SASS Wire Forum

Looking to Start

Dead Eye Raith

Howdy pards, I'm new here. Been lurking in the background for a while now. I have started to gather up the guns I need. I was able to acquire a 97 Winchester, now I'm looking for a pair o' pistols and a '73 Winchester and some leather. I really like the vaqueros. I think I want .357. I'm very motivated to start. I found a local club and I'll be headed out in three weeks. Help a pard out! Not looking for a hand out, just some used equipment so I don't spend an arm and a leg.

Edited by Dead Eye Raith

Where ya from? Stop by a few local shoots and ask questions, look at what others are using and even get the feel of 'em, I think you'll have lots of folks letting you check out their guns. Don't rush into getting your iron, there are many good choices and each shooter will have a different opinion. Find what works for you.

Have fun, it's a hoot.

Welcome Dead Eye Raith!

I'm glad to see that you found us. Would you please, view and post on the following thread? http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=259328&hl=

No pressure, it is your choice. I think some people may not be willing to post there until they know more about us. That is okay too.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

Best thing you can do is show up to the monthly matches in your area and try out the different guns and leather setups. Even other shotguns. I speak thisfrom experience. I bought the first set that was available when I started and quickly sold it at a loss because I didn't like them I had ordered some guns that I thought I wanted but the order was screwed up and I was given a great deal on them so I would take them.then I found the pistols I wanted ruger bisleys so I bought another set in 45 since the first was in 357. I gotrifles go with each caliber but I got tired of carrying twice the ammo in. Case of having to switch guns. So I did some test to see which caliber I liked best I settled on the 45s. So sold the 357s off to buy 45 versions thena decade later sold the backups off since I never shot them for357 versions.because I wanted them back. The two rifle I sold early I wish I would have been able to keep. One was a navy arms 1892 in 357 the other was a Henry big boy in 45 coltboth shot wonderfully. Also learn the game by helping out I'm sure you'll be shooting in no time as cas has wonderful helping shooter who even atthe top level help each other out. Someone will have some gear for you to try out and useso I bet by the second or third match you go to you'll be shooting

Where ya from? Stop by a few local shoots and ask questions, look at what others are using and even get the feel of 'em, I think you'll have lots of folks letting you check out their guns. Don't rush into getting your iron, there are many good choices and each shooter will have a different opinion. Find what works for you.

Have fun, it's a hoot.

I'm in Central Texas, Abilene area.

I have plans to make it out on the 3rd Saturday.

Blackey Cole tells it right. My first time was Feb 2014, I had two mismatched 357 pistols (Vaqueros) with a galco holster rig and I was quickly loaned rifle and shotgun first day out and I was hooked. Had plenty of advice about what to buy which saved me lots of time and money. I found that Uberti 1866 or 1873 rifles are the best for this sport. I love my 1866 but I also got a 1873 which I like better. Either one is Easily slicked up to run fast with plenty of parts available. Ruger Vaqueros are great. Gunsmiths can really slick them up with lowered hammers and lightening up springs. The new model Vaqueros come in a SASS version ready to go, but can still be tuned a little. Welcome to the sport, I have always loved the old west and now I get to experience it in some small way. You will have fun and meet some of the best people on the planet. Salt of the earth folks believe me.

'Dont be in a hurry to buy until you have been around a few matches. That way you wont have to buy replacements when you decide you like something else better, it fits tour hand better, cant use what you have in a particular catagory etc. plenty of folks will be willing to offer to let you try their stuff.

my$.02

Imis