylinders together.since both cylinders are 44 caliber, that is an apples to apples comparison. Talking about thicker top straps and stuff is all well and good, but the pedal hits the metal, so to speak, in the cylinders, which must contain the pressure of the cartridges firing. It appears to me that the web between chambers is slightly thicker on the Uberti 44 Magnum cylinder than the Colt 44 Special cylinder. A simple measurement with a caliper could confirm this. An even better photo would be a side by side comparison of both cylinders from the rear. Well lit of course, so it can be seen if either cylinder has more metal between the cylinders. A simple measurement would suffice too.

I am talking about a photo like this, which clearly shows how much bigger and stronger the 'old model' Vaquero cylinder is tjam tje Iberto Cattleman on the left and the 2nd Gen Colt on the right. All three cylinders are chambered for 45 Colt. I suspect the difference between you Colt 44 Special cylinder and the new Uberti 44 Mag cylinder may not be quite so obvious, but this is the type of photo I am talking about.

cylinders_01.jpg

There are other considerations, such as how deep the bolt cuts are, but a measurement of the metal between chambers would go a long way towards confirming if the Uberti 44 Mag is indeed beefier than a standard Colt or Uberti in 44 Special. There are other things too, the diameter of the Mag cylinder could be larger, allowing the chambers to be set further out, which would increase the distance between them, but getting an accurate measurement on that might take some fancy measuring techniques. But a simple measurement of the diameters of the two cylinders could also be useful.

Just some thoughts.

The Uberti 44 Mag would have been proofed in Italy with proof loads for 44 Mag, and European proofing standards are actually a little bit higher than American standards. So that 44 Mag should be safe to shoot with standard 44 Magnum ammunition, I suspect it would not be limited to 'cowboy loads' unless that was clearly stated somewhere in the owner's manual.

Edited by Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283

The Uberti 44 Mags predated cowboy action by several years. I've seen them as early as the mid-'70s. And don't think that the thicker top strap is an unimportant consideration in containing the pressures of the 44Mag.

The Uberti 44 Mags predated cowboy action by several years. I've seen them as early as the mid-'70s. And don't think that the thicker top strap is an unimportant consideration in containing the pressures of the 44Mag.

yup had a 41 Buckhorn with adjustable sights, one cylinder of factory PMCs was enuff for this wimp and traded it off

Well Griff, as I've said many times, it is the cylinder that contains the pressure of the cartridge firing. The frame, which includes the top strap, does not see the pressure of the cartridge firing. However the frame does see the pounding of recoil, and a thicker top strap will be important in keeping the frame from stretching or otherwise failing from the heavier recoil of the 44 Mag cartridge.

Well Griff, as I've said many times, it is the cylinder that contains the pressure of the cartridge firing. The frame, which includes the top strap, does not see the pressure of the cartridge firing. However the frame does see the pounding of recoil, and a thicker top strap will be important in keeping the frame from stretching or otherwise failing from the heavier recoil of the 44 Mag cartridge.

Aye, we're in agreement.

H.K.

I am talking about a photo like this, which clearly shows how much bigger and stronger the 'old model' Vaquero cylinder is tjam tje Iberto Cattleman on the left and the 2nd Gen Colt on the right. All three cylinders are chambered for 45 Colt. I suspect the difference between you Colt 44 Special cylinder and the new Uberti 44 Mag cylinder may not be quite so obvious, but this is the type of photo I am talking about.

cylinders_01.jpg

Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to posting this, but here goes...

44s_zpswugkeotl.jpg

The Cylinder on the left is the Uberti .44 Magnum. The right is a Colt .44 Special.

As you can clearly see, the Magnum cylinder is bigger than the special, and the walls around the chambers are noticeably thicker.

So I guess this finally answers Driftwood's question, yes, the Magnum is indeed heftier than the Colts.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619