SASS Wire Forum

Jeans

Fast Tracker

Old age is creeping up on you if you remember when jeans came in only one length. All the kids had folded up cuffs. Your mother would yell at you if you let them drag on the ground.

Did your mother make you put a dime in your "penny" loafers in case you had to make an emergency phone call?

Fast, I was a 60s-70s kid. Jean came in different lengths but the choices were KMart, Toughskins (Sears brand) and the Levis/Lee/Wranglers for the richer kids. I wore Toughskins and knew that they would get handed down to younger brothers.

There was no loafing for us. School, work (yard or farm) and baseball filled our days.

Calling my parents would have likely meant being someplace I should not have been. We just figured it out and stayed out of trouble, mostly.

• Like 1

I thought the penny was for good luck. I don't recall pay phones taking anything but nickels dimes and quarters.

ha ha read the OP agin Slim, he said they put a dime in the penny holders. No never was a penny pay phone lowest I recall was ten cents and remember being shocked and incredulous when overnight you had to come up with 2 dimes to make a call

Howdy,

MONEY SHOOOOOES>>>>

I want money shoooooooes.

Best

CR

ps- so why hasn't somebody made cowboy boots with slots for silver dollars?

There ya go.

Edited by Chili Ron

There is a boot maker in Riverside, CA that will do that. He put a knife pocket in a pair custom made boots for me. They were not just a "penny" though.

Toke

Edited by Chalktaw A Toka, #27377L

LOL

Pay phones ?

The kids now adays never hear of a pay phone.

The used to be everywhere .

Now you would be lucky to find one.

We used to tell the Oporator the phone took our money and she would just put the call threw for us.

Where i do see pay phones, it is as if i walked through a time warp. There are maybe ten of them lined up in the Newark airport. They have no real value beyond scrap so the phone company won't remove them unless asked and that will be when the airport renovates the area. I'd bet they don't even send someone to empty the coin boxes.

Don't recall "Toughskins". Wore "Roebucks". About the time I hit high school Penney's started selling jeans. "Plain Pockets". Just as good as Levi or Wrangler, but without any fancy yeller stitching on the back pockets, so were about five bucks less.

We didn't have loafers as I recall, PF flyers!

Fast, I was a 60s-70s kid. Jean came in different lengths but the choices were KMart, Toughskins (Sears brand) and the Levis/Lee/Wranglers for the richer kids. I wore Toughskins and knew that they would get handed down to younger brothers.

There was no loafing for us. School, work (yard or farm) and baseball filled our days.

Calling my parents would have likely meant being someplace I should not have been. We just figured it out and stayed out of trouble, mostly.

PF Flyers and Red Ball Jets...I had a pair of Red Ball Jets. My Dad wouldn't buy the PF Flyers...and those damnable "Toughskins". I hated those things. My old man wouldn't spring for Levis or Wranglers.

I think I got my first pair of "real" Levis (not hand me down / charity pants) when I was in 10th grade in 1976.

PF Flyers and Red Ball Jets...I had a pair of Red Ball Jets. My Dad wouldn't buy the PF Flyers...and those damnable "Toughskins". I hated those things. My old man wouldn't spring for Levis or Wranglers.

I think I got my first pair of "real" Levis (not hand me down / charity pants) when I was in 10th grade in 1976.

Fellow "Toughskin" hater here, and those iron on patches when the knees went out.

Remember trying to convince my Mom that Converse All Stars really were worth $5.95.

• Like 1

No folded up cuffs here.

Mom would just stick me in them, mark 'em up with a chalk stick, whack 'em off and re-hem 'em a bit on the long side.

I usually wore them to rags before I grew out of them anyway.

She used to do a lot of sewing in those days. LOL

Don't recall "Toughskins". Wore "Roebucks". About the time I hit high school Penney's started selling jeans. "Plain Pockets". Just as good as Levi or Wrangler, but without any fancy yeller stitching on the back pockets, so were about five bucks less.

I remember the Plain Pockets. My mom worked for Levi Strauss and even with the company discount, the J.C. Penny Plain Pocket jeans were less expensive. Didn't start wearing Levis again till High school.

Bit of trivia but the decorative stitching on the back pockets of Levis was done totally by hand. I remember my first time visiting my mom at the factory. Was fascinated watching a woman running the pockets through the machine one after the other by hand at what seemed to me to be an unbelievable pace.

Also remember the time I came home on leave and surprised her at work. Lets just say that some of those women literally did make a Sailor blush.

Toughskins rings a bell but I don't remember why.

I do remember Grandma patching the knees of my jeans in the summer. She used the Iron In patches and then did a zig-zag stitch on the edges to keep them from curling up.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Keds tennis shoes and one length fits all jeans. If you wore the knees out you got them renewed with iron on patches.

I had a couple loafers once for a short time...Fired 'em ;)

I was always tearing the crotches out of my pants climbin' trees. My Mom put those iron on patches in the pants to patch 'em. As you might imagine, that was uncomfortable when the curled up around the edges. :o

Converse All Stars were another shoe I loved. Then my Mom found the "generic" ones. They sucked. Like Shotgun Clay I had to do some convincing to get the Converse shoes.

Old age is creeping up on you if you remember when jeans came in only one length. All the kids had folded up cuffs. Your mother would yell at you if you let them drag on the ground.

Did your mother make you put a dime in your "penny" loafers in case you had to make an emergency phone call?

I remember the jeans... and iron-onpatches. Always wore western or engineer boots until I got to high school and wore military low quarter shoes or combat boots in ROTC and PH Fliers for gym.

I also remember "tan" Levis jeans and "jumper" jackets with light blue Levis shirts with snaps instead of buttons.

I can't ever remember not wearing a cowboy hat until high school ROTC either.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935

Anyone remember CPO jackets? I had a great one in high school. It was a Pendleton. For years I have tried to find another one. Now everything is synthetic or it has a hood. Thank goodness for Carhartt barn jackets.

Keds tennis shoes and one length fits all jeans. If you wore the knees out you got them renewed with iron on patches.

+1

Those rolled up cuffs collected all kinds of dirt that'd empty onto the floor when we got home.

Would draw "evil eyes" around the two little rivet holes on the sides of the Keds tennis shoes.

Great memories.

Edited by Cleburne, SASS # 39597

Penny's tennies, with a line that looked like a smile on the toe. Finally got Converse in junior high. Black pair. You only got white if you actually played organized basketball. Penny's jeans for a while too. We got Levis at an old store where when you paid they put your cash in a basket and sent it upstairs on a wire. The cashier would send your change down in the basket.

We did not wear Loafers, we wore shoes that worked, lol. I do not wear levi jeans. Levis are one of the largest corporate sponsors of gun control. Most real cowboys wear Wrangler Jeans. They support Pro Rodeo.

No loafers here. We all wore black leather lace shoes, wedge sole with metal taps on the soles and horseshoe taps on the heels. Sometimes shoes were wing tips ...if you had enough $$$. 501 Levis too, cuffs rolled up, always bought them too long so we could roll them up.

Actually you could make a phone call for a penny, if you had a dollar bill. Fold the bill longways until it would fit in the quarter slot. Put it in nearly all the way, drop a penny in the nickle slot, then pull out the bill. Dial tone!

When I was a kid 70+ years ago in San Angelo, all jeans had cuffs and button flies and were Levis. (All hats were Stetsons too) and no one ever managed to wear a pair out. Maybe a patch here and there, mostly on knees. There was a tradition of breaking in a new pair that involved a watering trough or a mud puddle, a dusty drag on a dirt road, road apples, and a few other touches, wear 'em till they were dry. Same with boots. Never heard of penny loafers until the family moved to Minnesota and cowboy boots were NOT worn in High School. Jeans were not allowed either. Horrible culture shock

The O'Meara Himself