SASS Wire Forum

Pistol Cal long range rifle............

Knarley Bob

Most my loading manuals have a "Ruger/Thompson Center Only" section for pistol cartrages, are they usable if being used in a rifle?

Knarley

I can't speak to the validity of the Ruger Loads, but I do know that the TC can handle "suped" loads. Also, TC pistols can accept the rifle barrel and vice-a-versa. (however I would not do(you just created an unregistered SBR)) The TC's chambers are oversized to handle hotter loads.

Depends on the model rifle.

In a Toggle Link (Henry, 66, 73)?

NO.

There's a reason that Uberti hasn't came out with a .44 Mag toggle link replica. That level of pressure and recoil is too much for the links in a pistol caliber action.

In a Winchester '92 or '94? Yes. Been there, done that.

Marlin '94? Sure.

Big Boy? Don't know.

This is a good link in regards to barrel length ballstics. I get a kick out of folks when they spout FPS stats on certain loads without realizing barrel length plays a big part in those stats. The "hot" T/C and Ruger loads might be too much for certain rifles but you might find by using a link like the one below that what you are looking for out of a rifle might be a moderate to fasr pistol load.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the link.

I'm gonna be stayin' in the normal pistol loading bracket. I prefer pretty guns to blowed up ones............'sides, I like my fingers too.

Knarley