SASS Wire Forum

How can I tell a new from old Vaquero?

Deadeye George

In 2015 I bought a pair of Ruger Vaqueros from a member here who was getting out of CAS and I was told they were old model Vaqueros. I'm going to run an ad in the classifieds so I looked at the plastic cases they came in to get the exact model numbers but nothing says anything about new or old and I want to make sure I represent them properly. Serial numbers on the plastic case labels match serial numbers on the revolvers. One case says model 00582 and the other case says model 00578 although they appear identical in every detail I can see. One box says catalog BNV-35 while the other box says catalog BNV-35i.

Can one tell old model from new model by the serial numbers? Both serial numbers start with 058-, one being 058-247** and the other 58-924** Both are case hardened if that matters.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Deadeye George

Old just says Vaquero on the lower left frame.

New say 'New Model Vaquero' on the frame.

NMV has a smaller frame.

What caliber are these?

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

Look on the left side of the gun frame. The older model Vaquero simply says "Ruger Vaquero". The smaller, newer framed model says "Ruger New Vaquero".

16298741_626239804251110_49452430023200316196083_626239807584443_602276050895735

Edited by McCandless

If the cylinder is sjipping bolt notches it's a new model.......

Been there - Done that. Never had problem with mine but I forgot our pistols for a monthly last summer. I borrowed a set of New Vaqueros to shoot. When I tried to run them at speed - skipped notches - slowed down and they were fine. The owner shoots slower so he never had the problem.

One set-up that will cause a little kink in the norm of things Ruger , the 44 Specials are the New Vaquero frame size , but just have "Vaquero" stamped on the frame.

Rex :D

That's why I recommend the two or three number prefix method of identification.

Sixgun Seamus, on 28 Jan 2017 - 6:22 PM, said:

Been there - Done that. Never had problem with mine but I forgot our pistols for a monthly last summer. I borrowed a set of New Vaqueros to shoot. When I tried to run them at speed - skipped notches - slowed down and they were fine. The owner shoots slower so he never had the problem.

Seamus, you could've borrowed mine. Mine don't skip. But you have to shoot BP with it. :P:lol::lol:

Why do they skip Deuce?

It took 2 trips back to ruger to finally get one of my NMV fixed properly. New cylinder had to be made and fitted to pistol.

JK

Miss-fitting cylinders and poor customer service. So this is yet another way to tell the difference between the original and new Vaqueros

Good to know! ;)

Edited by Deadeye George

Whoever is in charge of naming guns at Ruger needs to be pistol whipped with an "old" model vaquero. Their lack of imagination when it comes to distinguishing different models and frame sizes has caused incredible amounts of confusion when it comes to ordering parts and holsters. They also created somewhat of a safety issue with the 45colt models if a novice reloader were to try "Ruger Only" level loads in "new" model guns.

Edited by July Smith

They are either the original Ruger Vaquero or the Ruger New Vaquero. All of them are New Model Vaqueros. None of them are Old Model Vaqueros. No such thing.

Oh there is definitely a new and old. Please don't apply Blackhawks version of old and new to vaqueros. EVERYONE knows there was never a three screw vaquero. So please stop correcting people for saying "old model" vaquero.

• Like 2

They are either the original Ruger Vaquero or the Ruger New Vaquero. All of them are New Model Vaqueros. None of them are Old Model Vaqueros. No such thing.

You posted this just to argue the difference between the words original and old, give me a break! One model was made years ago and is no longer in production, another model, the NEW model is in production so what does that make the original model......... it's the old model!

If someone posts.... "I've got a Ruger Vaquero for sale" and one of the first questions asked is..."Is it the NEW Vaquero or the older Vaquero?" THAT would be a valid question, a question that everyone would understand but if they didn't understand the meaning of the question, calling it the original wouldn't make it any clearer to them!

If it makes you feel better calling it the original then by all means carry on but I don't see the sense or the necessity since everyone in the first 29 posts knew what we are talking about.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with different ways one can tell the difference between the two models

Edited by Deadeye George
  • Like 2

One set-up that will cause a little kink in the norm of things Ruger , the 44 Specials are the New Vaquero frame size , but just have "Vaquero" stamped on the frame.

Rex :D

I believe Ruger dropped the word "new" from the side of the New Vaquero a few years ago and all the most recent ones are now just stamped Vaquero and this applies to all calibers.

Do not waste your time or breath on this forum with that correct argument, I lost that battle years ago. Folks here are gonna always insist and persist in inserting the unnecessary word "model" into all references. Tho the rest of the world knows that there never was and never could possibly be any such thing as an Old Model Vaquero, that mythical creature will always be alive and well here...sigh...

I believe Ruger dropped the word "new" from the side of the New Vaquero a few years ago and all the most recent ones are now just stamped Vaquero and this applies to all calibers.

Do not waste your time or breath on this forum with that correct argument, I lost that battle years ago. Folks here are gonna always insist and persist in inserting the unnecessary word "model" into all references. Tho the rest of the world knows that there never was and never could possibly be any such thing as an Old Model Vaquero, that mythical creature will always be alive and well here...sigh...

I don't believe that is correct about dropping the "new". Every new one I have seen anywhere still has the new on it.

As for the ambiguity of old model versus original model, does it really matter which is correct if everyone understands what you're talking about? There's no such thing as 45 long colt either, but if someone says it I know exactly what they mean. And on the rare times I have purchased 45 colt ammo, I always ask for long colt, since I have been handed a box of 45 acp quite a few times when I asked for 45 colt. Sometimes you just have to adapt to the local colloquialisms. Someone once said you can either be right or you can be happy. I think that was for marriage advice, but often it applies here as well. Life is just too short to get your panties in a wad over something so trivial.

• Like 4