SASS Wire Forum

California looking to secede

Tom Bullweed

The news is aboil with movement within California's state legislature to pass a bill removing the state's acknowlegdement of the US Constitution as binding. The purpose or this bill is to make the first steps towards seccession.

I guess may answer the question posted about a week ago about shipping guns to California.

• Like 1

A man failed to win the popular vote and in fact only won 39% of it but won 59% of the electoral vote due to the concentration of population in the states he won..in fact he received a smaller percentage of the popular vote than nearly all the losers.

A large segment of the citizens felt he was not the legitimate president because he only carried 18 states all the others voted against the candidate

He was accused of implementing unconstitutional measures

He was one of the most unpopular presidents of his day...upon taking office he had what would equate to a modern approval rating of less than 25%

Major news media hounded him, satirized him, made fun of his looks, called him incompetent, a gorilla etc a few examples - The NEW YORK TRIBUNE joked that he "may live a hundred years without having so good a chance to die", The CHICAGO TIMES, branded one of his policies "..a monstrous usurpation, a criminal wrong, and an act of national suicide.....the time is brief when we shall have a DICTATOR proclaimed", The NEW YORK HERALD stated "The politicians have again proclaimed this PRESIDENTIAL-PIGMY as their nominee...." , the NEW YORK WORLD said "...the OBSCENE APE is about to be deposed.."

Accusations of election fraud and shock from the losing party a NY times head line "THE DAY AFTER THE ELECTION THE REPUBLICANS IN THEIR TRIUMPH.....THE LAMENTATIONS OF THE DEFEATED" another headline read ...Report of alderman from the City of New York "it is currently reported and believed that there exists in this city an organized body...who intend, on the day of election, to obstruct the polls...and challenge very voter they can in order to keep back the electors and delay voting on that day...."

Many citizens felt he was not qualified for the office

Many of his own cabinet felt they were better qualified to hold office

One well known "progressive" activist called him a "First rate, second rate man"

So many believed that he did not win the election and was not "legitimate" that some states moved to secede...

He put forward the principle that IN A REPUBLIC the citizens can not decide they want to leave because they don't like the results of an election...In a Republic it is the citizens duty that if they do not agree with the results of an election to convince their peers that they made a mistake and vote against the office holder in the next election...thus is the way of Republics.

Military leaders ridiculed him and called him a fool or the "original gorilla" (a direct quote)

Later when his party came to him and told him he was LOSER and that to avoid losing the next election he should suspend the election, a power granted to him by congress, he refused stating that the government of ANY Republic that was afraid of the voice of the people should not govern

The states that disagreed seceded from the Union an action severely criticized by "progressives"

The man was Abraham Lincoln

The states that seceded became the Confederate States an action that has been criticized by progressives up until the latest election

These things are not made up by me they are historic fact...anyone can look them up...

A history lesson for those that don't agree with the results of the election

Tinpan McGurk

Edited by Tinpan McGurk
  • Like 1

I really don't see much of a problem if Kalif. want to leave the US. Then when the people from Kalif want to visit or move to another state because their state is going down the drain they weill have to be vetted. Adios Kalif. I just feel sorry for the real Americans that have to put up with the liberal bs.

A man failed to win the popular vote and in fact only won 29% of it but won 59% of the electoral vote due to the concentration of population in the states he won..in fact he received a smaller percentage of the popular vote than nearly all the losers.

A large segment of the citizens felt he was not the legitimate president because he only carried 18 states all the others voted against the candidate

He was accused of implementing unconstitutional measures

He was one of the most unpopular presidents of his day...upon taking office he had what would equate to a modern approval rating of less than 25%

Major news media hounded him, satirized him, made fun of his looks, called him incompetent, a gorilla etc a few examples - The NEW YORK TRIBUNE joked that he "may live a hundred years without having so good a chance to die", The CHICAGO TIMES, branded one of his policies "..a monstrous usurpation, a criminal wrong, and an act of national suicide.....the time is brief when we shall have a DICTATOR proclaimed", The NEW YORK HERALD stated "The politicians have again proclaimed this PRESIDENTIAL-PIGMY as their nominee...." , the NEW YORK WORLD said "...the OBSCENE APE is about to be deposed.."

Accusations of election fraud and shock form the losing party a NY times head line "THE DAY AFTER THE ELECTION THE REPUBLICANS IN THEIR TRIUMPH.....THE LAMENTATIONS OF THE DEFEATED" another headline read ...Report of alderman from the City of New York "it is currently reported and believed that there exists in this city an organized body...who intend, on the day of election, to obstruct the polls...and challenge very voter they can in order to keep back the electors and delay voting on that day...."

Many citizens felt he was not qualified for the office

Many of his own cabinet felt they were better qualified to hold office

One well known "progressive" activist called him a "First rate, second rate man"

So many believed that he did not win the election and was not "legitimate" that some states moved to secede...

He put forward the principle that IN A REPUBLIC the citizens can not decide they want to leave because they don't like the results of an election...In a Republic it is the citizens duty that it they do not agree with the results of an election to convince their peers that they made a mistake and vote against the office holder in the next election...thus is the way of Republics.

Military leaders ridiculed him and called him a fool or the "original gorilla" (a direct quote)

Later when his party came to him and told him he was LOSER and that to avoid losing the next election he should suspend the election, a power granted to him by congress, he refused stating that the government of ANY Republic that was afraid of the voice of the people should not govern

The states that disagreed seceded from the Union an action severely criticized by "progressives"

The man was Abraham Lincoln

The states that seceded became the Confederate States an action that has been criticized by progressives up until the latest election

These things are not made up by me they are historic fact...anyone can look them up...

A history lesson for those that don't agree with the results of the election

Tinpan McGurk

Don't know if all is accurate, I looked up electoral history of Abe, and this is what I found;

Popular vote, Abraham Lincoln 39.8%

Stephen Douglas 29.5%

Electorial; Abraham Lincoln 180

John C. Brickinrige 72

Found that here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_history_of_Abraham_Lincoln

Didn't take the time to look anything else up since that did not apperar to be accurate.

If California seceded then they could vote to become a state of Mexico. Then the wall would have to be extended along Arizona, Nevada, Oregon...

That could get interesting! 🤔

If they do sedede

If California seceded then they could vote to become a state of Mexico. Then the wall would have to be extended along Arizona, Nevada, Oregon...

That could get interesting!

And how much foreign aid would we have to pay??

Edited by Reuben McCoy Rankin # 34239

California is not going secede. Even if it wanted to, there's no way that anyone would let that happen. Over half the food grown in the us comes from California, as well as a whole lot of tax dollars. California may not be able to survive on its own, but sure as hell the rest of the country can't survive without California. For better or worse, both need each other.

Well as a resident of California I always joked the state government would build a wall to keep the tax payers in:) truthfully I expected it to be a virtual wall built with some legislation to attempt to tax anyone leaving with funds earned while in California. Then of course they did try this with retirement income but were not successful......yet:\

Well you cannot have as much fun with it but there is also a movement to split the state into two states.

Click here to read about it---> http://www.soj51.net/

The county I live in voted 2 to 1 for Trump. I suspect we will pay for that as the California Legislature drafts laws to punish our county. Our County Sheriff has a shall issue policy for CCW permits and at a Pro Gun Rights rally I attended he spoke and stated "I will not put law abiding citizens behind bars for violating these new gun laws."

So make your jokes but make no mistake, the good fight is being fought here and we are severely out numbered by the leftist leaning LA and SF populations. I ask you to ponder how you would do in similar circumstances?

SJS

Edited by San Joaquin Shootist

California is not going secede. Even if it wanted to, there's no way that anyone would let that happen. Over half the food grown in the us comes from California, as well as a whole lot of tax dollars. California may not be able to survive on its own, but sure as hell the rest of the country can't survive without California. For better or worse, both need each other.

California and any other State cannot secede from the Union without the permission of Congress.

I think California splitting into two separate States is a excellent idea. The rural agricultural counties are more conservative which will give us two new Senate seats in Congress.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 28, 2017 - Insult, afdds nothing.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 28, 2017 - Insult, afdds nothing.

THEY ( Kalifornya) would pay for the wall.......It would be better if they all jumped up and down on the fault line, and sank into the Pacific. IMHO of course :P

Need to see some stats on that from a respectable source; pretty sure there's a lot of corn and grains grown as well as cattle and chicken raised in the flyover states that might dispute that. As far as us surviving without California, I'm positive we'd be fine; especially here in Tennessee.

That said I hope they don't move forward with this and I hope they do not successfully secede. What I do wish is for is California to split into another state so that the electoral college doesn't always go to the democrats.

As far as cattle numbers go, little ol' Kansas all by its ownself has more cattle than California, and Texas, Kansas, and Nebraska together have more cattle than all the other states combined:

http://www.beefusa.org/beefindustrystatistics.aspx

Scroll down this one a few pages and you can compare poultry numbers as well (more in the eastern and southern states than California):

https://www.usda.gov/documents/nass-poultry-stats-factsheet.pdf

So, while I like California products, I don't think anyone would starve to death if they seceded. Which I do not advocate or support by the way, just thought the numbers were interesting.

Secession: there is nothing new in this. Folks in Alaska have been trying to do this since the 1990's, CA since about 2010, FL since about 2014, GA 2009, HI, NH since 2001, Oregon since last year, SC since 2010, TX since forever, VT since 2003... there are regional secession movement, county secession movements, cities that want to secede from states...on and on... As long as there are people there will be other people that want nothing to do with them. Disagreement, even violent disagreements are as old as Cain and Able. How many of us have wanted at one time or another to secede from our own families?

No need to bash Kalifornia. They can't quit the US. Evan if they could secede the US could just turn off the water and Kalifornia would be a very different place. That water can feed crops in other states.

California and any other State cannot secede from the Union without the permission of Congress.

I think California splitting into two separate States is a excellent idea. The rural agricultural counties are more conservative which will give us two new Senate seats in Congress.

CA should realistically be about 7 states split up roughly along the lines of the geomorphic provinces.

380-GeolProvinces2.jpg

Combine the Klamath, Cascades, Modoc, and the northern bits of the Basin and Range provinces into one state.

Coast Range gets split into 2 at the Golden Gate.

Transverse Range is one state.

Great Valley is one state.

Colorado Desert could be combined with either the Peninsular Ranges or with the Mojave as a state.

Sierra Nevada can be combined with Basin & Range into a state.

That pretty well would divide it up along lines of economic interest.

Let's hope that the Cowboy way wins over rudeness because I'm watching now.

I sure hope someday to visit that great state! Aunt & Uncle got married there, dad & mom also meet there and got married after WWII in Salinas. Has it's problems just like the rest of us, but dang I know it's one heck of a BEAUTIFUL STATE! :D

The western part of NY is also making noises about splitting away from the rest of NY especially trying to get away from NY City.

Secession: there is nothing new in this. Folks in Alaska have been trying to do this since the 1990's, CA since about 2010, FL since about 2014, GA 2009, HI, NH since 2001, Oregon since last year, SC since 2010, TX since forever, VT since 2003... there are regional secession movement, county secession movements, cities that want to secede from states...on and on... As long as there are people there will be other people that want nothing to do with them. Disagreement, even violent disagreements are as old as Cain and Able. How many of us have wanted at one time or another to secede from our own families?

Very well said, sir.

Smokin D is correct about Popular vote I made a typo and fixed it ..my source for the stats is the American President Project and the quotes are directly from newspapers and from Civil War Trust... point being he did not win the popular vote

additional sources for info: "Lincoln at the Gates of History" - Flood

"Bloody Roads South" - Trudea

"Team of Rivals" - Kerns

"The Fredericksburg Campaign" F. O"Reilly

"Tragic Years 1860-1865" Angle and Miers

"For Cause and Comrades" McPherson

"Recollections of the Civil War" Dana

"A Rising Thunder" Wheeler

"They Have Killed Papa Dead" Pitch

"Kiling Lincoln" O'Reilly

"Behind the Scenes 30 years a Keckly

Slave and Four Years in the

Whitehouse"

"The Fate of War" Schultz

"The Civil War" Transcript - Burns

Edited by Tinpan McGurk

While speaking of produce, I believe a huge amount of produce in America comes from Chile, I do not see Americans starving for lettuce or tomatoes. In my area, Missouri, we have many farms that produce fresh vegetables. It would not impact us all that much.

We have many peach and apple orchards about in our area also, the rest of the produce is readily available fro Idaho, and Kansas and Nebraska would serve us Angus beef and tons of wheat.

STL Suomi

Unlike the imperialist federal forces of 1861.......I don't think their secession will lead to a civil war. Would Trump build a wall from Oregon to Mexico?

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins

I could be wrong about this but I think I remember reading somewhere that just after the Civil War started the Congress passed a law that made it illegal for states to secede from the Union.