SASS Wire Forum

Powder for .45-70

Rye Miles #13621

I gotta start loading some .45-70 soon, I used to use Clay's but I'd like to know what everyone's using out there. It's for a Marlin 1895 Cowboy.

No I am NOT going to load black powder so save your BP comments please!! :lol:

H 4895,,, 5744,,,,

• Like 1

AA5744, IMR3031, but... in fact, your intended use may include a bunch of others. For cast loads, get a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, Ed. #4, it'll give you what they found as the most accurate load (in their test platform, YMMV), and many choices.

• Like 2

Almost forgot, 4198 worked great also. Recoil may have been a little sharper, but it didn't kick you really hard. I didn't have any 5744 to try. I don't think my rifle was fussy. It wanted to run right outta the gate......

I have a nice light load for 4198 or 4895 if anyone is interested. So far I have tested it with bullets from 350 to 425 grains with good results.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 1

Not sure if this is pertinent but when I was loading 38-55 I tried many powders but the 5744 gave me the best results all around. My friend that loaded 45-70 suggested it.

• Like 1

Trail Boss.

I started out with 4198, but while the "Trapdoor safe" loads were fine in my 1884 Trapdoor RIFLE, were real shoulder thumpers in my 1873 Trapdoor Carbine and 86 Winchester with a 20" barrel.

Switched to Trailboss and now it is a very pleasant round to shoot in all those guns.

IMR3031, 4198, 4195 and Trailboss depending on what is available. I like Trailboss but to me it can be a bit expensive when you consider that they don't give you a full pound for the price and 45-70 eats a lot of powder. The IMR powders do seem to pack more recoil even in my Sharps heavy buffalo rifle which weights in at over 9 lbs.

I shoot the Sharps, a Henry all Weather and an 1886.

TInpan McGurk

I use BP or Unique .

I have said a Thousand Times .

You Can Load Anything With Unique.

For Mild to Mild Magnum Unique will do most anything .

Hey Rye....I got some OOOOOLD unique. You load up some cartridges with that and your pards might thing you went back to being a Soot Lord...LOL

Faygo(that'll see ya in the spring)Kid

• Like 1

I use TB and ADI 2207 (4198 equiv).

I use the TB for plinking loads in my Sabatti DR (around 1000fps) and the 2207 makes the hot loads for the DR and my Sharps (by hot I mean around 1400fps for the sharps and 1900fps for the DR).

I use 405gr cast slugs in both rifles and I have 405gr Woodleighs for anything that needs to be knocked over (we have some big pigs, and one day I want to take a Water Buffalo with it).

Edited by Major Crimes

IMR3031, 4198, 4195 and Trailboss depending on what is available. I like Trailboss but to me it can be a bit expensive when you consider that they don't give you a full pound for the price and 45-70 eats a lot of powder. The IMR powders do seem to pack more recoil even in my Sharps heavy buffalo rifle which weights in at over 9 lbs.

I shoot the Sharps, a Henry all Weather and an 1886.

TInpan McGurk

4195?

I need help with the reloading dies of the 45-70

What are the best dies

I am using the Redding 80209

with the Lee factor crimp

the bullet setter is not working on 500gr projectiles

Please let me know what dies to get?

Much good advice here, I won't add to the powder selections because fine fellows who are younger, smarter and better lookin' than me have already given sound advice.

Let me instead expand on using Unique.

I thought "It's a big case and a small amount of powder, I'll make sure it's against the flash hole" -- so I stuffed wadded up squares of toilet paper on top of the powder charge.

Three shots and it looked like I was shooting chickens instead of a Gould's Express.

Cleaned up my mess, quit using toilet tissue, went to a card wad atop the powder and corn meal to take up the rest of the volume.

Probably unnecessary but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I know just enough to get in trouble.

• Like 1