SASS Wire Forum

Dillon

Painted Mohawk SASS 77785

Howdy

I have a Square Deal, just starting to have a problem with the primer retaining pin & the fitting on the end of the primer magazine tube..both are plastic...is there an upgraded version out there ?

Don't really want to stay with the plastic if possible..thanks

Only plastic, give them a call and they'll send you 3 for free at a time. When you get down to 1 call again. Be sure the primer pin & cup are adjusted to the proper height. If set too high it will catch on the tube tip and cause it to bend, thus needing replacement. The measurement is in the manual or available on-line. If you can't find it let me know and dig up the info for you. When you call press 1 I think for technical Q's. Gary is excellent to work with.

You can order an overhaul kit for$22US that has virtually every nonmetal part you will need.

Imis

For some reason my maintenance kit didn't come with the primer retaining pin that appears to be Delrin. The spring for the primer slide is longer now compared to the old machines and will need to be cut to use.

Thanks for the replies..very hard to get parts here in Aus although the maintenance kit is available.

Been playing around with it & yes the plastic end has gone out of shape but added a weight to the top of the rod & seems to work better.

​Mohawk,

One thing to be aware of is the screw on cap on the primer magazine. Do NOT screw it down tight but leave it a half turn or so loose. If it is screwed down tight, it will distort the tip on the primer tube and you will have to replace it. I speak from experience.

PP

The little plastic tip seems to be the weak spot on the SDB. I seem to go through one pretty regular.

I have been keeping good notes to figure out why and I think the issue us that the arm the moves back and forth gets dirty and starts to stick on the down stroke of the ram. This effects the timing and means that the primer cup either catches on the edge of the shell plate assembly or the internals of the ram assembly This causes the assembly to make a little pop. I think this causes the primer to turn in the cup. Because you have to double stroke the ram to correct the issue the sideways primer hits the feed tube tip and damages it.

So far this is still conjecture but I think the solution is to tear down the primer assembly at a minimum of every 1000 rounds or when ever the primer slide gets out of time even once.

There are also two travel adjustments for the primer ram travel, They both need to be checked adjustment to ensure primer cup stops in the correct positions. I found both slightly off during my inspection.

When I clean the assemble I usually find black gunk firmly stuck to the aluminum on the primer cup slide. Takes a good solvent and some knuckle grease to remove it.

Just started this new cleaning routine so I am not sure how much of a difference it will make but I am reasonably confident that it will greatly increase the longevity of the plastic tip on the primer feed tube.

​Mohawk,

One thing to be aware of is the screw on cap on the primer magazine. Do NOT screw it down tight but leave it a half turn or so loose. If it is screwed down tight, it will distort the tip on the primer tube and you will have to replace it. I speak from experience.

PP

+10

I've also added some weight to the top of the primer follower rod. Keeping things clean, and replacing the primer tube tip periodically seems to be the answer. I get 5k to 10k rounds out of a plastic tip.

Get the part numbers you want from the Dillonwebsite and phone them, they'll send you the parts for free and some, or lemme know what you want and I'll get em for you.

Are you talking about the pick up tube to load primers?

The part in question goes on the bottom of the primer feeder tube. It is part of the primer magazine assembly. On a dillon 550 the P/N would be 14003, Flexible Orifice Large or P/N 14024, Flexible Orifice Small

​Mohawk,

PP

+10

Another thing I did was to make up a second follower rod. After the buzzer goes off with the original rod, I put in my homemade one which is longer and just short of the bottom of the plastic tip. I like to get all the primers out when done. Put in a hundred, get out a hundred. I found with the shorter stock rod the last 3-4 primers had no pressure on them and sometimes hung up. As soon as you move the lever the primer slide would catch on the partially dropped primer and ruin the plastic tip. Occasionally they would fall inside and get crushed--Bad news. I used a piece of plastic rod from a marking flag and a 38 cal bullet for my second rod. Haven't ruined a tip in a long time. Read on the Dillon forum once that some tips just don't last and others do, I think it's just the nature of a small mass manufactured plastic thin part. Also when adjusting the slide-- take the primer unit off the press and hold it in a small vise-- makes it way easy to see how the cup is lining up and the primers are dropping. The other adjustment for the shell plate end, need to be done on the press. I also now have two primer assemblies, 1 lrg. and 1 sm. so no more adjustment needed when going from 45 to 38, just switch primer assemblies when changing dies and shell plate, its only 3 more screws. Hope I've been some help.

Eyesa

Get the part numbers you want from the Dillonwebsite and phone them, they'll send you the parts for free and some, or lemme know what you want and I'll get em for you.

Howdy Jack..Will see you Feb 4th..don't worry I had a shopping list !!

+10

I think you better add me to that list..pretty sure I have been screwing right down..but did get around 50,00 before the problem arose.

+10

Another thing I did was to make up a second follower rod. After the buzzer goes off with the original rod, I put in my homemade one which is longer and just short of the bottom of the plastic tip. I like to get all the primers out when done. Put in a hundred, get out a hundred. I found with the shorter stock rod the last 3-4 primers had no pressure on them and sometimes hung up. As soon as you move the lever the primer slide would catch on the partially dropped primer and ruin the plastic tip. Occasionally they would fall inside and get crushed--Bad news. I used a piece of plastic rod from a marking flag and a 38 cal bullet for my second rod. Haven't ruined a tip in a long time. Read on the Dillon forum once that some tips just don't last and others do, I think it's just the nature of a small mass manufactured plastic thin part. Also when adjusting the slide-- take the primer unit off the press and hold it in a small vise-- makes it way easy to see how the cup is lining up and the primers are dropping. The other adjustment for the shell plate end, need to be done on the press. I also now have two primer assemblies, 1 lrg. and 1 sm. so no more adjustment needed when going from 45 to 38, just switch primer assemblies when changing dies and shell plate, its only 3 more screws. Hope I've been some help.

Eyesa

+10

Eyesa

Thanks mate..appreciated

I think you'll find an empty 45/70 case fits over the big end of the primer follower rod. You can even put a lead slug inside if you really want extra weight.

See ya at WR?

Howdy Mudflat..No winter Range this year..You still planning on moving?