SASS Wire Forum

Any of you.....

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Every had the privilege of owning a Monza? I don't know how anyone could contain themselves all wrapped up in such sophisticated European styling. Its almost like someone really good at building Pinewood Derby cars had a chance in Detroit.

chevy_monza_towne_coupe_burg_1975.jpg

chevrolet-monza-9.jpg

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins

I had the Pontiac version, a Sunbird. I think it was a 76. I loved that car. Ugly green color, black interior, no AC, 4 speed, Iron Duke engine. The 6 cylinder and V8 were option that had a 5 speed. Mine would really scoot. I even considered putting a small block V8 in it but couldn't find out if my transmission would work or if I had to change that too.

Kinda reminds me of a VEGA

Largo

My Vega panel wagon was a pretty good car. Economical, reliable, fair load capacity, zero to sixty in just under five minutes, top speed of about ninety. I bought it used for $250.00.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935

My Vega panel wagon was a pretty good car. Economical. reliable, fair load capacity, zero to sixty in just under five minutes, top speed of about ninety. I bought it used for $250.00.

Ninety in, what, 15 minutes, downhill?

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

Hey! Easy on the Vega! My '71 got me through college and law school. I had a part time job in an auto parts store, and my employee discount was too great to resist. After adding a set of Hooker headers, a Holley 4-barrell, and some other go-fast goodies, I bet my 110 hp four banger was delivering a screaming 118 hp, applied to the ground through a 2 speed Powerglide tranny! :wacko:

Some folks had miserable aluminum block failures; my mechanicals were solid; it was the rust that finally caught up to me. New, it was $1995; it brought $350 used in 1977, with over 100,000 miles and advancing body rot.

Wished I could have gotten my hands on a Cosworth GT version; lots of promise in those little cars.

LL

The Monza, the Vega, the Pinto, the Gremlin, the Dart and very junky Japanese imports.

Those were the days of the $250 car.

Gas shortages and intensifying environmental concerns and the largest luxury cars of all times.

The '70's were the "transition years" in car making. Up till then, almost everything was heavyweight Detroit iron, built of steel with little concern for weight; if it was heavy, just put in a bigger engine; no worries about gas supply or prices. Very little plastic.

Then came the gas crunch, and the need for higher mileage cars. More plastic and aluminum to lighten car bodies and engines; crude evolving electronics; government mandated "pollution control systems" and "5 mph bumpers" (that looked like battering rams on the front and chastity belts on the rear); suddenly, graceful design and performance were replaced by conflicting design goals, and a huge gap in quality and drivability appeared. Remember how your '70's car used to "diesel" or percolate when you shut it off? And then would not start without a screwdriver stuck in the choke to hold it open?

Blissfully, we have progressed to fuel economy through higher engineering; the late model full size cars now get better gas mileage, with better performance, than did the Japanese "econoboxes" of the '70's. And they are much more exciting to drive.

• Like 1

Those were pretty solid little cars with the OHV 4 cylinder or a V6 or V8! I had a '75 Monza fastback that came with a V8 4spd. It would only run about 135 mph, so I pulled out the small block and installed a 427!! We did replace the differential assy. with a better one. Gas mileage went into the toilet, but 165 mph was NO PROBLEM!! Wife had a '77 with the Vega engine! GM replaced two of them under warranty before we installed a 302 Z28 engine. These were good little platforms for a light, quick, sporty little hotrod and you could use factory parts to do it!! The Monza fastback was a pretty slick looking little car in it's day!!

The '75 wound up with a full tube chassis and a REALLY big engine. I ran it on the drag strip for a year or two before graduating to a rear engine dragster.

The fastback model of the Monza/Sunbird was the real predecessor to the GenIII Camaro/Firebird!!

I had a 1973 Plymouth Duster (same as the Dart) just like this but with a 225 cid slant six and no rally stripes. Bought it brand new for $2,500. I still think it's a nice looking car.

The only other good thing about it was the engine and tranny, which was a floor mounted 3-speed stick. I had to pay $35 to have the shifter on the floor instead steering column.

The rest of the car was crap. Typical of the era, it was very poorly made. You could practically hear it rust. At the time I doubt the term quality assurance was familiar in Detroit board rooms or on the factory floor.

xpass-side.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EQH2gG6OyM.j

The Monza, the Vega, the Pinto, the Gremlin, the Dart and very junky Japanese imports.

Those were the days of the $250 car.

Gas shortages and intensifying environmental concerns and the largest luxury cars of all times.

Ford is re-introducing the Pinto, now to be named the Hindenburg. :P:P

A friend of mine forced a 350 engine into his Vega station wagon. My god was that thing fast in a straight line. It couldn't handle turns worth a darn. He rolled it....several times. He limped away from the incident. The car looked like a giant shiny cigar though.

Anyone remember the ugliest cars on the planet? AMC's. That Pacer was Uuuuuuugggglllllleeeeeeeeee.

I think Yugos looked better, but not by much.

I remember seeing Lake Pipes on a Corvair, going doen the road. Made me giggle, seeing that on a rear-engined car.

Then one day it was in my friend's gas station, on the lift getting an oil change.

The owner had dropped a '65 327 Vette engine in the trunk. :!