SASS Wire Forum

Yul Lose. Is This What You Used To Do?

Del Rio Pete

Yes, but I was in much better shape.

There ain't enough money made to get me up there.

How often do they have to change that light bulb?

Looks like the world is actually flat! HUH.

Usually it's done on an annual basis because if you wait until a beacon like that is out you run the risk of aircraft colliding with the tower and that would result in deaths, civil monetary damages and probable criminal charges against the tower owner. The companies that I did tower maintenance on had maintenance scheduled for that type of thing. After climbing a tower like that your feet were very sore because those ladder rungs are not kind to your feet. I bought the best boots possible and my feet still suffered. It wouldn't be unusual to stay on a tower like that for an entire eight hours or more. If you were rigging antennas, Heliax (coax to some), it was usually a multi day job and then if the wind came up you'd have to leave the tower and come back when the conditions were safer for tower work. If the beacon were to fail between scheduled changing then you had to get it changed immediately or risk an aircraft collision. Edited by Yul Lose

When I was in Vietnam I saw a 300' tower fall with a worker at the top, It happened at Tan Son Nhut air base in I think 1968, I later heard the man died but never any more details, That's one memory I can't get out of my head the poor guy was hanging on with nowhere to go.

When I was in Vietnam I saw a 300' tower fall with a worker at the top, It happened at Tan Son Nhut air base in I think 1968, I later heard the man died but never any more details, That's one memory I can't get out of my head the poor guy was hanging on with nowhere to go.

Down! :( I notice in the video there were no clouds in the sky! Don't think I'd like to be up there (under any circumstances) but for sure not trolling for lightning bolts! :o Obviously, this guy doesn't suffer from agoraphobia. I know some pilots who can't get up on a stepladder, but are fine on a plane because they take advantage of "breakoff phenomenon", where you take your frame of reference from the aircraft floor, not how high above the ground you are. I'll pass (out?) on this tower stuff, thank you!

Yul Lose .

I take my hat off to you if thats what you used to do .

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL !

Down! :( I notice in the video there were no clouds in the sky! Don't think I'd like to be up there (under any circumstances) but for sure not trolling for lightning bolts! :o Obviously, this guy doesn't suffer from agoraphobia. !

Or acrophobia!