SASS Wire Forum

Who are the 4 men in the webpage?

Dirt Merchant  # 61422

For some reason the slide show wasn't showing up on my computer when I first went to the page, but going back and refreshing the page it showed up, then just had to figure out how to grab the picture to show it here.

No clue on who they are.

they are young cowboy trail hands, judging by the bandanas and chaps. great pic seen in many history-of-the-west books.

Belt loops...It may not be that far back...When did pants and belt loops come together???

OK I guess need to admit to it...During my younger days I was I little wild...A few of my friends and I would raise a little trouble back then...We had this done before heading out one night...I'm the good looking one with the knife...I was younger and in better shape....Was hoping to not talk about those days...I'm not sure of the number of ladies I was with and what I might have left behind...My family could be bigger than I think....

Texas Lizard

Younger but not smarter...

That is four members of the Pelly Rat Gang.I won't tell you which one is me because they may still be looking for me.

I'm the fifth one on the right

Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego and Blackwater Desperado...

..........Widder

Not possible, none of them have a beard :ph34r:

I bet you thought I was going to say not possible because Blackwater ain't that old :P:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 2 on the right are obviously inebriated, 3 rd from the right is just a feller they take along to hold them up when they are inebriated, the one on the left is just a feller that is normally a little on the defensive side. All 4 of them are receiving their first lecture about wearing jeans to a monthly SASS match. Within 30 minutes they will all be back on the creekbank shooting beer bottles and hiding from their wives.....

I bet you thought I was going to say not possible because Blackwater ain't that old :P:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know....the second one from the left has some wild hair showing....coulda been old Backwater in his younger days. ;):lol:

Kajun

Collared shirts, belt loops and skinny belts, zippered flies - I'm thinking post-1900 photo studio dress-up.

LL

Yep, The one on the far left is wearing the same type shirt as the one second from the right. The two on the left are wearing the same type bandanna. The two on the right appear to be wearing the same type hats and the same type pants.

Hey!

I was going to tell you all who these guys were but, I hate to take all the fun out of the guessing game.

Keep guessing & have some fun cause that's the spirit of it all!

JRJ

Keep your pistols handy and the tiedowns OFF!!

Those four Cowboys look like trouble-makers to me!

By the way...did anyone check the wanted posters in Mr. Dillon's office??

:-)

• 4 weeks later...

Who were the 4 young men standing shoulder to shoulder on the SASS home webpage

I'd venture a public domain photo of young men who couldn't have imagined in their wildest dreams that their photo would become the topic of discussion a century later by people who are not related to them and had no clue as to their identity.

But it could be: They are four friends out for their last Saturday night on the town before shipping out to boot camp. Nate’s on the left, then Arlo, Fred and Clay. A few weeks later they landed in the trenches of WW1, from which only Nate would make it home. Nate treasured the photo all his life and would name his first three sons after his buddies. His eldest son, Fred would end up with the photo, but by the time Fred passed the story behind the photo had been lost. It ended up in a box of Nate’s keepsakes sold at Fred's estate sale by Nate’s great grandchildren. The box was purchased by a collector who wanted Nate’s Medal of Honor which was also in the box. The collector would eventually pass himself and his family would donate his collection to a museum who would publish the photo.

Now because a man only known as Dirt Merchant (real name unknown by most – like the men in the photo) wondered who these men were, did someone turn over the photo, see the names, do the research to discover their stories, and decided to make a movie depicting their lives. It will be directed and narrated by Clint Eastwood who will appear at the end playing the part of old Nate.

These boys were the very first Rockettes. It's true. The creator of the Rockettes wanted synchronized dancers but times were hard in the 1920's so he rounded up these 4 guys as his start. When this venture failed miserably he floated the idea to some investors in New York and the new Rockettes were born as seen below. The 4 guys in the picture tried to make a go of it on their own but failed as they drank to much and most people wouldn't pay to see four drunken men dance that couldn't even dress alike properly flail around on stage. Eventually these men found work as hotel door men in Las Vegas and they faded into history while the new Rockettes' popularity soared and the rest is history.

01+Even+in+the+beginning,+there+were+str

Just kidding :P

I have no idea who these guys were...

I'd venture a public domain photo of young men who couldn't have imagined in their wildest dreams that their photo would become the topic of discussion a century later by people who are not related to them and had no clue as to their identity.

But it could be: They are four friends out for their last Saturday night on the town before shipping out to boot camp. Nate’s on the left, then Arlo, Fred and Clay. A few weeks later they landed in the trenches of WW1, from which only Nate would make it home. Nate treasured the photo all his life and would name his first three sons after his buddies. His eldest son, Fred would end up with the photo, but by the time Fred passed the story behind the photo had been lost. It ended up in a box of Nate’s keepsakes sold at Fred's estate sale by Nate’s great grandchildren. The box was purchased by a collector who wanted Nate’s Medal of Honor which was also in the box. The collector would eventually pass himself and his family would donate his collection to a museum who would publish the photo.

Now because a man only known as Dirt Merchant (real name unknown by most – like the men in the photo) wondered who these men were, did someone turn over the photo, see the names, do the research to discover their stories, and decided to make a movie depicting their lives. It will be directed and narrated by Clint Eastwood who will appear at the end playing the part of old Nate.

I was going to venture that this is a "staged" studio picture where eastern dandies make a pic for the folks to see. However, I like Buck's version a whole lot better.

Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego and Blackwater Desperado...

..........Widder

Widder!! Yer almost right!! Two of 'em, the one on the left and the one third from the left, are kinfolks of mine!!!

Tyrel's right too!! I did have a beard back then and it was me what took the picture!!

You can tell ain't none of 'em is me. None of 'em is a southpaw!!! <_<:lol::lol:

Archived