SASS Wire Forum

Keeping shiny brass shiny?

Shooting Bull

I've never really cared how shiny my brass is as long as it's clean. Since switching to a wet tumbler with stainless steel pins though I've changed my mind a bit. Brass comes out looking like new but it's brass so it doesn't stay that way. I use the Dawn and Lemishine mixture for cleaning. Is there anything else you know of that cleans as well but will also keep the brass sparkling?

I don't know about wet tumbling. I use a brass polish mixed in with walnut shells in my tumbler. It doesn't get as shiny as new but it does stay that way for a long time.

If you were dry cleaning-Put in a couple of squirts of Turtle Was Polishing Compound in the tumble mix.

One way to keep brass shiny is zip-lock bags, with as much air removed as possible.

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

SB,

I use Lemishine & Dawn also when wet tumbling, I was experiencing the same problem youre having.

I found out that the amount of Lemishine I was using was too much....

My brass was coming out shining like new, but was tarnishing badly within hours of drying.

I cut back the amount of Lemishine to about one teaspoon per load & now the tarnishing is minimal.

Any uncoated brass exposed to the elements will tarnish.

If you want to keep it brand new bright & shiney you will have to put some type of polishing compound or coating on the brass.

i always tumble the wet cleaned brass in my vibratory tumbler, with walnut shells and paint swirl remover. I only wet tumble the BP brass, the smokeless comes out fine with just the vibratory tumbler.

Any uncoated brass exposed to the elements will tarnish.

If you want to keep it brand new bright & shiney you will have to put some type of polishing compound or coating on the brass.

And that's the unvarnished truth! ;)

I agitate mine a 50/50 mix of Simple Green for 1/2 hour, dry, dry tumble in corn cob with Turtle wax polish for 1 hour. Then into zip-lock bags for storage. They look like new brass, even shinier than new Starline. Insides are pretty clean as well. If I'm in hurry I dry them in an old fruit de-hydrater for 45 minutes to an hour.

BTW--- I've been using the same simple green mix and media for 2 seasons now without replacing and the times have stayed the same, just added a little more water and polish along the way. I am going to change it out this year however!

Edited by Eyesa Horg

After you clean brass in wet tumbler.

Dry tumble with a little brass polish, case cleaner, car wax, etc. About 10 minutes should be enough. I put my brass in well drained but still wet. I store in large size cashew nut plastic jars, Planters, etc. My brass stays shiny for months. Note: my cases are deprimed & I use about 2# of steel shot in with the dry media (Zilla Desert Blend). Been doing it for 10 years.

One step polish: Substitute a auto wax/soap solution for the Dawn. They come out clean AND polished and stay that way for a longer period of time without tarnish. I use hot water; Lemishine; and Armor brand wash and wax solution with my SS pins.

Since you wet tumble, make it easy on yourself by not using too much Dawn or Lemishine. When I first started wet tumbling I thought more was better. I also experienced tarnish after. If I use a half teaspoon of Lemishine and Dawn that is a lot. After separating pins I just pat them dry with a towel and let them sit out for a few days to dry inside. I have had no problems with tarnish since reducing the amount of cleaner to a very small amount. I shoot black powder and APP and have no trouble with like new looking brass.

Howdy Shooting Bull, I recently switched from Dawn to Mcguiars Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner for my stainless steel media. The Mcguiars leaves them clean with a slight coating of wax on them. The mix ratio or recipe is two tablespoons of Mcguiars, 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine and 1 gallon of cold water. For the winter months I still use my other tumber with Lymans Tufnut to ensure the cases are fully dried.

Ensure you give the "Evil One" some trouble the next time you see him at work, LOL!!!

To all those suggesting dry cleaning after wet, I don't even own a vibratory cleaner anymore. Once you go wet you never go..........dang, I got no rhyme. Anyway, love the idea of combo wash and wax. Will give that a try. Also, thanks for pointing out more isn't always better. I definitely use a LOT of Dawn and Lemishine.

Bull, continue to clean as you are doing then dry the cases in a towel with a hair dryer - hot to touch with your fingers. Put the brass is a sealed can or zip lock bag with several desiccants to remove any moisture in the air. The desiccants are free when you ask your pharmacist to save them for you because they put them in the garbage

I have cans of brass that are a year old in inventory - still looking good!

I accidently discovered that a 50/50 mix of crushed walnut hulls and corn cob work very well together. (It was a result of shifting corn cob from cleaned brass before checking what was already in the bottom of the shifter bucket).

Since it works so well I now use the 50/50 mix on purpose.

As mentioned above:

in place of Dawn use Armor-All Wash and Wax liquid or something similar (wally world auto section is usually cheapest)

I've had brass for over a year stay shiny. Darkens a bit but still is shiny.

You get a microscopic coating of wax on the brass and that will keep O2 away from the metal.

No extra work involved either

cr

I use Dawn, Strato-Sheen, Lemi Shine, and Scrubbing Bubbles in my wet tumbler solution. With a full load in my Rebel 17 tumbler, I only use a 1/4 teaspoon of both Strato-Sheen and Lemi-Shine, a squirt of Dawn and Scrubbing Bubbles. My brass looks new after 2 hours.

After rinsing thoroughly, I place my brass flat in a food dehydrator until dry. My brass continues to look new for months.

I have learned, however, never clean nickel plated brass in my solution (especially with brass and nickel cases in the same batch) - it makes both brass and nickel cases look "funky".

I throw the nickel brass in a regular tumbler for about 2 hours and it looks great. I also found (as already mentioned) that too much Lemi-Shine is a bad thing.

Edited by TN Mongo, SASS #61450

I keep my brass sparkling clean by cleaning them again with SS pins. They get cleaned every time after firing. Yes I'm a stickler for clean brass. If they tarnish on me before I fire them then I'm not shooting enough. ;)

as long as there is no virdegre im good with mine , but i seldom load a years rounds and fail to go through them in the year , i tumble with walnut and they come out shiny lest i get some pesky BP case in my bag , i will try the walnut/corn cob mix ,

i store mine in the plastic trays that 45 ammo came it and they do not touch , the only ones that i have issues with are the ones that i store in leather - gun belt loops or my charging strips , even those only set a couple months so its the gun belt ones i might have to clean before shooting but i try to swap them out every year ,