SASS Wire Forum

How can I tell a new from old Vaquero?

Deadeye George

How about Vaquero Viejo and Vaquero Nuevo in keeping with the Spanish theme. This also makes us much more multi cultural and trendy, which will equal a mass entrance of hipsters into SASS.........wait never mind bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok large size frame is a ruger vaquero. It says so right on the gun. 😉 the ones that are incorrectly naming a size are the ones that shorten NEW vaquero to just vaquero.

How about the old one Ruger Vaquero and the NEW one Colt Vaquero ??? I mean they did make it the size of a Colt!!! :P

• Like 1

I find it humorous how folks get their undies in a knot when folks talk about old model Vaqueros, new model Vaqueros, Flat Tops, 3 screws, and new model Blackhawks. Who gives a rats butt if there are common understood names given to things. Most everyone knows what Featherlites are but Winchester never called them that, at least that I recall.

• Like 1

I find it humorous how folks get their undies in a knot when folks talk about old model Vaqueros, new model Vaqueros, Flat Tops, 3 screws, and new model Blackhawks. Who gives a rats butt if there are common understood names given to things. Most everyone knows what Featherlites are but Winchester never called them that, at least that I recall.

Actually Winchester did call them Featherlites.....even had an image of a feather printed on the shell.

Stan

• Like 1

Blame it on the third grade! ;) It all started when teachers pasted those little gold stars next to your name on a wall chart for certain accomplishments. The more gold stars one had showed that they were smarter, brighter than the rest of the class and those little stars gave one a sense of accomplishment and superiority. Some have strived for that feeling their whole lives, and simple things like correcting others gives them that feeling, others could care less.

Can you just imagine the conversation among car guys when talking about their favorite cars and the talk shifted to the '57 Chevy only to have someone correct the others by saying that technically they were Chevrolet's and there was no such thing as a Chevy! There would be tar and feathers made ready :o Personally, in my hot rod days I had an Olds 442 (very similar to the Oldsmobile 442 but I never had to explain that since everyone knew)

Regardless of what we call these guns (Oops, I mean handguns or revolvers or single action revolvers) at least we know what kind of bullets we load in them (Oops, I mean cartridges or rounds or ammunition (is ammo still acceptable?)) Ya gotta love it! :)

• Like 1

Actually Winchester did call them Featherlites.....even had an image of a feather printed on the shell.

Stan

I know they have a feather on the shell. Could not find the word festherlite anywhere. I have some boxes of them at least 10 yrs old and many in between all the way to the latest.

To further confuse Ruger fans the 44 Special built on a small frame with 510 or 512 prefix says Ruger Vaquero on the side.

While the Ruger 44 Mag birdshead built on a large frame with a 59 prefix says New Vaquero on the side.

• Like 1

And then there are the 32 Rugers. They come in several varieties, the so called Baby Vaqueros with fixed rear sights. Single sixes with adjustable rear sights, etc. Were Vaqueros ever made in 32 caliber?

And then there are the 32 Rugers. They come in several varieties, the so called Baby Vaqueros with fixed rear sights. Single sixes with adjustable rear sights, etc. Were Vaqueros ever made in 32 caliber?

I believe there were 32's in a black box, special edition.

I thought I had seen shooters shooting Vaqueros in 32-20.

I think it was Davidsons - made a special run with 32 20 cylinder and a 32 H&R Mag cylinder, "Buckeye Special"?

Bwahaha in spite of the accusation, my drawers (men do not wear panties) were never in a wad and I long ago accepted the FACT that Old Model Vaquero is what it will ever be here. Even tho lost causes are the only ones worth fighting, I long ago threw in the towel on this one and it causes me no angst. In fact I actually have come to think Old Model Vaquero is descriptive and indeed everyone knows what is being referred to. Even tho the word Model is unnecessary.

BUT I continue to think Ruger has dropped the word NEW off the side of all recent production. Just look at the new ads and you will see this is so

Bwahaha in spite of the accusation, my drawers (men do not wear panties) were never in a wad and I long ago accepted the FACT that Old Model Vaquero is what it will ever be here. Even tho lost causes are the only ones worth fighting, I long ago threw in the towel on this one and it causes me no angst. In fact I actually have come to think Old Model Vaquero is descriptive and indeed everyone knows what is being referred to. Even tho the word Model is unnecessary.

BUT I continue to think Ruger has dropped the word NEW off the side of all recent production. Just look at the new ads and you will see this is so

Really? I haven't seen a brand new ruger new vaquero standard without "ruger new vaquero" on it. Even on their website this picture says it http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/models.html

Just wanna know........ I've always heard the wear ring around the cylinder referred to as the "Ruger ring" but the photo above shows a Colt with the same ring and they've been around a lot longer than Rugers so shouldn't they too share in the honor of having the ring name after them?

Just wanna know........ I've always heard the wear ring around the cylinder referred to as the "Ruger ring" but the photo above shows a Colt with the same ring and they've been around a lot longer than Rugers so shouldn't they too share in the honor of having the ring name after them?

Any single action can get a ring if handled improperly.

That's because the timing in that Colt is bad! Or as Boggus said it was handled wrong! It's obviously an old gun that's been shot a bunch! I have one Colt that has a ring around the cylinder because someone shot it and the timing was bad! It's fixed now so at least it won't get any worse! The "Ruger Ring" is a real thing!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

• 11 months later...
Guest Grass Range #51406
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

If the cylinder is sjipping bolt notches it's a new model.......

?

Vaquero skipping?  I have never experienced that, as I have not yet learned to shoot fast.

The way I tell is by whether the base pin comes all the way out.  But it occurs to me that this might change with different barrel lengths.  I am pretty much only interested in 5.5" barrels, and in that length the OMVs base pin won't come all the way out (at least not with the amt of effort I've been willing to give it), but on NMVs, colts, and colt clones it does. 

So my question to some of you who like those oddball barrel lengths, does that hold true? 

To answer a couple of other things that were brought up: 

1.  The part number for the feather lights is FL7 or FL8 (depending on shot size), indicating that Winchester could have at least internally called them featherlights even if it wasn't ever on the box. 

2.  "Model" is important because then we can shorten them to NMV and OMV and everyone will know what we're talking about.  OV isn't nearly as clear given that it's only a 2 letter three letter acronym. 

Edited by Ramblin Gambler

Someday, 120 years from now someone that is researching firearms history is going to find this thread...

For that person I say, Deuce ain't the only one that apparently drinks around here...:lol: