SASS Wire Forum

Hearing Protection Act

Thoughts on this actually going through. I was going to buy a suppressor, but I am leaning to wait, hoping it might pass. Seems like the waiting period went from a few months to 6 or so.

Wait or get the paper work started... what do you think?

Thoughts on this actually going through. I was going to buy a suppressor, but I am leaning to wait, hoping it might pass. Seems like the waiting period went from a few months to 6 or so.

Current wait time is upwards of 9 months, and the fees are at least $200 over cost of can.

I'm waiting - I'd like one for my .22's, and perhaps a 5.56 and 9mm can each in the future -

I am willing to wait now that we have a more benign administration in place.

SC

I'm waiting.

I think it might pass.

Suppressors might have to be purchased like a firearm with a background check requirement, but no special tax or waiting period required.

This of course, is just an assumption on my wishful thinking.

..........Widder

I've got a few and want more. The waiting is the worst. I read somewhere that the silencer shop was offering refunds of the tax stamp if HPA is approved. Not sure if it was for a specific period of time or during their holiday sales.

It's the wait that prevents me from getting more, not the $200 Tax Stamp. If they both go away, I may have to get another safe.

Totes

As written, the HPA provides for a refund of the stamp tax for suppressors purchased after October 22, 2015. This is so people don't completely stop buying them in anticipation of this passing. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/367

I really hope this passes. I have an annoying uncle that stops by during hunting season every time there's a shot in the area to see if I got anything. A suppressor won't get rid of the sound completely, but it will help.

• Like 1

saw a video of Donald Trump Jr talking about how great they would be to save shooters' hearing.

If the wait and stamp go away might look into it

...now where would I find an 1880s silencer?

cr

SASS isn't NFA-friendly. Shotguns have to be 18 inches, and when I asked if it would be Ok if I used a lever rifle that had a threaded barrel, they said no, even if I didn't use a suppressor on it during a match.

Suppressors will cause lots of issues with shot timers for sure. I've shot speed steel with a non suppressed 10/22 and had the timer not pick up shots.

BUT I STILL WANT A SUPPRESSOR!!!!!

• Like 1

Depending on what caliber, and and surpressor you buy, it'd be wise to see your gunsmith. Many surpressors only have .050 clearance, and the threads on yor barrel for the muzzle brake you have are tipped just enough to get the bullet to "bump" a baffle, or end cap. If you don't already know, have a real gunsmith place a pilot in, and make sure you have clearance. It doesn't take much to take up that 25 thousandths on one side of the outfit to get the bullet to touch, destroying accuracy. Many smiths just thread the darn thing, and spin the muzzle brake on. Doesn't hurt a thing if that's the way you're going to shoot, but an 8 or 10 inch surpressor loaded with baffling is another story.

I shot several suppressed guns recently that were considered professional guns. Used by guys that don't exist. Not the suppressors made with washers and rubber rings in a machined tube. The suppressors were attached to the muzzle breaks and worked on 308, 223, 7mm, and other calibers that I have no idea what they were. One manufacturer was Thunder Beast made here in Cheyenne, there were a couple different types. they all worked well. We were hitting targets at 700 yards with 308 and 7mm, very quiet and little recoil. The muzzle break and suppressor plus the $200 fee totaled around $1500.00 per rifle. Suppressors are legal for hunting in Wyoming.

My neighbor has that system, with the surpressor threaded on to the muzzle brake, that is threaded on to the barrel. Not sure that it reduces recoil anymore than just a surpressor threaded directly to the barrel in felt recoil. We share the same smith in Idaho, and he's truly a machinist. He properly installed it for him. Its a 338 lapua improved. Couple things I don't like about the surpressor are the shift in point of impact, and the length of it. If you buy a 30 inch Hart for the velocity, then have to spin another 8 inches on it, it's too darn long. You either have to load tune, and zero the gun with it off or on, because the poa is different even though it will shoot tight either way. Now some gun makers are building their rifles with a short threaded barrel, with a protective thread collar on it figuring the buyer will put a surpressor on it. This ruins the velocity of the cartridge cutting 6 inches off of it. I spose if I were shooting high volumes of rounds in one spot on a bench, I'd buy one. Lunger

• Like 1

My neighbor has that system, with the surpressor threaded on to the muzzle brake, that is threaded on to the barrel. Not sure that it reduces recoil anymore than just a surpressor threaded directly to the barrel in felt recoil. We share the same smith in Idaho, and he's truly a machinist. He properly installed it for him. Its a 338 lapua improved. Couple things I don't like about the surpressor are the shift in point of impact, and the length of it. If you buy a 30 inch Hart for the velocity, then have to spin another 8 inches on it, it's too darn long. You either have to load tune, and zero the gun with it off or on, because the poa is different even though it will shoot tight either way. Now some gun makers are building their rifles with a short threaded barrel, with a protective thread collar on it figuring the buyer will put a surpressor on it. This ruins the velocity of the cartridge cutting 6 inches off of it. I spose if I were shooting high volumes of rounds in one spot on a bench, I'd buy one. Lunger

In space (or Eastern Washington) no one can hear you scream..... Whee you're at Lunger nobody needs a suppressor LOL.

Edited by Key Hay

Pretty sure Thunder Beast did the installation on these rifles. One of the guys there ordered three cans. Had some high end guns and great shooters. Way beyond my long range abilities. They set up the shots and adjustments all I did was put the cross hairs on the targets and squeeze the trigger.

My first stamp went thru in a couple of months I'm getting ready to buy my second can. The tax fee will give a $200 tax credit if the law does pass yes they get the money in the mean time what the heck I'm wanting my new can

FYI

A suppresser for 556 don't work to well

Get one for 308 and use on 556. Get 45 that you can add adapter for a 9mm

Theses are better investment

Through several folks I've had access to a few already, and will try more before I buy.

Thanks for the input.

SC

I have a class 3 (SOT) license and I can tell you the wait is the better part of a year. I would start the paper work and worse case get the suppressor in a year. It would suck to wait and the bill never get passed, then have to wait another year.

Slick

Edited by Slick McClade
  • Like 2

there is so much misinformation in this thread. 5.56 doesent suppress well? wrong! suppressors dont lessen felt recoil? wrong. good suppressors negatively affect accuracy? wrong. wrong wrong wrong. cutting down barrels on most calibers may only amount to a couple hundred feet per second or less speed loss. Quality suppressors enhance accuracy, its proven time and time again. if you lose a couple fps what does that do? nothing adjust your drop and go. quality suppressor improve the shooter, by reducing felt recoil, by taking away the loud noise, by allowing you to see your hits through your scope and put follow up rounds on target faster.

if any of you are in my area and want to try out some suppressors get ahold of me and I will give you the opportunity, so you can make an informed decision.

Please, please please, call your legislators and ask them to pass this bill!

Silencers are fantastic, and I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to start the paperwork now. If the HPA passes, the demand will quickly outreach the supply and you thought 22 ammo was hard to find.....just wait (IMO). NFA tracker provides some average wait times, which have always been long. If the HPA passes, your wait time may be just as long, or longer - as you will not be waiting for the manufacturer to just make them. I want to protect my son's hearing, to this end we use suppressors whenever we can in shooting. It also tends to keep the neighbors happy.

I'd echo Lungers comments, about installation.

Not sure how we could accommodate suppressors into SASS - and not sure we need to.

"The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act was delivered by GOP sponsors U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina and Rep. John Carter of Texas and aims to deregulate suppressors as a safety measure to help promote their use in protecting hearing."

http://www.guns.com/2017/01/10/hearing-protection-act-introduced-to-new-congress/

I would urge y'all to contact your congress-critters and Senators about this bill. Remember suppressors and silencers are the same thing. Stress these devices would still require the same paperwork and background check, along with all the regulatory protections that a handgun would.