SASS Wire Forum

The Difference Between Officers and NCO's

Cat Brules

The Difference Between Officers and NCO's

A young Naval officer was severely wounded in the head by a flight deck accident,

but the only visible, permanent injury was that both of his ears were amputated.

Since his remaining hearing was sufficient, he remained in the Navy

Many years later he eventually rose to the rank of Rear Admiral.

He was, however, very sensitive about his appearance.

One day the Admiral was interviewing three servicemen who were

candidates for his headquarters staff.

The first was a Marine Major, a helicopter pilot, and it was a great interview.

At the end of the interview the Admiral asked him,

'Do you notice anything different about me?' The young officer answered, 'Why, yes. I couldn't help but notice that you have no ears, Sir.

The Admiral was displeased with his lack of tact and threw him out.

The second was with a Navy Lieutenant, and he was even better. The Admiral then asked him the same question, 'Do you notice anything different about me?"

He replied sheepishly, 'Well, yes Sir. You have no ears.' The Admiral also threw him out.

The third interview was with an old Master Chief, an Airdale and staff-trained NCO.

He was smart, articulate, fit, looked sharp, and seemed to know more than the two officers combined.

The Admiral liked this guy, and went ahead with the same question, 'Do you notice anything different about me?'

To his surprise the Master Chief said, 'Yes, sir, you wear contact lenses.'

The Admiral was very impressed and thought, 'What an incredibly observant NCO, and he didn't mention my ears.' He asked, Master Chief, how do you know I wear contacts?' "

"Well, sir,' the old Master Chief replied, "It's pretty hard to wear glasses with no frik'n ears!"

• Like 1

An admiral and a chief were in the barbershop getting haircuts. When finished, the admiral's barber asked if he'd like some tonic in his hair.

The admiral said, "No thanks. I don't want my wife thinking I smell like a bordello."

The chief's barber asked the same thing and the chief replied, "Go ahead and splash it on. My wife doesn't know what a bordello smells like."

Some of that reminds me of my stepfather. He was only a Senior Chief Petty Officer but sounds like something he would have said. He could be very funny.

When I graduated boot camp my parents came up to Great Lakes for the occasion. I had been company honor man and after we were going to some shindig (publicity) and I was walking with my company commander my parents and some Lt.. My stepfather mentioned to the Lt. that he was a retired Navy Chief, the Lt. asked what his job was and he replied "His job was giving Lt.s a hard time". The look on the Lt.'s face was priceless.

Some of that reminds me of my stepfather. He was only a Senior Chief Petty Officer but sounds like something he would have said. He could be very funny.

When I graduated boot camp my parents came up to Great Lakes for the occasion. I had been company honor man and after we were going to some shindig (publicity) and I was walking with my company commander my parents and some Lt.. My stepfather mentioned to the Lt. that he was a retired Navy Chief, the Lt. asked what his job was and he replied "His job was giving Lt.s a hard time". The look on the Lt.'s face was priceless.

Dustin,

I too went through boot there, 1967. In the winter, very cold, lots of snow.

Great Lakes, like most every other military post, is selected for the record of high summer temperatures, low winter temperatures, and disagreeable amounts of rainfall, snowfall, or sunshine. That is why they spend so much money building Officer's clubs, NCO clubs and long drill fields. Mix in the toughest NCOs and Viola, you got military nirvana. :D

Dang Cat, that was great. Only next time gives us a "Spew Alert" or something. So, I'm not eating and reading these kind of posts when no one is home to to give me the "Hiemlich Manuver". Could've killed me dead.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Great Lakes, like most every other military post, is selected for the record of high summer temperatures, low winter temperatures, and disagreeable amounts of rainfall, snowfall, or sunshine. That is why they spend so much money building Officer's clubs, NCO clubs and long drill fields. Mix in the toughest NCOs and Viola, you got military nirvana. :D

Do they still even have clubs?