SASS Wire Forum

I found a new issue with powder coated bullets

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I just opened up a new box of powder coated CAS bullets and found that they looked like crap.

Many had voids and unfilled noses, bases, etc. I guess the vendor thought that the powder coat would cover up the sin.

These bullets are so bad that I culled them and I will probably not even use them for practice.

Has anyone else run into this?

Mustang

Your issue is not with powder coated bullets. It is with a crummy bullet caster. It's like painting a car. If you paint over dents the car is still going to be dented. Your heading makes it sound like the coating caused some sort of problem. That is apparently not so.

• Like 2

I've not seen much this problem, though the last box of Missouri Bullet Co. bullets had two or three that were not properly formed. Out of probably 20,000 that I've used over the past 3 years, these were the first such poorly formed bullets. When I went to seat them on the belled case, they fell into the case. I didn't think much of it, as it was only a couple out of so many thousand, but the fact that they all occurred in a single box of 1000, seemed odd.

If you have a bunch of bad bullets, I'd call the mfg and let them know. Most if not all will gladly make things right for you.

Your issue is not with powder coated bullets. It is with a crummy bullet caster. It's like painting a car. If you paint over dents the car is still going to be dented. Your heading makes it sound like the coating caused some sort of problem. That is apparently not so.

Yep what Larsen said, unfortunately some sellers coat crappy bullets because it does cover up faults !

Never had a problem with any of mine.I like them very much.

So far no issues with Cimarron Bullets. That said; I highly recommend that you contact the vendor. If they do not make it right them find a new supplier. Keep in mind that when making thousands of bullets an hour using an automated machine there are bound to be occasional glitches.

So far I have only had 2 issues with various bullet suppliers.

First was a box of 1000 158 grain bullets I bought from a vendor for some non-SASS shooting. The problem was that the lube was brittle and was flaking off in the box. Called the vendor and in addition to a verbal apology he sent me a replacement box for free.

Second time different vendor the all of the 500 hundred 45-70 bullets I ordered were undersized. They were supposed to be .458 but were sized .452. Again vendor made it right by replacing all the bullets for free.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

I just opened up a new box of powder coated CAS bullets and found that they looked like crap.

Many had voids and unfilled noses, bases, etc. I guess the vendor thought that the powder coat would cover up the sin.

These bullets are so bad that I culled them and I will probably not even use them for practice.

Has anyone else run into this?

Mustang

Where were they from and what coating process does the company have?

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Jack:

They use the acetone/tumbling process. Not the electrostatic charge and heat way.

But the issue is that the physical bullets are badly formed.

And so far the coating seems to stay on well.

MG

Ok so it sounds like they're using the Hi Tek product, which is the best, but that doesn't mean the actual projectile can be poorly made.!

I get mine from SNS castings in Missouri I think they are, or Chey cast in Cheyenne, both use the Hi Tek product.

All very good products.

I have had bullets from 2 different vendors of Cowboy bullets that were not acceptable. One was a vender of BP bullets (100%) were from a mold that was so out of whack that after sizing they still had gaps on the sides and would not chamber in a pair of 45 Colt Rugers . Another a couple of years ago had wrinkles and were poorly formed, about half of them.

kR

Contact the folks that made them and let them know. They normally want to know and should send you some replacements.

I bought some from a vendor and they were concerned and sent me replacements of what we figured were about the right number (plus a few more) to fix me up.

If they do not respond well, then let us know.

• Like 1

The one whose bullets were so poorly made that they would not chamber in my Rugers also said they would be sent in 2 weeks, it was over a month and he would not answer my texts to him and finally sent the bullets AFTER I requested a refund. Reprehensible at best.

kR

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

I lost a sale the other day because a new Pard came in and was looking at some of those same Hi Tek bullets and he saw a bunch of badly formed ones.

He left and didn't buy ANY bullets.

It doesn't look good for my gun shop to sell "bad" bullets.

Mustang Gregg

[Wild West Arms, Inc.]

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

I lost a sale the other day because a new Pard came in and was looking at some of those same Hi Tek bullets and he saw a bunch of badly formed ones.

He left and didn't buy ANY bullets.

It doesn't look good for my gun shop to sell "bad" bullets.

Mustang Gregg

[Wild West Arms, Inc.]

Call your vendor and ask them to make it right. If they don't them tell them you will let everyone you know about their poor quality. There are way too many good bullet casters out there to waste your time one that produces a poor quality product.

Powder / Hi-Tech coating IS NOT the problem. The problem is poor casting quality.

• Like 2

I am in agreement to several things already mentioned,,Hi-Tech coating is more than likely not the problem and bad casting is. There are better coaters than others and certainly better casters among the many. There are those that coat in several applications and those that do less. Quality is assured by some over others...in casting and/or coating. I certainly believe this particular vendor should have opportunity to make things right and assure an attempt to correct product for future. With satisfaction in attempt then you can so choose afterwards whether to continue using the company as your vendor or search for a product that pleases you and your customers better. my 2 cents

Howdy, Pards!

Please quit sending me PM's telling me to post the name of the outfit who is making the badly cast bullets.

I will not post their name unless they won't replace the bad bullets.

And regardless of what my thread title says, I do realize the issue is the bullet, and not the coating.

Respectfully,

Mustang

• Like 1

Howdy, Pards!

Please quit sending me PM's telling me to post the name of the outfit who is making the badly cast bullets.

I will not post their name unless they won't replace the bad bullets.

And regardless of what my thread title says, I do realize the issue is the bullet, and not the coating.

Respectfully,

Mustang

I guess that's one way of looking at it BUT....... If I were shopping around for some bullets (coated or not) I would like to know if one of the contenders for my business was selling shoddy work!

• 2 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, Ripsaw said:

I've not seen much this problem, though the last box of Missouri Bullet Co. bullets had two or three that were not properly formed. Out of probably 20,000 that I've used over the past 3 years, these were the first such poorly formed bullets. When I went to seat them on the belled case, they fell into the case. I didn't think much of it, as it was only a couple out of so many thousand, but the fact that they all occurred in a single box of 1000, seemed odd.

* ps - well actually, my wife lets me think that I'm the owner

Edited by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217
Commercial posts are not allowed.
  • Like 2

I ordered a few thousand coated bullets.  They looked great, but I noticed that 5% or so slid into the brass too far.  SO I measured and although the top of the bullet was .358, the bottom may be below .350.

So I contacted the maker.  He checked into it and found that one of his molds was messed up.  He thanked me for letting him know and sent me 500 bullets to make up for it.

It matters where the lead comes from... foundry... where I get mine... or scrap, Linotype, wheel weights... it's a quality control issue, too. 

• Like 1

But the issue is that the physical bullets are badly formed.

Call he vendor and ask for a refund?  And if they want to pay return shipping.  Otherwise,, the badly formed bullets go in the pot