SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy long range rifle

Wolf Tracker

Howdy all

Looking for wisdom from the wire. I am setting up a rifle for cowboy long range side matches in pistol caliber (I already have one for rifle caliber). I have two rifles available which to use. They are both Marlin 1894cb limited with 24 inch barrels. One is in 45LC and the other is 357 mag. Which caliber is better for long range? Also which size bullets do you use for the caliber you suggest? Thanks ahead for the info.

WT

I've got one in .45 Colt and have shot it successfully out to about 230 yards with 250 gr. bullets. How much terminal mojo the bullet had I can't say. It's not a particularly flat shooter, I had to hold over about the same amount as .45-70 cowboy loads.

I've shot my .357 mag with 158 grain bullets also out to 230 yards successfully. I suggest you load some rounds and see which rifle groups best at 100 yards. The rifle you choose should be easy to shoot offhand since that shooting position is often required.

Wolf Tracker are you planning on banging steel targets or are you looking to precision shoot on paper? Most long range pistol cal. matches I've seen are just 5 or 10 shots at a 100 yard steel plate. Match ammo works for me. Don't over think it, I've seen too many shooters grab hotter loads or aim too high, which equates to inconsistent shooting. I shoot dead center at 100 yards and slightly over the top of the target at 200 and have had good success. I'm just using 105 grain 38's at 950 fps.

Howdy all

Looking for wisdom from the wire. I am setting up a rifle for cowboy long range side matches in pistol caliber (I already have one for rifle caliber). I have two rifles available which to use. They are both Marlin 1894cb limited with 24 inch barrels. One is in 45LC and the other is 357 mag. Which caliber is better for long range? Also which size bullets do you use for the caliber you suggest? Thanks ahead for the info.

WT

If your setting up a rifle for long range, then set it up with target sights. I use the Soule sight from my other long range rifles. I bought another base and mounted on my rifle. I record my sight setting for each range I shoot at. While both calibers will work, my preference would be the 357 with heavy bullets (180 to 200 grains). What ever you do, be sure the rifling twist will support the weight of bullet you shoot. All of my long range rifles tend to work better (ie hit the target more times) when I shoot heavy bullets at moderate speeds.

:-).44 Eem Mag is my choice :-)

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. My goal was to see which is a more accurate shooter at the range, but winter came to quick, and since I live in Wisconsin January at the range is no fun, so that is why I asked here. All the cowboy side matches I have encountered have been steel targets but being a bit of a perfectionist, I would like a rifle that has the best groupings I can get. I do have a vernier rear sight and a globe front that I will make work from an old Rolling Block project I had.I know it is a bit of overkill at the distances that most side matches are, but again, I am a bit of a perfectionist. I may have to wait for warmer weather to make my decision but appreciate the info given.