SASS Wire Forum

Another RV LP System Question

Howdy again and thanks to all the Pards who helped me with the trailer battery charging system question.

I bought a used 2004 Fleetwood pop-up trailer and I decided to replace the single LP tank regulator with a dual tank regulator.

When I disconnected the old regulator from the gas line going into the trailer a bunch of black oily liquid gunk came out.

What is this stuff?

Is this normal?

Is it harmful to my LP appliances?

What should I do about it if anything?

Any and all help will be appreciated...

HH

:FlagAm:

It's normal. It is oil added to propane to provide lubrication to the pumps that pump the propane into the truck, then into your tank. Usually it just burns off with the propane. Occasionally a large buildup can cause problems in extremely cold weather, but I think what you're describing is a normal amount for a 12 year old system.

Rattlesnake Slim, on 28 Jan 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

It's normal. It is oil added to propane to provide lubrication to the pumps that pump the propane into the truck, then into your tank. Usually it just burns off with the propane. Occasionally a large buildup can cause problems in extremely cold weather, but I think what you're describing is a normal amount for a 12 year old system.

Okay thanks.

So I can just hook the system up and test my appliances?

Not gonna get black gunk all over the propane stove and elsewhere?

HH

:FlagAm:

Hoss

We had constant issues with the oil residue on forklifts for 40 years. I think you will find the quantity is very small but it can play hob with small valves, diaphragms etc. Shouldn't be a problem or much mess on the stove. Clean out what you can, put it all back together and give it a try. It may take a few seconds for the air that has gotten into the lines to purge then you will be able to light off the stove. Don't be too suprised if the strikers don't work well. If you have them. I worked for a while at an RV dealer and stove strikers were a constant problem

Imis

Normal crud.

I would buy a new reg. because of the age of this one.

When running your LPG system. Only turn on 1 tank at a time. If you have a leak. You won't lose all of your LPG.

I also carry a spare regulator as the pressure diaphragm can tear and start leaking. You have to replace the entire regulator.

Also. keep a spray bottle of soapy water handy for checking for leaks.

OLG

All above is correct.

You can reduce the amount of accumulated oil in the tank by removing it from the system.

Turn the tank upside down and leave for a couple of days.

The oil will run to the bottom/now the top of the tank where the valve is.

Tank the tank out to a remote area away from hot water heaters and any other open flames.

Keeping the tank upside down (you may need a hose if the tank has one of the newer valves to keep the safety valve open) turn on the tank and drain some of the propane.

This will also take out any oil that has collected at the valve while upside down.