SASS Wire Forum

Loaning guns in NY is a problem!

Nickel City Dude

Just want to say thanks for the info.

Will check out Annabelle Bransford website for a bit more guidance as well.

Friend of mine lives in Binghamton (sp) and has invited me to come to his oldest daughters wedding on August 12.

Don't know how much time I will have to get out but thought I might see what is going on that time of year and start the planning process.

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

WOW I'm figuring we have s*** laws in Australia but it appears NY is not much better..thinkin' I'II cross them off our list...

Here is the response I got from the NY State Police pistol permit office.

"As long as the individual who is loading the handgun has a valid pistol permit, it is permissible under the law.

Please re-contact me if you have any further questions."

Inv. C.A. Hunt, NYSP-Pistol Permit Bureau

That's good to hear. I guess the information I received was wrong. The only thing I will say is that sometimes the State Police have been known to give several different answers to the same question.

First, NEVER ask the state police for advice on anything to do with firearms. I can't tell you how many times my state police told shooters coming to my Egg Shoots the wrong thing. I tested them a few times myself and got totally different answers depending on who answered the phone. A lawyer well versed in these things is your best resource.

You can transport firearms anywhere in the country as long as they are out of your control and secured in some type of container or locked compartment. UPS and FEDX drivers that pick up a load of Smith and Wessons in Massachusetts MUST go through NY state to get just about anywhere in the country. I'm sure all those guns are not registered to the driver or he has a licence to carry/possess in every state he traverses.

But I've still never received absolute resolve about the over ten cartridge in a lever gun in NY question answered.

First, NEVER ask the state police for advice on anything to do with firearms. I can't tell you how many times my state police told shooters coming to my Egg Shoots the wrong thing. I tested them a few times myself and got totally different answers depending on who answered the phone. A lawyer well versed in these things is your best resource.

You can transport firearms anywhere in the country as long as they are out of your control and secured in some type of container or locked compartment. UPS and FEDX drivers that pick up a load of Smith and Wessons in Massachusetts MUST go through NY state to get just about anywhere in the country. I'm sure all those guns are not registered to the driver or he has a licence to carry/possess in every state he traverses.

But I've still never received absolute resolve about the over ten cartridge in a lever gun in NY question answered.

Transporting through and attending a shoot are entirely different.

lR

Roy

The law on 10 rounds in a lever gun is pretty clear. But the reality is that no one is lurking around cowboy shoot to see if you can load 10 or 12 in your lever gun. Also police would only charge you with this law if you did something else and they were looking to pile on extra charges to put against you.